S1000RR takes on Supercar on Top Gear this Sunday

BMW S 1000 RR TAKES ON SUPERCAR IN THIS SUNDAY’S EPISODE OF TOP GEAR ON BBC 219/01/2011

New series kicks off with a bike v car race, featuring BSB-EVO Champion Steve Brogan

A BMW S 1000 RR, the double championship-winning supersports bike, features in a high-octane superbike vs supercar race on this week’s episode of the hugely popular BBC Top Gear show.

Steve Brogan, the 2010 Mirror.co.uk BSB-EVO champion, will be racing the 999cc, 193bhp stock road bike around the legendary Top Gear test track. He’s up against a £150,000 Ariel Atom V8 – a 475bhp, 550kg supercar powered by two 1300cc motorcycle engines which have been bored out and turned into a V8.

Brogan, who dominated the BSB-EVO class on a race spec BMW, takes on the supercar which costs more then ten times as much as the stock BMW S 1000 RR.

In a neck-and-neck race around the famous circuit, viewers of Sunday night’s show will get to see whether the bike or car, at the hands of a mystery driver, crosses the finishing line first!

Motorcycle News, the UK’s biggest motorcycle publication, was on hand to witness the race and the Wednesday 19 January issue contains a sneak preview. Anyone wanting to know the result will have to tune into the show on BBC2 on Sunday 23 January at 8pm.

Steve Brogan said: “I had a lot of fun filming with Top Gear. I had a few laps in a car then it was out on the stock S 1000 RR. We got some good weather when we filmed it in October and the track was nice and dry so I could push hard. I turned the traction control off as I wanted to use some wheelspin in the corners.

“The car was very quick – and had more than double the horsepower of the bike. But the power to weight ratio was in my favour, so it was a fair race. I rode hard, it was very close! You’ll have to watch to see who came out on top though.”

Ooh tasty! Can’t wait to have a peep of that :slight_smile:

MMMMMMMmmmmmm Steve Brogan what a hottie :smiley: Met him at the BSB… yummmmmmmmm like i said HOTTIE!!!

Bet the car wins… Top gear hates bikes! Can’t wait to see it!

If it does we need to set those boys a real challenge.

I propose Clarkson, Hammond and May in a head to head drinking contest with Mr Jetstream, Roadrunner and Little Smasher.

They`re going down.

The next morning round 5am we ride/drive the BCR.:stuck_out_tongue:

and the top gear has to do it on public transport :w00t:

Or in your Audi.:stuck_out_tongue:

bikes gunna kill it… end of!

Well if its a Daytona 955i with anodised valve caps v an Audi in angel blue, you may have a point, but weve got to factor in the rides chosen and ridden by Roadrunner and Little Smasher.

YOU ARE ON!

(How am I supposed to fit that great lanky tw@ in the back seat. I want to sit next to Hammond :wink: )

Think the lanky twat may wish to drive.:smiley:

The car has got Capt Slow driving, so there maybe a chance for the bike. However, if they’d put a proper race driver in it, like they have done on the bike, the car would likely be embarrassingly quicker.

I think the “mystery driver” will likely be Tiff Needell. We’re not supposed to know, but he is the new “Stig”.

Captain Slow in the V8??!?!:w00t:

They better start looking for a new presenter…:stuck_out_tongue:

they did this before and i think the car one - the bike couldnt go round corners as quickly.

Typical…bike will eat it with speed, car would destroy it with grip/corners.

Especially the Atom, that thing dicks most things.:slight_smile:

I think power to weight is very close too, so acceleration might be close, esp as the engine is 2 bike engines bolted together!!! :w00t: That might help the car as the engine power delivery might be similar to the bike. But lets see. Car will easily out break the bike too I guess.

Given the amount of rubber on the road for the Atom I think the car will win… BUT I DONT WANT IT TO!!! :smiley:

I think the BMW’s power to weight ratio is about 1100 bhp per tonne

BMW win’s…but its a car show so…

Didnt 6th gear do something similar when the K5 Gixxer came out… Car won then cant remember what it was but its always a traction thing though and not always speed.

I’ll watch it anyway but I do find that Top Gear is starting get on my tits a bit though I know its all entertainment driven but it comes across a bit to fake now everything single thing on there is scripted and written and shows too far too much even in the challenges, shame as it used to be really good but its all getting a bit samey! maybe this series will be differernt…

or maybe your just getting old…