**WARNING** Religious discussion

I have never been interested in religion, until i quit smoking on 9/11 and started reading to get me by. I was given the “Da Vinci code” which opened my eyes to the conspiracy theorys. Since then ive read “Angels and demons” , " Rightous men " and am now halfway thru “Templar legacy”. My Mrs thinks that ive turned into some kind of religious nut…Quite the opposite if anything

After reading these ive formed my own opinion, that the bible is nothing more than exagerated misinterpreted stories that have been added and manipulated to suit.

For aslong as theres religion there WILL be wars

Be careful saying that because that has started enough wars in the past and still to the present day.

H

I just ordered the Dawkins book, will repost after I have read it.

Until i was 16 years old my parents forced me to go to church and even Sunday school which i hated, but ever since i was aloud to stop and go if i wanted i never went again.

I only now go into a church for weddings and funerals.

Its one of the things with loads of “Lead” on the Roof !!

Thoughts on religion . . .

I’d rather be on my bike thinkin’ bout religion than in church thinkin’ bout my bike . . . .

A child asked me what happens after we die. I told him we get buried under a bunch of dirt and worms eat our bodies. I guess I should have told him the truth - that most of us go to Hell and burn eternally - but I didn’t want to upset him.

There’s no Devil . . Just God when he’s drunk

I don’t think religion causes wars, it’s the choices men make that lead to them.

I suspect that the more unpleasant aspects of Islam, for instance, are due to the interpretation that men choose to apply to the koran. (There are disputes within islam itself.)

You can’t blame God for all the evils of the world, he gave us free will after all.

As for Darwin’s theory of evolution – that’s all it is: A THEORY. The progress of man’s ‘evolution’ towards homo sapien came to a grinding halt part way through the alleged process remember. So Darwin invented the ‘Missing Link’ to ‘prove’ it. FFS, that’s the sort of shyte the NuLabour spin-machine churns out.

Final thought before I get me coat: seems to me that the apalling decline in standards of behaviour in the western (Christian) world over the last 50 years is more or less mirrored by the increase over that time in the number of people who profess to reject God and the Bible. Intellectuals and dumbos alike have been theorising about the Bible for centuries – well guess what? It’s still here and still the best moral compass for civilisation and civilised behaviour.

Old thread, but related post…

I have a spare ticket to http://www.intelligencesquared.com/event_future.php?d=20070327 on Tuesday night next week.

I was meant to be going with my brother but he has pulled out, I’ll need to check the price but I think the tickets were 30 quid each and the event has now sold out.

Anyone want to make me an offer?

creationism isn’t really a problem in this country as most of the major religions all believe the same thing - intelligent design. america on the other hand is a totally different thing, some of those ****ers actually think dinosaurs fossils are a test of faith.

if people carry on ****ting on religions for believing in intelligent design, i can quite easily see a backlash happening and an increase in the number of folk believing in literal creationism. not a good thing.

Oh man I forgot about this post, I read “The God Delusion,” I must say it might be one of my favorite books. I highly suggest it to anyone who might be having difficulty trying to gain a concept of this topic.

Talking of books, I’d recommend the thought-provoking Refuting Evolution by Jonathan Sarfati (ISBN: 09-49906-24-7).

It challenges the accepted doctrine (dogma, even) of Darwin’s Theory of Evolution. Chapter 3 discusses the fossil record"
“If living things had really evolved from other kinds of creatures, then there would have been many intermediate or transitional forms, with halfway structures. However, if different kinds had been created separately, the fossil record should show creatures appearing abruptly and fully formed.”

Charles Darwin was worried that the fossil record did not show what his theory predicted:
“Why is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this is the most obvious and serious objection which can be urged against the theory.” – C.R. Darwin, Origin of Species 1872.

Glad you enjoyed the book. One of my favourite books too.

I’m looking forward to hearing Dawkins debate in the flesh.

dawkins just goes to show how dumb smart folk can be. what a **** he is

But the reason there are very few “intermediate” fossils is that due to natural selection change happens very fast and very dramatically. Case in point is the hammerhead, the unique shape of it’s head is thought to have happened within just a few generations instead of the 10,000 or so years previously thought…

But I will definitely give it a read to see his “proof.”

About seeing the debate, Dawkins came to my university a couple years ago and had a very suond argument on evolution, the only thing the creationist had was that he didn’t have to prove God exists.

Quite a claim, care to substantiate?

Fast and dramatic changes are mutations not evolution.

The theory of evolution explains how random mutations combined with natural selection lead to the changes in organisms that we can observe over both long and short timescales.

It is a theory that is accepted by the vast majority of people that have spent time studying it, because it predicts a world that is so close to what we see around us. There is a vocal minority that shout very loud, not because they have many scientific points, but because it conflicts with the religious convictions that they hold so dear and they can’t bring themselves to believe that those religious beliefs could be wrong.

While there are still gaps in our knowledge of how species evolve, that does not add any weight to the idea that a magic man in the sky did it.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source

ev·o·lu·tion /ˌɛvəˈluʃən or, especially Brit., ˌivə-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ev-uh-loo-shuhn or, especially Brit., ee-vuh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun

1. any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language; the evolution of the airplane.
  2. a product of such development; something evolved: The exploration of space is the evolution of decades of research.
  3. Biology. change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.
  4. a process of gradual, peaceful, progressive change or development, as in social or economic structure or institutions.
  5. a motion incomplete in itself, but combining with coordinated motions to produce a single action, as in a machine.
  6. a pattern formed by or as if by a series of movements: the evolutions of a figure skater.
  7. an evolving or giving off of gas, heat, etc.
  8. Mathematics. the extraction of a root from a quantity. Compare involution (def. 8).
  9. a movement or one of a series of movements of troops, ships, etc., as for disposition in order of battle or in line on parade.

I hope this clears things up.

I love the way creationist/ID’ers think that calling something just a theory is an insult too.

Gravity is just a theory too you know. :slight_smile: