The Viffer conundrum

I’ve had the VFR connundrum before, it is still ongoing in the background all the time if I’m honest…

I test rode a 2011 VTEC and to be honest I found it extremely comfortable and capable as a bike - Felt like it could happily munch miles and miles and miles all day long…

…BUT - it was just a bit too boring for my liking. Doesn’t have the sheer balls-out sports bike feel.

However, I haven’t tried the earlier non-VTEC model, but I would certainly like to.

That’s enough talking about myself though! (apologies)

NJ - I think the VFR would be a sensible choice for the commuting run. But the gixxer 750 would be much more fun, even if you do ride it upright most of the time.

Are you in a position to run 2 bikes? Maybe get the VFR for commuting (don’t worry about keeping it clean, treat it as a workhorse, it will be reliable and cheap and will keep you comfy on your journey in and out of town, you’ll be grateful of that when it’s cold and wet and you want to get home!) and then get a 750 for fun?

If you even need to ask - then old age has already grabbed you by the bollocks - or at least made them saggy.

:smiley:

BL

Thanks for your impressions of the bike Conrad - yeah - I think the vfr is a great bike - and boring can be good at 6 am on a Monday morning when you don’t want to think about riding the bike - you just want to get to work with minimum engagement.

Yep - it’s a fait accompli :smiley:

Reading Conrad’s post has inspired me to write a review for my A6 Vtec 800.

Firstly, its the bike I’ve always wanted. I’ve loved the look of the thing, even before I started riding. I was lucky, getting a good deal on a very clean 2006 model with only 5600 miles on it.

Yes, it does everything well. Its comfortable, corners beautifully, the engine noise is like a symphony of pleasure, its easy on the gas if manage your engine power, the breaks are unbelievable good, mines the ABS model and is awsomely stable. It filters easily being extremely well balanced even for its size and weight. Low speed handling was a pleasant surprise, very easy, no suprises.

The engine is very good. You do have to learn to manage the power bracket with the VTEC feature. Its on board to manage fuel consumption, which it does very well. But, if you instantly want power, you have to make sure your near or in the rev area where the extra valves kick in. Otherwise there is a delay in power transfer to the final drive as the engine picks up. Once you get used to it, its fine and actually puts a smile on your face, feeling like an unofficial turbo charger.

But I’ll say to anyone, what sets this bike apart from many others, is its character. For which it has bucket loads. It is more than the sum of its parts and an absolute pleasure to ride.

Bang2Rights - don’t get me wrong mate - I have a completely different opinion on the V-TEC VFR - the styling is very cool and up-to date - the bike doesn’t look boring or like an old man’s bike - I think it holds it’s own with race reps in terms of looks.

I’m talking about the old late 90’s early 2000’s pre-V-TEC vfrs which are looking a bit bland and dated.

Apart from a slight concern about v-tec servicing costs I wouldn’t hesitate buying one - but the V-TEC VFR is just a bit outside my budget at the moment.

Thanks for the info - interesting reading as I would like to try a V-TEC one day. :slight_smile:

To be clear, if my budget allowed, I’d have the VTEC every time. I used to work at Wandsworth Honda, about 10 years ago, and I loved the VTEC. However, given the money, it would probably be the 600RR. It inspired so much confidence to do quite stupid things. I won’t tell you what speed I had it at box-fresh around the Wansworth gyratory, on the corners, brand new tyres and all. I look back and think that I was an idiot, but the bike made me do it. :smiley:

No sure, I meant to edit my post in reference to the model year, realising you were looking pre VTEC. I just thought it would be useful to include the development of the VTEC model as some people have found it awkward. There are some decent bargains around, its worth a look around, you may be pleasantly surprised.

[quote]
NinjaJunkie (30/05/2013)

Yes - the V-TEC is a very tidy bike - I’ve seen some which are approaching my price range - but the mileage tends to be a bit tallish.

Yeah - the character of the bike definitely influences riding style - my old Hornet used to have a similar hooligan effect :smiley:

One of my very best friends has a VFR , funnily enough he does smoke a pipe ,has 2 cocker spaniels and after wearing his slippers to the pup on more than one occasion bought some leather ones so atleast it did not look like he had . However he has clocked over 80,000 miles on his 1994 VFR riding to france and back from scotland , I obviously had ridden it a few times making sure it was Ahem okay after a service or some work being done . Does everything a bike should do , drop the bars a bit raise the back up a touch and it would focus it nicley to more sports than touring . But then you would just be better with a 1998 fireblade , just as comfy ,just as reliable , but more wallop .

Hmmmmm - yeah - an old Blade maybe. Although I would love a 954 (apparently they are a right c*nt to change plugs on just like the 929.

So what’s the really good price then?

I wondered that too, but no, they dont, the bars are wider than the engine and the mirrors always go above car mirrors but below tansit van type ones. The cylinder heads are not much wider than your feet, and keep them warm in winter. Its got loads of character and crashes well :smiley: Seems indestructible and cleans up well (if you can be bothered ). As its a shaftey , there is no mucking about with chains etc, just make sure there’s some oil in it (you can use mineral stuff from Lidl, Wilco etc ). Not too bad on petrol at 45 + mpg and tops out at about 140 mph with big panniers on. Your average LBer will take the pi55 but as a workhorse, its good. I even couriered on it - a waste of time I might add but thats not the bike’s fault.

Did someone say #YOLO?

You said it mate…get the Gixxer. Even if you are not going to use it the way it should be. You will still be smiling every time you are on it… until you get fedup with not using it the way it should be used. At that point you can trade it in for something a bit more sensible/comfortable like the older type VFR in question.

Buying my gixxer made no sense at all…i never took it on track, hardly thrashed it around the country lanes used it mostly to commute in 30MPH zones…BUT…it made me happy and i’m missing it dearly.

borrowed a Vtech for a few weeks…the “powerband” things is fun for a short while then it gets on ya tits, I found it “hunting” between the 2 modes at around 60 so you had to be well above that or long way under guess I’m just used to the “twist n go” mode of the Blackbird, if I had to have a Viffer I would go for a pre Vtech model

Sounds good mate - I rack up a lot of miles so reliability, indestructability and shaft drive are things I would welcome - used ones seem to be more expensive than equivalent used Japanese bikes - I guess beemers must be quite sought after if they hold their value so well.

Yep - you try and make an effort to be sensible but when it comes to the crunch emotion tends to win :slight_smile:

Yeah - I’ve heard about this - although owners say that after a while they learn to ride around the vtec ‘glitch’.