Speed with Guy Martin: F1

in case anyone interested, spotted the trailer for this tonight… it’s on on Thursday at 9 and looks good fun. Guy against David Coulthard in an F1 car…

It was sort of ok

Pretty pointless to be honest. Was obvious the F1 car would beat a BMW S1000RR over those tests, should’ve madeit fair and put a MotoGP bike against it, I love guy to bits but not one of his best shows

Apart from the one it won. Aye, I thought it was pretty daft. All a bit too reverential to Coulthard too.

It was meant as a promo for F1, which Ch4 have got the broadcast rights for this season. So why wouldn’t it show the car well, and present their presenter favourably?

The car can’t be brought and used on public roads
The big is the complete oppersite of the above
Now if it was a moto go bike I’m sure results would have been different

Lets be brutally honest, MotoGP bike would not have made much of a difference, except perhaps for the drag race.  The car would still have slaughtered it over the race distance.  Pure downforce dynamics.  I thought it came over as a promo for F1 too, but Guy Martin did give it full beans and credit to him.  I enjoyed it as entertainment.

I got as far as the slalom then stopped watching and cancelled the series link. I thought it was pathetic. A nice program for school boys but that’s about it.

Are they going to race a bike against a hovercraft in a marsh next episode? Wouldn’t surprise me.

I get that it could have used a motor bike and that it was a promo for f1… I still enjoyed it as there were some interesting bits about the tech and the stuff racers go through. but I did find Coulthard and his jokes a bit weird.

Lets be brutally honest, MotoGP bike would not have made much of a difference, except perhaps for the drag race.  The car would still have slaughtered it over the race distance.  Pure downforce dynamics.  I thought it came over as a promo for F1 too, but Guy Martin did give it full beans and credit to him.  I enjoyed it as entertainment. makman

He only won by 20 seconds over 4 Laps, Now Compare a BSB lap record round Silverstone (2:08) compared to a MotoGP bike round Silverstone (2mins dead), Then take into account that was a road race bike on wet tyres rather than a dedicated bike set up for perfect Track Conditions It would’ve been much Closer over the distance as i doubt Coulthard would’ve been able to take a MotoGP bike so easily around the corner as they will corner much quicker than a Race prepared Road Bike. It may still have ended with the F1 car winning at the last corner sprint to the line, but it would’ve been much fairer and a lot more Fun :slight_smile:

I enjoyed it as a bit of fun, but did find myself screaming “he is countersteering you twat!” when the narrator claimed Guy was steering through the slalom using his weight on the footpegs!

The F1 car had to do an extra lap so easily beat him. Yamaha or Honda wouldn’t have given Guy a MotoGP bike, so C4 would have had to use a MotoGP rider with a lot less personality than Guy, which wouldn’t have been as entertaining.

Vale would’ve been fun :slight_smile:

Him and Lewis are mates so could’ve done Hamilton v Rossi

Vale would've been fun :)

Him and Lewis are mates so could’ve done Hamilton v Rossi

Marmablade
Have a feeling that would have blown C4's budget out the window :D

lol, 

Don’t get me wrong with my comment
Guy Martin has balls of steel and his quips are funny
If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have watched it
Dec on the other hand he won a few races and got paid millions that’s it

I love Guy, he is so Humble, when he introduced himself to DC he said “Hi, I’m Guy”… DC didn’t even say his name and just assumed everyone knows him!! Guy always feels like he isn’t famous and no one would know who he is, I also loved how he was trying to Service the Red Bull Lorry lol

It could have been better. Like if they had swapped car and bike. Or raced support vehicles. Or arm wrestled instead of happy slaps. Fastest pot of tea?
All it did for me was confirm that I’d probably enjoy popping round for a cuppa with Guy, but wouldn’t go near Coulthards Tracy Island with yours…

It could have been better. Like if they had swapped car and bike. Or raced support vehicles. Or arm wrestled instead of happy slaps. Fastest pot of tea? All it did for me was confirm that I'd probably enjoy popping round for a cuppa with Guy, but wouldn't go near Coulthards Tracy Island with yours.. yourebarred
Yes, all it done was show how over the top F1 is, like when guy said to DC "You've had to fly a bloke in from france just to start the car!" then took him to the bike and said "Press that Button" and the bike fired to life lol

I think DC is playing a character personally. It keeps him in the industry and well paid. Who wouldn’t want to be flown round the world and enjoy a sport that gives you enjoyment? I know F1 isn’t everyone’s cuppa tea but it is his.