Time for a v-twin?

I’ve had my first Vtwin, a 97 Firestorm, for a few months and I’m loving it.The commute to the city is a doddle and when I get chance to open it up, she goes!

You could pick up an absolute stormer (no pun intended;)) for a lot less than the £5,000 you have and there are plenty around. Leaving you a few spare quid for any extras you may want to buy. Mine has only done 12k miles and cost me less than £2,000.

It won’t keep up with newer 4 cylinder machines at top speed, but that certainly doesn’t bother me. When do you use top speed?

Whatever twin you buy, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Have fun trying them all out.:slight_smile:

Get all of them then!:w00t:

I’ve found a lovely 06 SV1000 in black for £3600 only has 5k miles may be able to get the price down a little:hehe:. needs a service and rear tire. sounds like a sure bet just need to sell on the 07 CBR.

The Storm is a usefull allrounder for sure, only down side is the fuel consumption… ouch!!
having said that my triple aint much better in town:)

You’re not wrong Zed. I’m only getting 35mpg in town!

Hope the SV’s a good 'un Henry. Good luck with getting the price down.

So i’m testing the SV tomorrow. I’ve only ridden cbr600’s before is there anything i should watch out for with the 1000? or the difference with the vtwin.

Apart from the extra torque at lower revs, watch out for increased engine braking, I had to be a lot more gentle rolling off the throttle on my brother’s SP-1.

yes…engine braking, go easy when shifting down, if you go down to quickly you will find teh back wheel locks up very easily:w00t:

watch out for the front coming up under acceleration too you will have loads of torque on tap so this would easily lift the front wheel!

other than that have fun!

THUMP! THUMP!:smiley:

Can you still feel your fingers Henry ? :slight_smile:

I’ll let you know later on i’m just about to leave the house. I’m very excited!:smiley:

Im riding an SV650S an in my opinion its quick enough easily in and around london i keep up with most bikes for example kept up with a Ninja ZXR the other day all the way to the Motorway and then SEE YA HE WAS OFFFF!! lol so if your a motorway rider your CBR RR will make your SV eat dust…

As a devout Veetwinista my opinion is obviously biased but I would say that if you want to commute on it forget stuff like TL’s and Mille’s. My vote would go for a Tuono or a Firestorm:cool:

An advantage of the 'Storm is loads are broken on ebay and spares are relatively cheap and easy to find:)

Thought that was all twins in general. Two cylinders missing :unsure::DJust joking me old twinophile…I’ll likely join your gang when I finally buy that RSV 1000.

At last the boy’s seen sense;) Who needs back brakes anyway?;):smiley:

right so as you know i rode the SV1000S today. Firstly the bad points that i noticed. The brakes are like a big sponge in my hand i’m guessing a set of braded hoses will fix it a bit if not a set of brembos should do nicely:D. Also the suspension is uber soft so if i make the front end a tad harder it should do very well for my purposes. As for the good points it pulls and pulls and then pulls some more. At one point getting onto the M25 i would normally have been doing just a hair over the speed limit on the sv well it was faster by a lot. The sound even from the stock exhaust is pretty awsome but i’m still going to get new ones for even more noise and a bit less wait. stock ones weigh 27lbs and akra are something like 10lbs! so that should shave off a nice bit of the extra weight. just need to hurry up and sell my RR!:slight_smile:

sounds like you are hooked matey.

haha the engine braking more than makes up for that:w00t:

told ya! engine braking…:smiley:

my next biek will be most likely a thou, and most definetly a V-twin…oh yesh.

good choice henry!:slight_smile:

chunks can i join your gang when i get me thou!:wink:

Henry mate

Get a Superduke and you won’t have to bother upgrading the forks and brakes. Much nicer looking bikes and more “special” IMO (sorry SV owners!). Just ask Ducati Pete!

It’s up to you to choose what you’re gonna be happy riding so ignore my advice (and anyone elses) by all means, but maybe test ride a Superduke before making a final decision.

Good luck whatever you choose bud. :cool:

Glad you enjoyed the test Henry. Sounds like you’ll be joining us in the twin club soon :slight_smile: