Some Free Friday Afternoon Fun - Bait A Real Live Motorbike Scammer :-)

Morning all,

Saw this on Ebay, 2011 Triumph Bonnie…1680 Miles … looks good should be about £4,300 as a private sale…

BUT

Auction is for 3 days only

Start price £100 …NO reserve

New seller - 0 sales 0% feedback

Seller registered in Denbighshire, North Wales BUT seller emailed me to say bike in Glasgow…

Asked seller to view - ignored question but said it was ‘free delivery’

He wanted me to email him rather tan use Ebay messaging.

No contact number

Asked seller for his number twice but ignored me

No name or surname given in either Ebay or his Email - email name is just a nickname

Currently only £2100 (less than half price)

Hmmmm smells a bit whiffy to me - COULD BE A GENUINE SALE…but I doubt it.

See what you think…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121034265814?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Well no one would part with money without checking the bike and making sure all the paperwork is in order, so as long as you don’t have to travel too far I can’t see the downside. Doubtful it will stay at the current price though…

Just don’t send any money as a deposit, HPI check the bike, take along a mate when you go to pay/pick it up and if anything seems dodgy, walk away…

That’s the problem though - seller has ignored all questions and will not give a contact number - ignored me asking to view it … I have asked for more pics and a reg… I won’t hold my breath … If he is a scammer he is expecting someone to pay first (though some dodgy money transfer thinking they have got it 1/2 price) and offer to deliver it free to your door …

People must still fall for this bullshit otherwise they wouldn’t keep on trying it on.

OR it could be genuine…:Whistling:

Yeah people do get stoopid when there is a “bargain” being offered. Amazing.

totally dodgy in all respects

theres tons of scams on Ebay, what does it matter?

You would know!

+1

Yep that old saying ‘too good to be true’ is often ignored…but you always think - “What if it IS Genuine???”

As I say it could be kosher and there could be an explanation for all these points below …such as

Auction is for 3 days only - He’s in a big hurry to sell
Start price £100 …NO reserve - He’s a a bit naive - thinks it will deffo go above £4k

New seller - 0 sales 0% feedback - We all have to start somewhere

Seller registered in Denbighshire, North Wales BUT seller emailed me to say bike in Glasgow… - Could be his Dad’s bike and he’s selling it for him

Asked seller to view - ignored question but said it was ‘free delivery’ - Hmm harder to explain - why would someone not want you to view? Maybe he shags sheep and is afraid you’ll take a fancy to one of his ‘beauties’

He wanted me to email him rather tan use Ebay messaging. - Excuses getting thinner now - maybe he just prefers email

No contact number - Some people are too shy or think a cockney spiv will try and smooth talk them on the phone.

Asked seller for his number twice but ignored me - As above but the excuses are getting thinner - especially if he wants to sell in a hurry (3 day sale)

No name or surname given in either Ebay or his Email - email name is just a nickname - He does like to be hidden this bloke - Maybe he’s famous …Max Clifford???

Currently only £2100 (less than half price) - Very tempting but could go up as you say

Individually or even a combination of some of these points would normally not be a problem…but ALL of them? Hmm beginning to really stink now.

See what you think…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121034265814?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That’s very true and I take your point.:slight_smile:

BUT scrotes and scammers annoy me whatever and however they are trying to knick stuff.

You could say there are tons of bike thefts in London so why does it matter? But either Ebay bike scam or bike theft is someone trying to steal £3000 (or more) from an unsuspecting (or foolish) biker.Also there is no insurance payout unlike theft , and my guess is that everyone on this forum wouldn’t miss a chance to **** up and spoil a scrote’s chances of knicking a bike.

Whenever I see a scam I try to **** em up and report them - just me I suppose!

Mind you I was interested in this bike if it went at a reasonable price - so there is a selfish interest as well :Whistling:

looks fine to me, he’ll just pull it off at the last minute if it doesn’t get bid up enough…

Yep he could be legit - I asked him what price he was expecting so I could bid up to it - no reply as yet - we’ll see

He just sent this…

Hi,Thanks for getting back to me and here you have more pics attached. The bike is in 100% working condition and as new condition. My asking price is £3,600.00 including delivery to your location.If you have any further questions, please feel free to email me and i will respond you asap.Regards,

Ok so I have a name and he writes decent english - but this is the 3rd time he has ignored my request for a contact number

And notice he mentions ‘free delivery’ again and no mention of viewing or me picking it up - could be innocent but thats a common scam tactic followed by 'pay now by bank transfer and the 100% guaranteed safe delivery will take it to your door…

Anyone like to bet on the odds that this is a scam?

telling you it is delivery only is very iffy…

Have asked two questions to seller

1/ How long have you owned?
2/ Is your name on the log book

Will post any response recived :slight_smile:

Just asked him…

Hi. Just wanted to double check before I bid… you say that the bike comes with all keys. Does this include the red master key for coding the immobiliser?
Many thanks

Might chuck a couple of bids on myself.

I bought a bike without viewing it, or seeing any of the paperwork, off a bloke I had never met.

Then it was a boring bike for a reasonable price, so thems the risks to you take.

Deffinate scam, take a look at the link below for anyone who doesn’t believe me.

http://www.adtrader.co.uk/south-east/east-sussex/etchingham/motorcycles-and-scooters/motorcycles/triumph-bonneville-865-cc-se-2011-61-reg/48bf922ab37a4a449f638f95b4b498cc?keywords=triumph%20bonneville

Im reporting it to ebay and I advise you all do the same!

could just bid it up to 5k :slight_smile:

Hang on a minute - that looks very similar… LOL - well done RudiRulez

OK - so there has to be a way to turn this around.

Tell the dude that you want to have it delivered somewhere else. Tell him you don’t have time to look at the bike and you need him to come and pick up the money from your wife, then deliver the bike for you to another address. THEN when he comes to get the money, either a) have the police in on it (if they will play ball) and get them to come and arrest him or b) Take photos of him, take numberplates and give him a “talking to” (Glasgow style).

My guess is the bloke isn’t even in the country hence the reason he won’t give a contact number, attempts to meet with him and catch him are pointless, the best we can do is bid and don’t pay and be happy that he’s wasted his time and £1.20 or whatever it costs to list the bike.