WHAT'S GREAT ABOUT BRITAIN

I love nutters at bus stops!

I think you’ll find that you’re basing your oppinion on press releases…but I think if you ask traditional English folk if they’re proud of their country, I think you’d find a LOT of patriotism.

It’s one thing to hear all the bickering on the BBC news which seems to be run by a bunch of people that couldn’t muster up the hormones to come out the other side of puberty, and thrives off the power of causing fear and predudice on the streets, but once you get into small towns and into the countryside, the country is a whole load different. Big cities are a country of their own, and considering most of the news is based on London, it nearly never ressembles the rest of Great Britian. Still, people seem engrosed in morbide details and having the fear of God put into them. Stop watching the news, and a whole new world opens up. Seriously.

Just my oppinion though, I’m sure plenty disagree…hell, they might even smoke a pipe, and discuss it down the Queen Vic over a roast dinner. :slight_smile:

EDIT: And if you actually look at the history of Great Britain, things are, believe it or not, exactly the same as they always have been, again, imo. :slight_smile:

But wouldn’t you much rather have the coveted blue beret of the Royal Navy? :smiley:

What’s great about Britain? Our grit, ingenuity and fighting spirit. HP Sauce ranks highly too.

english men :stuck_out_tongue:

You are obviously more “in tune” with the prevailing attitudes in Great Britain than I am…but I notice it even here at the this forum…a tip toeing around what might be considered “sensitive” issues…usually around patriotism or nationalism…and I just don’t understand WHY?

I mean, I understand that Great Britain has a large immigrant community…that is a WONDERFUL thing…it is the fundamental basis of the core strength of the country where I live…our diversity…our ability to assimilate and work towards a common “identity”…as AMERICANS…irish AMERICANS…italian AMERICANS…and lately, mexican AMERICANS. Different backgrounds…but working towards a common identity…a shared set of beliefs…a CULTURE.

I really think you lose something as a country if you welcome immigrants, and then bend knee to their ever desire so as not to offend them. They are, afterall, GUESTS in your country…free to enter…to attempt to assimilate into YOUR culture…but…You ARE still Great Britain…and your immigrants are just as free to LEAVE if they don’t find the “common identity” to their liking as they were to attempt to join your community right?

So why all the hesitation to proudly say we are British…and THIS is what it means to US? THAT is what I don’t understand. shrug

well put gregman…well put…

i have the best of both worlds…i had an american education and still own a social security number as an american citizen,and i still pay ss…but i am still a british citizen aswell (i also pay NI)who fought for his country in the British Army with a tour of Northan Ireland and 48 hours in bosnia(dont ask…lol)under my belt as a british infantry soldier.

i know what its like pledging alegence to the flag,of the the United states of America each morning before class started in school,and can only wish we did the same thing here in our schools to the Union Jack.

im so disapointed in the fact that my country has hit rock bottom as we tip toe around the PC/ethnic majority train and it makes me wonder why i just didn’t join the USAF like my step father and still feel proud after all these years.insted of buddys phoning me up 15 years after NI and telling me that the’ve developed PTSD over the tour in the early 90’s…and im…we’re feeling robbed that we defended this country for what it is today.

it sucks that i even write this,and ague with most people at work about this very subject…we’re inviting in eastern europians/africans left right and center but yet…kicking out Gurkers who have earned VC’s…WTF?..this is just very wrong.

this country is screwd and there’s only one way to fix it…a civel war…a bitter pill to swallow but its the truth,and its best time people here in london start adapting to my culture rather than me having to adapt to there’s…its not what my grandfather fought for in the 2nd world war nor his dad in the first…they fought for home…our home…the one we live in right now…and its fading away so very fast…

let me tell you all something…once this country goes…its gone for good…just you take head of this…Great Britian will only be a name…and not a Culture…

im feeling quite sick now,so i’ll stop…but one thing i am proud of…its this…

and i’ll wear it on my arm again if i ever have to serve my country again.

smiled:).

Hey, watch your mouth or I’ll smack yer legs! Anyway, coincidently after I initiated this thread I noticed that Panorama was on last night, the topic? Yes, what’s great about Britain and what does it mean to be British! Sadly, for many being British is as little as holding a British passport. I myself have experience in working with many foreign and commonwealth soldiers and have been told by quite a few that they only enlisted into the Army to get a British passport and will fulfill their 4 year contract then leave (for the old sweat ex Forces out there we no longer have the Open Engagement (OPENG)). Back on track, whilst watching Panorama it struck me that not many of those asked could say beyond being born here or having a passport what it means to be a Brit! Shocking.

shando, Scot/Brit and proud

My List

Lancaster Bombers (my grandad helped build these)Royal Engineers (my other grandad built the mulberry harbours at D-Day landings)BSA bikes (my dad used to build the fuel tanks)Harrier Jump Jets (beat the yanks to creating the first successful vertical take off fighter)The NHS (we all complain, but how many countries have anything like this?)The original Miniand,

Lara Croft - thought up by a brit!

We have some really good thai and japanese restaurants over here where I live…
Lol

Lol strange :Whistling:

very good list, My grandfather was a rear gunner in a lancaster bomber.

This is whats great about Britain!

Despite being small we have the best circuits in the world!

People can, on the whole, walk about like this and be appreciated instead of abused… and these are good looking people who know how to take care of themselves!

We know how important mortality is and we remember those we have lost as a community… it binds us together…

Britain’s got talent!

Oh yes…loving the flag detail…we ARE patriotic!

The new athlete class :wink:

We are spoilt for choice on talent!

Kiss my arse if ya dont agree :slight_smile:

The natural instict/ability to form a queue.

I missed it when I went to Disneyland Paris and had to fight off all these Spanish women throwing their kids at Pluto. If they had just queued, they would all have gotten the photo they wanted without everyone else’s kids and mums in it.

Great Post :smiley:

im feeling quite sick now,so i’ll stop…but one thing i am proud of…its this…

and i’ll wear it on my arm again if i ever have to serve my country again.

smiled:).
[/quote]
Shane I had that tattood on my arm when I was serving way back in the 70/80’s and its still my fav tattoo