The Viffer conundrum

What about a Sprint ST 1050, or the older 955i model depending on your budget ?? :slight_smile:

I considered the Viffer too when I was looking a couple of months back but I had the same problem, they just look so… meh! The Trumpet looks great and many reviews seem to rate it over the VFR.
Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion.

For me beemers and trumpets (and Ducatis/Aprilias for that matter) are kind of an unknown quantity as they exist outside my Jap bike familiarity comfort zone.

It would be a bit of a leap of faith for me to try one - but obviously from what I’ve heard people rate them.

Did you buy it in the end? If so, do you mind telling me what the specs & price were? I will sell my VFR800 (2000 Model) when I get back to Europe and keen to see what is an acceptable price.

I used my VFR800 for commuting and replaced it with a GSXR-1000 K4. Tell you what, the VFR feels a fair bit quicker to respond than the gsxr does. That doesn’t surprise me I guess… when I did a roll on test in top gear on a VFR vs a friend on a K5 GSXR750, the VFR left him in the dust. Their roll on power really is impressive.

Haven’t bought anything yet - but I’m still interested in them - got to make a descision next week

Thanks for the info on the VFR v GSXR - interesting - I guess it makes most of it’s of power right were you need it rather than in the upper reaches like a sportsbike.

At dealers the VFR800i is mostly going around the 2.5k mark - assuming good condition and mileage around 20/25k - although 30k plus mileage bikes are going for this price too if they are in excellent condition with service histories etc.

There are sites like http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motorcycles/bike-prices/ where you can get an idea of book price.

For a 99/00, I wouldn’t pay much more than £1600 unless they have really good extras that you want (hard luggage etc). Best buy private. I expect to sell mine for about £1500 or £1600.

+1 for heart over head! Get the GSXR :slight_smile:

I would get the Gixxer - but do some Jetstream runs on it so you won’t be upright (or take it out on the lovely single track Boxhill lanes from time to time):). However, if you commute on it make sure it is in a secure parking place - as it may be a target

I would get a GSXR - but there is a real lack of available bikes at dealers to be honest.

What I want is a decent K2 - but annoyingly most of the bikes are either older SRADS (too dated) or the newer (out of my price range) K4s with nothing in between.

There are bikes available - but they all seem to be either in Yorkshire or Scotland.

Also the farther north you go the more bargains you get - whereas in London/South East even the old SRADS look over priced (I want to go to a dealer - I don’t want the hassle of having to offload the ZX7R privately).

I’m starting to really like the VFR - the engine is a real jewel and it oozes quality - kind of bike that if you look after it will do starship miles - if I get the viffer it will be my workhorse and I can chop my Yamaha in at a later date for the GSXR.