Unity Ride III - 17/08/2008

Sorry you got separated, Giuliano, but thanks for posting your pics. You got me in there - the one in the brown jacket on the steps at Whitehall, in the distance!!I thought it was great, it stayed dry and lots of people turned up for it. I guess the delays were caused by the heavy traffic which is unavoidable unless they banned cars from London for the day (I wish!!).

I think the USRs did a fantastic job. I couldn’t do what they did so massive thanks to them, to the organisers, to the police, and anyone else involved in putting this together.

Unfortunately I had to leave early (at the Hyde Park section) due to getting food poisoning the night before but we totally enjoyed taking over London for a day and jumping red lights without fear of prosection, all for a good cause and in the company of hundreds, if not thousands, of fellow bikers - what’s not to enjoy? :cool: The holdups were no problem at all - we spent the time chatting to other bikers, having a laugh and admiring the bikes.And it was great to meet you, Jay, and to see you again, Choo Choo. Hope you all got home safely. :slight_smile:

Yes! Great event from what we saw. We were at the start, talking to people and spreading the LB love, handing out flyers and getting stickers on bikes. I’m surprised at how big the turn-out was, and how the weather played ball. Great effort by the Unity Ride organisers! Thanks to Tracy and Steve for everything.

We’re uploading our photos at the moment. There’s quite a few though :slight_smile: The shots of everyone leaving is quite something. I wish I could have got a better position to take them, but I’m not grumbling.

Good to see the regular LB’er faces, and even better to meet new ones, and to find out just how many lurkers we have. Next time we’ll have a real big LB presence there.

Giuliano, I’m going to include your photos in the gallery if you don’t mind?

I enjoyed it until I had to jump ship in Nine Elms.

Yes it was a slow, stop start day but with the amount of bikes, I think the organisers could not have done any better.

At least I know the cooling fan on my bike works :stuck_out_tongue:

Attachments

CIMG4914.jpg

CIMG4916.jpg

CIMG4917.jpg

CIMG4925.jpg

CIMG4927.jpg

CIMG4931.jpg

CIMG4932.jpg

CIMG4933.jpg

CIMG4941.jpg

CIMG4943.jpg

CIMG4951.jpg

CIMG4952.jpg

it was nice today
great fun to go thru the town (specially tower bridge) with no other traffic (well almost) just bikes and all the tourists making pictures

hope next time we get more info as far as where the ride is actually finishing …

pompeytim, mad s hope you got home allright:)

… yep deafn’tly heard you guys as you blatted through the underpass … lookd like you guys were hav’n more fun than us* :stuck_out_tongue:
… i’ll have to get up to bcr soon :cool:

• i did enjoy the day & got to see more of london’s streets and its many bikers … a difficult, but overall job well done by the unity organisers, marshalls, helpers & blue flashing siren boyz, but agree with zeph that they could do with re-thinking their strategy to keep things flowing:cool:

we i did try to get the cattle herd to stampeed by making flames from my akropovic:w00t:

come on the bcr soon m8

top ride today:D went totally smooth , some beauties out there…

the public loved us, spoke to a few who waited for 20 minutes to cross the road but they didn’t mind at all…and loved the cause.

Proud to have been part of it!

Tony

:hehe::hehe::D:D … we’ll do

Did see a couple of irrate taxi drivers though :smiley:

Great day out… will surely do it again next year. Well done to the organisers for an excellent job.

Sad to have missed this - was really looking forward to it but Chris (rider) was in France and the friend who was 2nd reserve fell ill (suspected man flu). Hope you all had a good day.

Had a great day, just as fun as last year, shame about the minor confusion at the end but I wouldn’t want to organise something this big, so well done to all of those involved.

Good to see you again Milo, went through Lewisham to get back to Greenwich, arrived home fine after having a quick spin around the 1 way in Greenwich, as I always do! :wink:

We’ll have to get out again sometime with the SE lot and hit some twisties around Kent/East Sussex. :smiley:

See you soon guys.

they don’t count, they are always grumpy fokkers :smiley:

Here’s our photos, sans comments for now:

I had one grumpy bus driver, until I told him to quote SO-19 to his controller. A couple of grumpy Taxis - they didn’t have fares. :wink: Several brilliant ordinary motorists who just shrugged shoulders and enjoyed it with a grin. :slight_smile: And an open-top tourist bus who couldn’t believe their luck!

One chap who was trying to ferry his wife to hospital ASAP, so I asked the taxi behind him for the dodges, they doubled back on instruction and surely got there.

Trevor Eve (yes the thespian) stayed for 25 minutes watching all the bikes at one point!

The police riders and USR’s, who hold up traffic at the lights to allow the safe passage of the ride, need to be able to travel from the tail end of the ride, to the front end of the ride.

Whilst they will be looking quite far ahead for potential problems, by keeping the ride controlled on the left side, it means they can have safe passage to do what they need to do without getting blocked in or having to take unnecessary risks, it also prevents people accidentally getting ‘scooped up’ on their way through! The marshalls ride with the main ride to keep riders to the left side so the police/US’s dont need to worry about someone wobbling out in front of them :slight_smile:

If there’s a better way i’m sure we’ll be all ears and always open to suggestions :slight_smile:

So annoyed I missed this… defo be there for next years. Hopefully getting battery sorted today… its dead so going to try honda to see what they can do considering the bike is only 2 years old… battery shouldn’t have gone yet should it?? Anyway, so glad you all had a great time, I’ll have a look at the pics later when I get a chance :slight_smile:

I had a great time Yesterday, nice to meet some old and new friends

My pics

Hi All

Looks like everyone had a good time. I had to head off early from Hyde park but got a couple of good photos and a video of the noise when we set off!

This is my fave though -

The rest are here

Oh my days!!! What torture, my bike is definately not designed for -4mph riding! LOL I was in agony and not knowing how far we were going I wondered IF I would actually make it or have to colapse and die.

BUT what a day!! It was all definately worth it, good to see some LB faces, I wonder how many bikes there were, anyone wanna guess?

Here is some footage from the day I attempted at editing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45SpixNsEoc