150 mile daily commute

I’m up at 4 and also finish at 18.30, it takes me 1.5hrs by bike and 2 by car if the traffic is light which is rare, my firm doesn’t pay for anything (part of the reason I’m moving) I do find it very tiring

up at 4? WTF?? you live to work mate, good thing that you are moving

up at 4? WTF?? you live to work mate, good thing that you are moving WildBoy
seconded ...and I thought I got up early....

House is on the market, just hope it sells quick (I can get a new bike then as well) :grin:

I can only advise from my own experience and I have only owned my Bandit 1250SA for the past 9 years, but it has had over 80k miles of use since new in all weathers and still feels brand new to ride, engine is terrific - very smooth and torquey. Most of my riding has been with a pillion and a lot of luggage in the top box.

They’re cheap to buy, easy to customise - I’ve added heated grips, luggage, customised saddle and twin air horns to mine - service and repair, and will do all you ask of it if you look after it, and it doesn’t take much looking after.

Fuel economy varies from about 35mpg (in town with lots of quick acceleration) to over 50mpg on motorways. You will need to fill up once a day, but no more often than that.

They’re relatively heavy but from my experience heavy is good on motorways - you’re less affected by sidewinds, and it feels very solid, stable and predictable to ride.

And no one will want to nick it.

Blackbird.

Suzuki almost always have a 0% deal running if you do think V Strom

I’m up at 5:30 and out of the door at 6:15 to start at 8 I finish at 5 and home around 6:45
It won’t always be like that as I work in the construction industry and move from site to site
I love working in London but there is nothing better than going home I reach a point on my route where I can see the sea from a distance and I know I’ll be home in ten mins

You can’t get views like this on London

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

And what tyres are you all using for these horrendous commutes?

I’m using PR 3
Did use PR4 but didn’t like them
I’ve used loads of different tyres over the years but I do steer clear of true sports tyres as they just don’t last
I’m also thinking of trying something different on my next change in the near future
It’s two sets of tyres and front brakes each year one set of rear two sets of chain and sprockets
Usaly a fork rebuild and this year I’ve done two sets of front wheel bearings and one rear
And fro some reason I do headlight bulbs every few months which I’ve changed to nightbreakers

Ian Williamson also has a long commute
He is just a little up from Marks Tey to st Thomas hospital
He uses a zx10r until his ZZR is fixed

I use PR3 tried the 4 but for some reason I got less mileage out of the 4

I think we’re missing a couple of important bits of data here. What’s your budget & what sort of parking is available to you in London?

Thanks.

I’m using my GSXR750 for my 70 miles a day commute, 14 days a month max from May. Added 2k miles since mid Feb but don’t think it sensible to have another bike in London. Was thinking of changing it for something more reliable as driving is the only option. My S20 evo rear is near end of life so likely to fit PR3s next.

You all are crazy and I respect you for that. 150 mile commute is something I can’t even fathom. 40-50 minutes for me already feels like time lost. I’d move for work or find work closer to home if I had to do it :slight_smile:

Hayabusa. Cheap, reliable and good on fuel when cruising.

You all are crazy and I respect you for that. 150 mile commute is something I can't even fathom. 40-50 minutes for me already feels like time lost. I'd move for work or find work closer to home if I had to do it :) Cypheragreed
Blackbird. benedictireland
+1  I sold my third back end of last year at 130,000 miles.  My previous 2 did over 100,000 miles each without any major issue or problem.

Great mile munchers, get a late one and they are cheap to buy, and at 6 feet 5 I was able to spend every day, all day in the saddle without any issues.

ZZR1100 … I did 120 miles daily (1hr, 40mins) and loved it. In pieces at present and hoping tyo get her back on the road soon. Madness on a sofa !!!