Suzuki GSXR servicing

Hi all,

This may end up being a long winded message so bear with me.

My GSXR 600 k6 has 100 miles shy of 4,000 on the clock and is now 2 and 3/4 years old.

First question is does the bike only need a 4,000 mile service or does it need a 7,500 mile service, as suggested by a guy at george whites, as the bike is nearly 3 years old?

Second question relates to how much I can expect to pay for either service interval at a decent mechanic. I have been quoted 169 and 290 for each service, respectively, by steve jordan. George whites quoted 165 and 265, respectively, but do not open on saturdays which poses a problem (I work Mon to Fri).

Do these prices sound reasonable?

Third question is are there any decent/cheaper places in and around the west london area that anyone would recommend?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Try Les at LJ Motorcycles in Twickenham:

http://www.yell.com/listings/DoFindListings/900654374/L-J-Motorcycle-Repairs/Motorcycle-Repairs-and-Services

I usually pay around £160 for a service on my K4 600 but I try and do it myself now as its quite easy once you’ve got the fairings off. What they’ve quoted sounds quite expensive to me though, most I’ve ever paid is £260 and that included having the valve clearances checked & adjusted. To answer your specific question though you’ll probably get a more bike specific answer on the gixerjunkies site but I know a few of them are on here too :slight_smile:

Might be worth it - the 7.5k service probably includes a full fluids change - coolant and brake fluid - if the bike has sat around abit it could be worth getting this stuff done.

Cheers for the advice guys.Will give LJ Motorcycles a call tomorrow to get a quote. I’m assuming since you’ve suggested them that their service dept is trustworthy.

I’ll try gixerjunkies in a bit. Mark, who serviced your k4 before you did it yourself? £160 sounds like a very good deal.

Sid, cheers for the advice. I don’t think the bike has been sitting around. I bought the bike from suzukisi from LB and he told me that he took the bike on weekly runs to make sure it ran well. But, it probably makes sense do get the 7.5k service done. Just not sure it should cost £290. It’s a shame steve jordan have quoted this amount as they seem to be highly rated on this board.

Thinking about it, I would travel a bit further out to get the service done by a good mechanic at a decent price (good excuse to go out for a run).

Thanks again.

When I pay for a service I’ve always taken my bike to D&H in Dartford 01322 293145 - their used by a few people on here. Henry who is the H of D&H is ex-Honda, he worked for them for 35 years so knows his way around a bike. Nice & friendly if you want some advice :slight_smile:

Cheers mate, will give them a buzz tomorrow.

mo2k (11/03/2009) Hi all,

This may end up being a long winded message so bear with me.

My GSXR 600 k6 has 100 miles shy of 4,000 on the clock and is now 2 and 3/4 years old.

First question is does the bike only need a 4,000 mile service or does it need a 7,500 mile service, as suggested by a guy at george whites, as the bike is nearly 3 years old?

Second question relates to how much I can expect to pay for either service interval at a decent mechanic. I have been quoted 169 and 290 for each service, respectively, by steve jordan. George whites quoted 165 and 265, respectively, but do not open on saturdays which poses a problem (I work Mon to Fri).

Do these prices sound reasonable? Considering you ride 125 miles a month or a little over 4 miles a day is it worth having a bike at all? You could walk that far and improve your fitness levels save on tax and insurance and sell your bike to someone who might appreciate it.

Third question is are there any decent/cheaper places in and around the west london area that anyone would recommend?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

:D:D:D this is why i sold it!!! so some one would appreciate it , quiet good at maths tho’ aint ya!!:wink:

hey mo if you use the one in dartford you can pick up them spares and ive got a set of black stomp grips for it if you want them for a tenner?

Jetstream - Like Si said, only bought the bike from him a month ago and have so far done approx 500 miles.

My weekly commute is 200 miles on the GSXR and have been out on ride outs a couple of times with a couple of peeps from LB.

Believe me, I ride this bike any chance I can :D.

Si - Can I come round this weekend to pick up the spares if its convenient for you? Maybe Sunday morning 10-11am? I’d rather come by car to make sure I don’t damage the original screen. I’ll take the bike to D&H on another day if they give me a good quote. Not sure what black stomp grips are but will have a look when I collect the parts. Let me know. Cheers.

ill have to let you know mo as i think its kids parties all weekend will let you know tommorow

Sorry mo2k easy mistake to make, enjoy the bike and ignore pedantic pokes from me, they`re only meant in fun.:slight_smile:

No probs, I’m in no rush for them…Just thought I’d get them out of your hair. I’m flexible so we can leave it for another weekend if you want. I don’t see myself removing the pazzos anyway. They’re pretty decent and look really good on the bike. Same with the screen.

No probs mate - no offence taken :).

i have to agree with ya thats why i had them put on just a shame i didnt get to use it i did more miles on my zx9 in one day than i did in a whole 2 months on the gixer glad its gone to a good home tho if i carry on ridding on the roads like i have i may get my self a 750 version;)

Got my 7000 miles full service and was I think £210 from the mobile mechanic. Can’t remember exactly.

You could try West London Suzuki, they open on Saturday’s and have a courtesy bike scheme.

i get all my stuff done by steve jordan…ive got the 750 k6 with 36k miles on the clock and my bikes running great!!:D.
i do like steve jordan as they lend you a bike so you can trundle off to box hill and get a brew…
good honest service from them…and i wont take my bike anywere else…
smiled:).

Shame it looks like a turd though eh Shane :wink:

Only kidding dude - respect to the " mileage crew " :smiley: