I’d love to have seen Stace’s prepping video

I see you topped up the booze :smiley:

Day 6:

Here’s our track log:

We started off with a nice climb at Geiranger:

Then we took on the Trollstiegen:

We rode the Altantic highway:

Rode some more past Trondheim:

Finished off the day with some wild camping.

You picked a good time to go to Trondheim - I spent a couple of weeks working there in the winter at one point, and man it was depressing. Covered in snow, freezing cold all the time, and there was no daytime, only about an hour around noon when it was slightly less grey outside!

Trollstigen:

Day 7:

Here’s the trip log:

The plan today was to get to get out of the Trongheim area and head up towards the North, via route 17. Today was the definition of ‘sunshine and showers’…

Checked into a hostel in Sandvik to escape the weather and dry out our tents from two days of rain.

Finally got a chance to catch up with your trip.

Amazing.

Can’t wait to see you meet Santa :smiley:

Look lads, its a nice looking rideout

but if you dont post up some polar bears sightings soon im outta here :angry:

7 Day Summary.

Stats:
2451 miles covered:

Track log:

Lessons learnt:

• It definitey costs more to ride two bikes to Esjberg than to take the ferry, if otherwise in a pair sharing a cabin.
  • Hostels in Norway don’t appear to offer shared dorm accommodation, but rather private rooms. Traveling solo here could be expensive.
  • Norway is heavily farmed and well populated (so far). This makes finding wild camps less easy than we expected. Nearly all small roads lead to a home, not to access a field.
  • Ferrys aren’t cheap and appear to get more expensive the further north you go. NOK 46-75 one way for a motorbike. Expect 2 or 3 per day on coastal routes.
  • One could easily have a month’s good riding in the South alone. Don’t just head to Nordkaap!
  • It’s late June now. We’ve had daylight at night since being in Norway, and it has made us run quite late into the evening before stopping. This has meant less sleep overall due to early starts.
  • No problem finding fuel. A little more than in the UK.
  • Progress is not as expediant as expected. A combination of the twisty roads, road works, waiting for ferries, and passing through cities has taken the edge off us. Expect ~500km in a full day if taking the twisties / coast / ferries.
  • If there’s an alternative road to a tunnel, take the alternative (but be prepared to understand why the tunnel is there!).
  • Gravel. No big deal, expect it in roadworks, and just blat across it. I’m on conti trail attacks.
  • Wet. I don’t have any all-day wet riding gear. Apparently being here in the summer is no guarantee of good weather and you do need all-day wet kit.
  • Road quality so far is great. Tarmac has grip in the wet, and corners are well sign posted. Repairs are good quality too.
  • Pack a lunch if you can because road-side food is not abundant. No major fast food chains (not bad thing), not many cafes, though limited hotdog/burger options in petrol stations.
  • Not much traffic on the roads. Caravans, coaches and agricultural vehicles mostly.
  • Midgies and mossies. Have something to cover your head whilst you camp, and a tent that stops them getting in.
  • Whilst travelling through the fjords I have not seen one Norwegian Blue.

“Making progress”…

Hahahhahaahahhaha. Poles sighting indeed! :smiley:

:Wow:

:smiley:

Day 8

Track log:

Today we got off the 17 and joined the E6, in order to pass through the Arctic Circle on the road - the 17 crosses on a ferry.

We then continued to Bodo

We took a four hour ferry over to the Lofoten islands

And arrived in Moskenes

And stayed in a hostel for the night

Amazing pics, absolutely fantastic scenery and weather for you all. So need to go back… Enjoy guys n girl.

Martin I think you should spend your entire time on holiday so you can feed us these great photos, vids and writeups full-time. You might want to get yourself an agent as I’m sure there are plenty of biking mags that would be interested in paying you to do this.

Puzzled by the German aircraft wreckage you photographed. Was it genuine? Engine housings look a bit on the small side which leads me to suspect it’s an artist’s impression. Great photo anyway, as are all the others.

Thanks for posting these :rolleyes:

Amazing, you are still inspiring me.
Pin is slowly coming round to my way of thinking! (Not a C90!)

Day 9.

Trip log:

We wanted to take our time to explore Lofoten. We started by seeing some of the beaches. An overcast day, as you can see.

We took a ferry to get to Andoy, to the northern town of Andenes. This is where the scenery changed from picturesque to rugged, and for the first time I felt the sensation of passing through a remote landscape.

Some gravel roads but the fun looking ones were blocked.

We’re stuck in town tonight as the last ferry was at 5pm. Early start tomorrow, hence the less-than-excellent hostel.

Cant believe you didnt overtake that campervan on Trollsteps, must have shot yer schedule to ribbons.:slight_smile: