Which winter s**t heap to buy...

Okay, well i sold my kawasaki er6f last summer to help me towards buying a house … and as with any biker, i’m now back to wishing i never did.

as a replacement i bought a honda lead 110! nice upgrade? ha. Now you see why i NEED another bike.

Of course because it’s winter i don’t want anything too fancy so heres my criteria:

• Less than £2k, its just a workhorse
  • Reliable - Age, milage isn't a big factor as long as it's reliable!
  • capable at 70mph+ comfortably for a 1hr motorway blast every so often

so far i’ve looked at:

1. Kawasaki zzr
  2. suzuki bandit
  3. honda hornet
  4. yamaha divvy
  5. honda cb5,kwaka er5, suzy gs5
  6. yamaha fazer 600
  7. suzuki sv650
  8. suzuki gsxr600 srad

Any of the above

Honda deauville? Not sure if it’s in budget…

What are you doing with it? If it’s just commuting and in London, get something naked to avoid brittle old plastics.

I’d get a CB500 or an NTV.

I’d get a SV 650 curvy

Honda deauville? Not sure if it's in budget...
Serrisan

Good option, theres a few older ones in budget - thanks for that.  I see it's shaft drive too which might be a good thing? what is the theory behind chain being the more common choice for manufacturers?

What are you doing with it? If it's just commuting and in London, get something naked to avoid brittle old plastics.

I’d get a CB500 or an NTV.

Big Red S
well i'm moving out a bit more, towards the guildford area - my partners just got a job down there and because I'm the one with the licence... i'm the one who has to do the commuting slog ha. - so yes to answer your question, ill be doing some A3 and right into london so i want something nimble and capable at higher speeds also - ill check the NTV out - thanks
I'd get a SV 650 curvy Wise
I am a bit partial towards the v twins.. i loved the low down grunt of my er6 for around town - but now big reds highlighted brittle plastics, it's got me thinking about how much of a pain faired bikes are to work on as i like to do my own servicing but i equally don't like to spend time doing it!

I’d have a look at the CBF600 later FI models.

The youngest NTV has to be at least 20 years old by now surely? They were also popular with despatchers so finding a decent one may be tricky.

Chains are cheaper, lighter & and a lot more efficient, shafts are  cleaner & need less maintenance.

I’d go for the FZS600, but I’m biased. Got a bit of fairing, but nowt needs removing for servicing, and you can get a brand new genuine fully painted replacement fairing for £200. You’ll certainly appreciate it at speed and at 95bhp it dunna hang about. The 2002-2003 FZS600’s had a nice huge tank with a 220 mile range (~50mpg), so ideal for a long commute. Mirrors fold in nicely and it has a good tight lock to squeeze through traffic (not quite as good as a CBF500, but ample enough).

TBH though, just go for which ever in your list you find at the best condition. At this age/price, condition and what big ticket service items have been done win. If you find something with a freshly refurb’d rear shock, stainless downpipes, new fork seals and perfect nick chain/sprockets - that’s your winner.

I’ve seen a bloke on a NTV coming into London for the last 20 years and still going strong

SV as standard do t have “full fairing” my sons is a 1999 and rubs sweet as a nut
Needed abit of fettling as he had it two years before he passed his test and just left it in his garden
Now it running its a sweet as
Mind you I have a soft spot for early SVs that’s why I brought one for him for me to play with

Up-budget and make OH contribute as it’s their move …

See I had this exact sa,e conversation with myself a few years back. And once the SRAD entered the equation, so did the 98-99 FireBlade. Cheap to run (really), mega fast, more capable than I need, comfortable, etc etc… and it’s a Honda so it doesn’t rust. Gets ridden ever pay day for past three or four years, and bulletproof. And mine cost £1400. Lots around for about that, makes it a bargain.

+1 for a Honda CBF, from 250 to 1,000 cc with plenty of 2006+ models hanging around which are early adopters of the Euro 3 standard so no worries about all those ULEZ rumours either. They’re half faired offering just enough protection from the elements without over complicating the easy as DIY servicing . Although when my 10 year old CBF plastics started to give way at the point where the brass threaded boss is sunk into the plastic fairing I found it to be a simple repair by reinforcing the area around the brass boss with Lego bricks melted down in acetone (nail varnish remover) an idea shamelessly stolen from our very own Scorch.

ZZR 600 is a great bike but a bit of a beast for city center everyday. Clutch is heavy and its not the smallest bike out there. Fazer 600 is a great bike. More nimble and very forgiving.

If like me you like to keep your bike for the long term you might want to bear in mind that the new ULEZ rules will mean any bike more than 13 years old will generate a daily charge of £12.50 if you enter the ULEZ zone, whether or not it meets Euro 3. The zone is currently due to come into force in September 2020, and cover the congestion charging zone. There are moves to bring this forward by a year and extend the zone to within the north/south circulars - public consultation ended on this last month.

I expect there to be a big rush to buy new (or newer) bikes - or pre-1973 bikes - in August 2020 (or 2019).

See I had this exact sa,e conversation with myself a few years back. And once the SRAD entered the equation, so did the 98-99 FireBlade. Cheap to run (really), mega fast, more capable than I need, comfortable, etc etc... and it's a Honda so it doesn't rust. Gets ridden ever pay day for past three or four years, and bulletproof. And mine cost £1400. Lots around for about that, makes it a bargain. benedictireland
+ 1 for the blade..... Bullet Proof.... I commuted 25 miles each way comfortably for 2 years around the M25 and then 2 years into Central London.....cracking fun at the weekends too..... and they hold their value.....

My 2001 Fazer 600 is being delivered to the office tomorrow, so that’s where my vote has to go really!

BMW F650GS single - 60+ mpg, dual carriageway capable, private sales turn up in budget, and the 2004 on ones are Euro-3 compliant so can be taken into the ULEZ. 

I’m with the person who said get a contribution from the OH as it’s your commute

I doubt very much you will get one in the budget mentioned
I just got a f800st for £2100 and it’s loaded with many BMW options
So far I’ve got 240 miles on a tank (16) the fuel light came on 20 miles from home so I’ll see how many litres it equates to tomorrow
Would I recommend it as a winter hack
God no the spares can be expensive and they are heavy bikes.
The engine feels like a bag of bolts
I wanted a sv650 post 2007 but couldn’t find a decent one at the time
As it only a temporary measure until I get the gsxr bag I’m not to fussed about the negative bits
The bike is still a decent ride
And if things work out I’ll pass it onto my son when I’ve finished with it