Project Bros 400

Any more updates?

Not done much in a while, been moving house and broke the drz.

Riding it a bunch though, and it’s great! Feels a lot faster then it is, which is healthy for keeping my licence.
It’s burning oil like a two stroke, so going to need a top end rebuild, though one of the exhaust studs doesn’t want to play.
And then I’m wondering about big bore while the heads are off, or of it’s better as is.

2 Likes

The MOT ran out recently, which means its been on the road a year.
the plan was to MOT it and carry on fixing it, but I seem to have forgotten that and just kept riding it.

It got the new rear plastics and seat cowl on now, still in grey primer though. I’m thinking I might vynal wrap to avoid the large costs of a respray, that then can come at a later date (once more important things are fixed).

I’ve picked up a 2nd tank from ebay for cheap as its already dented, and listed for the wrong bike. Put a bunch of rust removing stuff in it and left overnight, rinsing it out today found two small holes in the front which want welding.
The plan was to fit this tank for the trackday so that if I do bin it, then i don’t destroy a hard to get tank, though not sure if I can get it ready before Lydden Hill on Saturday.

Also want a temperature gauge for the trackday, not managed to get a new one yet but I still have the old one that was in the original clock, and the plug into the loom for it is still there, so another part I want to find a way to mount for Saturday.

Finally getting a new front tyre too, as this is the one that came with the front end, and estimated to be about 10 years old.
Uploading: IMG_20220725_152841.jpg…

1 Like

A few more holes than I thought thered be

1 Like

Looks like someone’s been using it for shotgun practice!

If it doesn’t fix up like new cut it half and use it to strain your veggies

1 Like

Have you considered welding the top of another tank to the base of the bros one to make an endurance race tank?

1 Like

It’s off somewhere. I’m hoping it’s to the scrap yard

1 Like

No such luck :frowning:

You’re doing a trackday, and you’re upset about that? What’s wrong with you!? :slight_smile:

I’m not doing the track day! I just got forced to come along to take photos.

The coffee is good though so it’s ok.

Hah, okay. Though we are doing a trackday on the 18th Aug, if you’re interested. There’s a new post for it.

I haven’t graduated from Sainsbury’s car park yet so that might be a little bit optimistic…

1 Like

Proof the Bros actually goes

2 Likes

Pictures to follow, but the Bros did fantastically yesterday on track. Lydden hill is well suited to a 400, though I’m still struggling for speed. I’m going to play with different sized sprockets for when I return in two weeks (fixing the compression might be a good idea too, but that’s not happening this side of winter).

Had slight ground clearance issues too, but that’s made me get my arse off the seat and lean off the bike (and finally get a knee down). The sidestand has a few scrapes (but only one left-hand bend, so not so much), and the shiny new exhaust is less shiny and new.

I want to get the suspension set up properly, but the rear is still the original 34-year-old shock, and the bottom bolt is seized in place. I have an old fireblade shock that can go in and get the adjustment, but that bolt is the current hold-up there

1 Like

Good on you mate!

Has the suspension been serviced? i.e. oil and any consumables changed? That would absolutely make the most positive difference in track performance.

no, the rear is a sealed unit, but it might be worth doing the front

Definitely, and worth getting the rear uprated if you plan on doing more trackdays.

It doesn’t have the power for most tracks though.

It’s tempting to try and fix that, but I don’t think it’s worth it

Time for an SV650 track bike by the sounds of it

1 Like