Tour of Scandinavia and the Baltic States

Day -2:
Today I thought it high time I made sure that everything I wanted to take was going to fit on the bike.

Here’s the way I’m going to be keeping the phone and bluetooth helmet juiced up. This would also be powering the GPS, but the USB connector is dead on it:

This is where I’m going to keep my AV equipment to hand (including the DSLR I’m using to take these pictures), as well how to charge the DSLR. If I’m not charging the helmet, the same cable can be used to charge the GoPro:

In the right pannier I’ve got my Fat Frog tent, Exped sleeping mattress and pillow:

In the left pannier I’ve got some flipflops, an MSR stove, a 21" inner tube, an electric pump, two tyre levers (third is in my tank bag as it doubles as a spanner to adjust the chain), a sleeping bag, a camera bag for the DSLR and a GoPro mount:

Bolted to the right pannier is chain lube and a litre of 10W60:

Bolted to the left pannier I’ve a litre MSR fuel bottle, and 750ml of breakdown assistance :evil The MSR bottle is on the outside so I can fill it up easier when at the petrol station:

On the back I’ve a fold out chair, and a regular backpack with

[]4x undergarments
[
]4x pairs of riding socks
[]2x regular socks
[
]3x long-sleeve shirts
[]2x riding undershirts
[
]1x pair shorts
[]1x towel
[
]1x pair jeans
[]1x trainers
[
]1x sunglasses
[]1x dental stuff
[
]1x laptop and charger

This set-up works for me as I can get in and out of the panniers without moving the backpack, and when I’m checking into accommodation it’s as simple as grabbing the backpack and walking away from the bike as I don’t need anything from the panniers. I’ll cover my riding gear in a subsequent post.

Day 1:
Well what a day… Made it to the Ace Cafe and were met by bikergirl400, bricking_it and Zander to see us off.

Then we headed to Harwich for our ferry - what could go wrong?

Err… so. Hmmn. Turns out that ferry’s not an option for the next week or so. No option but to:

We’ll have to drive to Denmark now. :cry

Overnight in France. This was not le plan!

700 miles to do tomorrow to get back on schedule. Or should I say today, in about 3 hours’ time.

Day 2: Making up for the sinking ferry

Here’s today’s track log, covering 5 countries and 1235km - France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark:

We were on the road for 8am this morning, all checked out and ready to claw back our schedule. Around 800 miles to cover.

Four petrol stations:

The KTM getting 52mpg!!

Lots of road…:

Good progress made, to Hirtshals to wait for the 10am ferry.

We’re staying in a hostel, overlooking the coast.

very nice post man =] cant wait for the next update.

so lucky

The benchmark for postings now, top job :slight_smile:

Wow can’t wait till the next one instalment.

Great posts as expected. :slight_smile: have a safe one.

impressive getting back on track!

have fun, keep posting !

1235 in one day?!? you MUST be joking? your backsides will be out of order!

No half measures with Martin

Ride safe

Day 3: Norway!

Here’s how far we got today :shog

We got the 10am ferry from Hirtshals - clearly a popular option for bikers

Using the two hour crossing to our advantage:

Norway! Onwards.

So far everything was going great. Then a quick stop for this photo:

Just after that photo, the skies opened and we got drenched:

Taking shelter in a bus stop (!) we checked of the forecast, revealing that the rest of the day would be wet and overcast.

The start of our trip was meant to be very scenic. Part of the plan was to ride to Lysebotn via the high pass and take on the hairpins, but with poor conditions for both riders and cameras, we’re taking an early tactical break to enjoy this tomorrow:

Plan B - wait out the weather. Tomorrow looks clear. Here’s our hostel ‘room’ for tonight:

And in the meantime…

awesome :slight_smile:

Looks great guys!

Day 4

Trip log:

We were waiting out the weather yesterday, was it the right decision? Yes!

Heading to Lysebotn:

Once we got there the weather closed in…

But that doesn’t stop us!

And another hostel for the night:

Simply superb!

Why’s one bike on its side? Resting?

Thanks very much for sharing your adventures Martin and Stace - absolutely brilliant and very inspiring (can we go next year Kevsta!)

The photos are amazing, really, really want to go. Thanks again for taking the time to share your adventure.

Keep sharing, like Ally said really would like to go. Working on getting my long distance riding skills!

Szymon, I think you’ll find that was just another biker they found.

Day 5.

Here’s our trip log. A great day, no rain - lots of twisties, snow, and gravel.

Every road trip in Norway seems to involve a ferry

Found a little guy in my radiator - not dead, simply pining for the fjords.

VERY nice

No polar bears yet ? :slight_smile: