The daily chit chat

Was hot AF today. Did 200 miles on the GS. The evening ride home was hoooooooooooot. Some of the ride involved a filter down the M25, so at least I could have the helmet flipped up (don’t have it up at higher speeds).

Really need to sort a way to keep cold water bottles to hand whilst riding :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah was about 200 miles for me as well. Bloody hot, forecast 26, bike reckoned 29 while I was stuck in traffic by Stanstead about 4pm

Was chuffing lovely weather yesterday, did about 300 miles on the CBR to go to Swanage for an impromptu couple of days. Might pop over to Poole bike night tomorrow too

2 Likes

It’s this time of year I promise myself to buy a mesh suit in the winter sales - and always forget to look.

4 Likes

I bought a Rev’it Eclipse 2 jacket a few weeks ago, it’s been a god send tbh

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. That looks like a lot of jacket for £129 :+1:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/articles/reviews/rev-it-eclipse-2-summer-textile-jacket

Would love a heavily ventilated jacket (used to rock a Rev’It back in the day) but nowadays I wear/require an airbag nowadays. My Dainese textile jacket has one built in, but it is a bit hot.
Hard to find one that doesn’t make you hotter though as they all add insulation somehow.

Just be aware it doesn’t have a back protector in it, luckily one from one of my other jacket fits

1 Like

FFS, under a thousand miles on it too :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Starting to believe those who say the Michelin Pilot series attract them…

No problem, repair with a sticky worm, job done.

I punctured a newish Bridgestone BT-023 1,800 miles after fitting, repaired it on the hoof with a sticky worm and I got another 9,000 miles on it! As you’d expect it was a little squared off by then but still legal and still sticking to the tarmac in the wet and the dry.

Oh yes, the numbers are correct, in total I got 11,000 miles out of that Bridgestone BT-023, a proper 4 season, all weather touring tyre at half the cost of the reassuringly expensive brands.

1 Like

Yeah, just annoying as I spotted it before setting off on a 50 mile motorway journey so car it was instead

It’s a 15 minute fix for a Boy Scout (Be Prepared) but well done in not neglecting your pre-ride checks :+1:

I can top that, I had one of those written off at less than 1500 on it a it picked up 4 separate punchers and the last one was to close to another to be repaired!

Managed to get it plugged, cost me £60 for the privilege…

You really need to learn how to do that for yourself, you never know when you’ll need to on the hoof. Get yourself a sticky worm kit and next time you’re due a change of tyre puncture it and have a practice, then practice some more.

3 Likes

I know someone put new race Pirellis on to go to a track day in France. On the way his badly strapped-on tail pack managed to slide into the wheel locking it up at 90 mph.

He thought he’d had an engine or gearbox seizure and was franticly trying to de-clutch but nevertheless managed to bring the bike to a more or less controlled stop.

The tyre was a write-off. Only a few miles old.

The Gendarmerie turned up and measured the black mark he’d left on the road. Then they calculated the speed and waved a finger at him. Jeff says they were spot on as he had happened to glance at the speedo seconds before.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maybe he wanted the reassurance of an inside plug rather than a sticky worm. Me personally I agree with you that sticky worms are fine. I’ve ridden for a long time at speed with four on the go and no probs :+1:

Sticky worms are marketed as an emergency get you home puncture repair, if they’re applied correctly I think they’re better than that. My first experience of sticky worms was in a car tyre that went on to cover 30,000 miles.

After a ride to see some family yesterday, we spent a couple of hours washing the GS’. Hadn’t done it for ages. Dirt collects really well on this bike as there’s so many nooks and crannies, everything’s open to the elements and the engine has loads of fins you can’t get your fingers into. I need to buy some tooth brushes to use for this. Finished off with silicon spray to make it shine and protect from the elements.

Should be good to go for our road trip around the Spanish Pico mountain range in a couple of weeks.

2 Likes