the zx7r track bike

well I have all the bits its just a matter of taking off all the things I dont want…

so far the alternator

the dials…looking for a low weight alternative rev counter…the switches the ignition key the dial carrier, the tank and part of the rear subframe…

still to go are the starter, more wiring and relocating the battery box as the pertol tank will be under the seat and anything else i find lurking…

I have to make up a blank to go where the alternator as to stop oil pouring out…may need an old alternator and modify parts of it to block up the hole…wish I could get some cheap lightweight wheels to fit…they ahve soke in the petronas sale but they are too expensive…more than the whole bike…not worth the effort…perhaps I will remove the paint that will make them a bit lighter and have them polished that will remove some material…but then maybe I wont…

any one got any other ideas, and no I am not removing the fly wheel engine is staying together for now If I can get another engine then we might give it a try…but to be honest by then I will want a bette track bike full stop…this is a lot of fun at the moment though…

2 strokes I sometimes think that you must live in a special time zone where they have about 30 hrs/day, you seem to be able to deal with so many projects. I struggle just to complete a row of stitches on my hessian knitting pattern, let alone even think about my flower pressing side project. :w00t:

Thought the ZX10 was the track bike?

after reading all the reports about the 10 in the papers you would think so too, but I honestly think it is the best bike I have ever ridden anywhere…on the road it is simply glorious…i am now thinking of turning the R1 into my track bike but will play with the 7 a bit longer…its a nice bike, reliable…we will see…depends upon how the 7 feels with all the mods…

Twoie should have Elmer Thudd as his avatar :smiley:

Attachments

Elmer-Thudd.jpg

nah I dont wear a hat, but with a name like yogi we know who you aspire to be…:smiley:

Why are you planning on running a total loss ignition on your 7 2T?

Surely its more of a pain on a trackday bike than what you gain:cool:

You running a starter motor still?

yes going total loss, the bike is so damn heavy and I am used to the relative lightweight R1 and 10 now…just feels top heavy, guess its all pschological really but losing 20 or 30 kg’s has to make it a bit more nimble…

Havent fully decided on the starter yet but after talking to the boys at Silverstone think it might be the way to go as well…the batteries will be a pain but I am rigging this up so that the battery will be easy to replace after each run, swap it each time and keep them permanently on charge using a high flow charger when in the garage…

If I remove the starter will build a quick start system to crank her over on when on the stands…

Its all a bit of a waste really, should just buy a better bike really but its a challenge now to make it lighter and more nimble…and fit better tyres this weekend…

I thought you had in the R1 and the 10 mate;)

How much weight will it actually save?

By removing the paint from the wheels as he mentions he should save…oooh…maybe 5 grams :wink:

Have you done a search for “lighter” on this site? http://www.redmonkey.com/7r/index.php?destin=.%2Fstart.php

They seem to recommend (as you are) total loss system, also wheels & exhaust - plus DIET! How’s yours going?:stuck_out_tongue:

I looked at a couple of track bikes that had total loss systems but I thought what a pita it would be to have to have a charger all the time compared to (for me) no benefit at all.One didn’t even have a fan on the radiator, might work fine for a race bike but I think I’d find it all just a pain.

would have to agree, you’d be better off buying the spares for the r1 than more gear for the 7.

saving under 10% of unsprung weight on the 7 isn’t going to make that much difference.

well its actually over 10% saving but its a bit of fun too…but the moment it gets a chore likely I will go for something else…

Then someone can buy a cheap 7 with 120bhp at the rear wheel and less than 200kgs all in…

But for now wheres me spanners and hack saw…

I’m no trackday expert but I can speak of personal experience of spannering a race bike with a total loss and no starter motor.

Firstly for trackdays it’s going to be a pain in the rear keeping batteries tip top.

Secondly, It’s a pain keep asking people for a bump as even with a starter rig its a two man job.

Thirdly , if you are unlucky enough to end in the sandpit and have stalled, with a starter motor you have at least got half a chance of getting back on track.:cool:

The easiest thing to do would just be to get some rim tape and a bucket load of titanium engine bolts;):smiley:

wheres your sense of adventure man…they never let you go back on track once you have an off until its back in the pits, cleaned up and your found to be okay…

bump starts will keep me fit and this thing starts very easily…but as i say still not yet decided on the starter totally…

think he means more getting it from the gravel back to the pits first to check it out. if you’ve mullered it then you’re waiting for the man with the van…

Got to stand back with a bit of admiration there 2strokes, tuning up a ZX7R will reap more rewards than the standard stuff, and going the whole hog might end up with a bit of a pita bike, but probably going to be worth I reckon…

Although I might not help you with the bump starts though…:slight_smile:

Twoies on a 7R - thats one hell of a combined weight :Whistling: :stuck_out_tongue:

The bit about starter motors reminds me of a great bit of kit I saw at a new era meet once for starting big singles.

It was so simple.

Just a pair of rollers that a bloke had under the back wheel of a Transit.

Put the bike on the rollers too and whack the trannie into gear and let the diff do the rest.

Such a simple idea:cool: