I turned my suspension preload too far!

Is that because there’s only one of you? :rofl:

:joy: that’s part of it. And I imagine the sight of two blokes lifting the back of a bike, and a third crouched over the rear wheel is bound to attract the wrong kind of attention.

Shame it didn’t grip enough .
Perhaps time to swing by your local dealer or if you have a friendly mechanic

Doesnt have to be exactly on that ring perhaps try it slightly lower … or if you can get the strap between the spring coils onto the inner silver .

Yes I’ve tried a few different spots to get more grip around it. No such luck.

Just to clarify you are attempting to going though the settings (1,2,3,4,5 etc) not attempting going from 1-5 directly ?

What tools do you have? Do you have everything needed to remove exhaust and the actual shock?

Stepping up one by one seems the easiest. Going straight from 1 to 5 in the wrong direction would require compressing the spring a lot.

Trying to avoid doing that, a) never done it, b) might not have all the tools.

This is why i wanted to check just in case . Yep 1 -2-3-4-5 etc definitely the way to go .

I live in Watford I have plenty of tools so give you hand if you want. This is what I did to my 990SMT prior to service and MOT:

Thanks for the offer! I might take you up on it. Will get in touch when I get around to solving this problem again. Cheers!

OK, sounds like a suspension and cake party in the planning. :grinning:

Makes a change from your usual suspenders and cake party :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You certainly enjoyed the last one. :laughing: :crazy_face:

Took a while to get around to it but finally the solution was quite simple.

1. Remove the chain guard. This creates enough space to do the job.
  2. Keep turning the suspension preload around til you get to where you need to go.

Thanks to all for the ideas contributed here. In the process I have been considering upgrading rear suspension and pipes!

3 Likes

The suspense built up around this, then the solution sounds so simple it seems a bit of a let down.

Hope you have been able to set it somewhere you are happy.

That great news, now you can back to the serious work of riding.

1 Like

Sorry to disappoint. On the plus side, I now have a strap wrench for opening jars with sticky lids!

And a cake party isn’t off the table either.

1 Like