Which replacement bike?

I’d buy an Aprilia, and then hire some muscle to watch over it whenver you’re not riding it…

Both the other bikes are a bit too mainstream for my tastes…I don’t suppose you can hang on until the BMW S1000R WSB gets into the showrooms?

John, I probably could do if I bought a temporary bike second-hand to keep me going, but the BMW wasn’t on the cards as it doesn’t bring anything new to the table. It’s a regular inline-four engine with the normal components. It’s a bit dull really.

I’ve just got some more insurance quotes and the R1 would be £200 extra, so affordable, and the Aprilia is hard to quote for as the online quoters don’t have it yet, so the nearest I could do was put in a lower-value Ducati 1098R and that came out at £1400 TPFT. Still cheaper than the first year of my then-new K5 1000 when 0 years NCB, but I’m not in a hurry to go back there.

I’ve got a copy of the latest Bike mag in front of me and one of it’s articles is about how 2009 is going to be the best year for biking yet in terms of buyers choice and the Aprilia is right there at the top virtually. It’s a big temptation, but it’s also a big unknown. They say fortune favours the bold, but … it’s a lot of dosh to put on a punt :slight_smile:

I think the white R1 looks pretty damned good without the bloody weird cherry-red frame and swing arm. Here’s a mock-up I did quickly (before and after):

Attachments

amazing looking bikes:cool:

Jay - either way it looks like Wall-E :stuck_out_tongue:

Go for the Gixxer Seven Fiddy dude - you won’t be the same on any other Marque :wink:

Attachments

walle.jpg

It would have to be the 7 fiddy, by far the best bike I have had. Still wish I had bought another one after mine was taken. Nearly half the price of the Prilla V4 and no doubt far more useable.

The 750 is a dead-cert for awesomeness, I know that, though we’re being treated this year with MotoGP style technology. The Aprilia has a 990cc V4 engine, which is funnily enough is exactly what Casey Stoner’s winning Ducati Desmosedici was running when he won the 2007 championship. That really appeals to me, the noise, traction and feeling.

Listen to the MotoGP sound here:

https://www.youtube.com/v/n09nEnMQZTk&hl=en&fs=1

And a bit more music:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Kr_wnLd3GU4&hl=en&fs=1

https://www.youtube.com/v/5IGAUBognTk&hl=en&fs=1

That said, yeah, double the price, and it’s totally new and untested. The servicing costs and intervals scare me a little as well. Servicing on my old Honda VFR400 V4 was crazy due to the difficulty in getting access to the front cylinders.

Jay- you would test ride the Aprilia before you bought it right?:slight_smile:

The Priller does sound like the complete muts but as you say you are entering uncharted waters with a brand new design of engine for this marque. It’s nice to be the first kid on the block with the latest trainers but I do get the feeling that you’re gonna be a guinea pig Jay;)

Saying that, sometimes your heart has to rule your head. The Gixxer seems he obvious practical answer but I can’t see you happy with practical;)

Too many truths there mate :slight_smile: Yes, I’d test-ride it first, opportunity allowing, sometimes you don’t get to on bikes of this calibre.

Could always get the gixxer and then wait a year for the S1000RR to come out and a second generation RSV4 to hit the market. That might be a good compromise. I don’t want to have to wait a while to get a new bike, but saving cash for an RSV4 only to be potentially dissapointed would be a real bummer, when I could have already been having fun on a 750.

just glad that you kept the 675 out of this… no need for me to change bike then :wink:

You’re okay this time Frederic :slight_smile: It’s an awesome bike, but not on my list this time.

hi jay, i"m new to the site, that pic you created of the r1 with the black chassis and swingarm is perfect colour combination if i could get one then i would but i cant!! so i have ordered a black one today with the company i work for who are a honda and suzuki francise, it will arrive 2nd week feb but i wont have it registered until march 1st:D

I’ll be very very jealous whatever you buy, just wish I could have something similar.

Still, love my old bandit as a first bike and one day I’ll have something like the three you are pondering over…please someone tell me I will.

Good luck with the choice

John, I created the mock-up, Yamaha aren’t doing a colour-scheme like that, but it’s easy enough to get a frame powder-coated (some labour involved, admittedly), or just get some carbon-fibre protectors like I had on my GSXR 1000. That’s what I would have done if I got one.

Either way, congratulations on the purchase. Come to Borough and let me have a spin on it when it’s run-in :slight_smile:

Alta-ego , you will, don’t worry :slight_smile: It took two other bikes before I got to the incredible 750’s!

it"ll be nice to meet you jay!! can you look at my post today @12 05 on newbies!! like i pointed out i"m having a black one, the reason being i dislike the dull red frame on the white bike and i DO NOT spend any money on them apart from tyres and maybe a 4000 mile service!! i don"t hang on to them long enough to warrant any money spent on them!!:slight_smile:

I’ve never found much difficulty in throwing more money after bad on a bike :slight_smile: They’re never investments after-all. Essential mods for me are controls, suspension and exhaust! Oh, welcome aboard as well!

Get a thundercat mate :wink:

What is better a cheaper bike that allows for more money to be spent on upgrade bits, or a more expensive bike that wont necessarily need the upgrade bits? Upgrading performance components (and rim tape :wink: ) is satisfying and teaches you a lot about the bike and your riding.

he deals you are getting on the new 750 look very welcoming, but that new R1 could well be a good compromise of technological ‘bling’ and cost.

The aprilia would be a totally heart based decision, and you would definitely need a supermoto to get around town on… :slight_smile:

I’ll take your suggestion of getting a Thundercat and … ignore it. Thanks mate :slight_smile:

750, 750, 750, 750, RSV4, 750, RSV4… Argh!

How about you put a deposit down with a dealer that’s gonna get both the Aprilia and Yamaha, and offer to buy one of the two or some other bike from them after test riding.