150 mile daily commute

pan european

i would get something second hand… not a beater because you need something reliable but something thats taken a large depreciation knock already. I would look at a versys.  They have the same engine as the ER6 (which i own) but i would assume better weather protection and i have to say my ER6 has never needed anything in the 20k miles I’ve put on it apart from a chain and tyres… (and I’m very bad at maintaining chains).  They get very good mpg too if you don’t cane it too much. You might find it a bit gutless on the motorways though if you’re used to powerful bikes… but they’re not bad still… easily shoot up to 100mph before the power tapers off

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/282002012543

Is this a good deal?

its a barge not very good at filtering

& considering it mileage it would last possibly 2years max with your commute  & the cost of serving a BMW ? 

if it was me & im a long range commuter I would look at a faired bandit first

Cheers

the main problem to consider

is what you want to ride

Tank range

Mileage  

whatever mileage it has you will be doing 150miles per day so you need a tank range of at least 170+ your weekly mileage x46 weeks puts you in the 35K+ a year just commuting

there are so many opinions on what would be the best bike only you will know what you feel comfortable with 

LB members can only suggest bikes for you to consider

im on a GSXR 1000 & a 150 mile commute would be possible as my tank range is just enough.

ive seen an old boy coming into London on an old K1100 from the Colchester area in all weathers & he seens happy enough but he is a plodder and always waves me through one day im going to stop him & find out the mileage of his bike ive been passing him for 5 years now

Yes all that mileage I would be looking for comfort, complete wind resistance and heated grips, and a big enough engine to handle the big mileage.

Yes all that mileage I would be looking for comfort, complete wind resistance and heated grips, and a big enough engine to handle the big mileage. KTMJames
I added heated grips & now have a heated vest & gloves ( pure luxury)

looking at heated insoles as a treat to myself

I know a few BMW’s have had final drive problems but not sure what models

Wise … “im on a GSXR 1000 & a 150 mile commute would be possible as my tank range is just enough.” … didn’t you say you had to have the bike tuned to reach that 150 mark?

Wise .... "im on a GSXR 1000 & a 150 mile commute would be possible as my tank range is just enough." ...... didn't you say you had to have the bike tuned to reach that 150 mark? IanWilliamson
I can get 170miles at a arse clenching push but wont go over 160miles

the bike is tuned & decated which helps with the MPG I get around 11 miles to a litre with a fair paced commute

Until my ZZR’s engine ‘exploded’ ( … its in the process of repairs) I have/had two bikes …

I ran my ZZR for the winter. It could take a lot of power drains from the heated this and heated that that I have, plus additional lights etc. Its a 1996, so I wasn’t concerned over Winter blight …

For the summer I have my ZX10r, and I smile from home to work and back again.

My vfr800 is cheap comfortable and powerful enough but not as good through traffic as a sport bike

If I was munching motorways and wanted something second hand my vote would be for something like a K1300S, Blackbird or ZZR1400. I wouldn’t want to get The Beast dirty either!

Or a GS, plenty of decent used ones about.