Train Fares to rise by up to 3.6%

biking’s not cheap enough as an alternative after recent insurance hikes and risk of loss

Doubt it. Nearly everybody I know is scared of bikes.

Doubt it. Nearly everybody I know is scared of bikes. silveR6
Was that because they have watched you riding?? :-)

Just stirring the pot here
If ticket price inflation is matching the retail price index but fuel prices and wage growth crucially aren't following suit then a logical postulate is we will see a rise in the number of bikers on the road all year round - perhaps this does affect us
slow-ride
Also doubt it quite a bit.

I have had a few people ask me about biking into work. Funny enough it’s always around summer and I have to remind them that doing it day in, day out is difficult when temperature is in the minus. Also, for those for whom the rail takes a considerable chunk of income, biking for that long needs a huge commitment. Doing over an hour each way on a bike is not for faint hearted in my mind. They will always cough up the extra dough.

Also as mian mentioned, biking isn’t really that cheap. It’s not just fuel. Count in insurance, maintenance and fuel and it’s a hefty bill. Price hikes will affect at some point your mechanic for spannering. And if you’re doing long distances you’ll need a few services a year which takes time out of an already busy week.  Only a minority will then become a mechanic as well as that requires even more commitment.

I suspect you may get a few more but the number will be inconsequential. Maybe a few more scooterists from within the M25? 

I worked out my commuting costs by bike a few years back
And as well known I’m a long distance bike commuter
Based on a second hand bike and all the running costs it’s was a few hundred pounds cheaper per year
It’s not just the bike costs you have to concider the costs of clothing boots and crash helmet
There is nothing cheap when it comes to owning and running a bike anymore

I found the key was, with a bike, when the trains stop for any one of a multitude of reasons, you’re still heading home. 

Unless it’s snowing…

But yeah I agree. Leaving when you want rather than on the dot or 45 mins later is a key benefit

My commute was until recently (I’ve just left university and now doing nothing) between 50 and 1hr 10 minutes each way. In that regard I completely get what you mean about higher service costs but it costs me 1/3 of what the train would cost as I’d also have to drive to and park at the station. For me it is so much cheaper than the train but I guess that depends what line you take. 

Then again, if we are to believe that the price rise will be followed by a better quality of train service perhaps there’ll even be a switch in the other direction - I’m thinking drivers to train. Either way I’m sure there’s a big picture here. 

I haven’t calculated the costs. But saves me at a minimum 30 mins each way. So I’m commuting for an hour a day instead of at least 2 often 3hrs.

And stops me drinking so much.

When you commute on public transport you can do other things at the same time, like play with your phone, read the paper, or watch a film.  On a bike, though, the entire journey is only spent travelling.

That is great if you like riding anyway, as everyone here does.  But for many people that will put them off of anything other than a short trip through town, even if it takes half the time overall.  An hour on a bike is an hour otherwise lost to your day.  Two hours on a train is about an entire season of Breaking Bad per week.

When you commute on public transport you can do other things at the same time, like play with your phone, read the paper, or watch a film.  On a bike, though, the entire journey is only spent travelling.
That is great if you like riding anyway, as everyone here does.  But for many people that will put them off of anything other than a short trip through town, even if it takes half the time overall.  An hour on a bike is an hour otherwise lost to your day.  Two hours on a train is about an entire season of Breaking Bad per week.
Michael
Good point, works for some and not others. I for one, hate being another drone with my head slouched towards a screen (i get to do that all day at work anyways). Riding for me is a relaxing and mind stimulating exercise in one (a paradox perhaps?)

when I used the train, I found any moment I had spare was spent asleep

Not on my packed train lol If you get caught in the doors area you are cheek to check. Best you can hope for sometimes is you’ve already got your headphones in and have pressed play. You just have to appreciate the backing singers each stop, “Can you move down please.” “There’s no fucking room!”

Ahhh bliss…

Attachments

Bump

Get off the fence…

We made our peace. Let’s leave it there.

I rode to work for 10 years. Then I got a new job. By train my journey is 20 minutes (on the actual train) and I always get a seat. Because of this I don’t ride to work anymore. I don’t miss getting wet, or riding in less than ideal conditions, dealing with idiots in charge of various vehicles, pretty much know I’m not going to be involved in an accident on a day-to-day basis and don’t have to worry about my bike being damaged, stolen or having acid thrown in my face. 100% of the motorcylcing I do now is pure fun. This includes trackdays, euro trips, motocross, green lanes and weekend road rides. All the while my journey is this easy on the train I won’t get back on the bike, even if the fares do go up. I actually rode to work the other week as had to get in early. Pretty much took the same time door to door. All it did was remind me how much commuting to work is the shite end of motorcycling!

Thought I’d post up my point of view in interest of the discussion you guys are having :slight_smile:

I rode to work for 10 years. Then I got a new job. By train my journey is 20 minutes (on the actual train) and I always get a seat. Because of this I don't ride to work anymore. I don't miss getting wet, or riding in less than ideal conditions, dealing with idiots in charge of various vehicles, pretty much know I'm not going to be involved in an accident on a day-to-day basis and don't have to worry about my bike being damaged, stolen or having acid thrown in my face. 100% of the motorcylcing I do now is pure fun. This includes trackdays, euro trips, motocross, green lanes and weekend road rides. All the while my journey is this easy on the train I won't get back on the bike, even if the fares do go up. I actually rode to work the other week as had to get in early. Pretty much took the same time door to door. All it did was remind me how much commuting to work is the shite end of motorcycling!
Thought I'd post up my point of view in interest of the discussion you guys are having :)
ad
I love my commute to and from work on the bike. They are the best bits of the working day.

That’s fair enough then fella, everyone’s experiences differ. I used to have the odd ride that put a smile on my face but it usually involved doing twice the posted limit so probably not that sensible in the greater scheme of things