Number of Points for New Riders?

“Hi, y’all! I am in Florida on a confernece, but can’t resist checking in at the end of a long day.”

What, just before heading off for the beaches? You b1tch! It’s cold and dark and wet here in London!

Hope you don’t get too tanned there…

Tee-hee! I wish that was true! Locked in a conference yesterday, today and tomorrow, but heading over to a little town I used to live in for the rest of the week as of tomorrow night. I need to write some articles, but plan on being very careful about getting sand in the keyboard .

To be honest, I miss y’all, I miss my bike, and I am gutted that I can’t come to the Christmas party. Take plenty of pictures and post plenty of stories! I shall have a long-distance Christmas party this year as I am missing all of the celebrations. I’ll be thinking of y’all on Friday!

Oh you’ll have a blast. No funny English accents or porkscratchings (not him, the curly hairy ones) just sun, sand and oh hang on, no bike.

Ok mebbe it’ll be a drag. (To use an Americanism if I may)

Don’t worry about missing all the great weather here, there’ll be plenty left when you come back.

And if you can sneak some cigars in your bag for me… have a good time and cu later skater

Amusingly, they are convinced that I am speaking with an English accent! I have spent over a day in meetings with some people at this point and they are utterly shocked when I make an American reference and actually argue with me when I insist that I am American and grew up over here in the deep South. My colleagues find this hilarious! It gets worse every time I come home! Bloody hell .

What type of cigar do you want? I can bring a few over! Shall I bring some cowboys for you, Paivi?

“In any case, you should have known that Central London would have a speed limit of 30mph, so you were being a bit naughty riding at 46mph. If you were a guy, I’d send you to my room…”

In that case, i’m sending you to my room!

shall i bring the handcuffs?

You could always hire a bike over there…

just got my court summons

59 in a 30

i was done with one of those guns altho he was best part of 3hundred yards away and it wasn’t tripod mounted

roll on 1st feb…

As long as they’re not pink and furry!

Brooke: thanks but what with the BMG Scooters and now with my central heating, I think I’ve got all the cowboys I can deal with!

Ouch. Hopefully you’ll get away without a ban.

What were the circumstances (where were you)…?

Oh m’gosh a court summons.

Go with God my son.

fingers crossed.

nice chrimbo present huh

was out to replace the keys for the set i’d lost the previous night (all my padlock keys, house keys everything) which i’d lost in transit after having braking down in north london and being taken to aylesbury and back to get it fixed

not my best 24 hours

came out of the tunnel close to 30 (I know they speed trap coming out of the tunnel). cars joining from the left, looks like i’m goign to get boxed and powered out in to the right hand lane. notice bright jackets and get flagged over. obviously realise i’m pulled for a reason but still thinking its a slapped wrist/maybe 3 pointer. genuinely gobsmacked at the reading, and totally dumbstruck. go through details in a daze, go get key go home and wallow in self pity

Oh, bad luck johnnybravo! Big bikes are bloody fast, we don’t realise how fast we’re going a lot of the time! I feel for you fella… Hope it doesn’t hurt too much.

pi55er dude, really sorry for you.

Aylesbury? That’s up near me and nowhere near you! Put the Duc in storage and get the bus while this bad luck phase passes!

Let me check if I’ve got your keys…

And I didn’t think Ducati’s were that fast!

Good luck in court fella. All of us at LB will keep our fingers crossed for you.

BTW. DO NOT represent yourself. A judge will interpret it as you not taking it seriously and reward you accordingly…

Cheers, Iain.

thanks all

haha, think thats the prob Iain - they seem lazy, but they’re actually pushing the needle on far more than you think to start with. this was when i’d prob only had the 748 a month or so after the '04 r6 which i’d racked up some pretty decent mileage. actually felt slow to start with, needle would often say otherwise!

Thanks for the advice. didn’t know that they took a dim view of the self-rep, thought that they might even get the hump if i did hire someone but that just strengthens it. I’m sure the lawyer will be better at chasing all the easy bases too like the calibration certificate etc. He’ll also know how best to plee my case and with a bit of luck may even know the judge (i.e. which way he’s likely to lean given circumstances etc.). I’d actually booked in for the Bikesafe thing before this happened so can at least show I’m taking my riding seriously/error of my ways?

Anyone got globbered for similar? I’m wondering what i’m likely to be looking at damage wise? If I’m odds on for a ban of some length, i’ll prob have to make preparations to lose the car as I wont be afford to run it anymore. Currently have 3 points from a SP50 motorway collar 2 years ago. No endorsements in 10 years of licence otherwise…

Without our friendly officers for guidance. The general rule of thumb is 30MPH over any limit and your banned for a while. Could be a week. Could be six months. If you’re going for gold you could do a stretch inside. I’ve always found the +30 “rule” a little strange as in my book doing 60 in a 30 is worse than doing 100 on a motorway. The ban is discretionary not mandatory hence a good case makes a difference.Doing 115 on the motorway is good for 2mths (3 on the outside).

Technically you shouldn’t be banned as you were “only” doing 29 over the limit. Do some research on the web, there are plenty of sites. As you can imagine lots of people are faced with speeding fines and a court summons. Doing a Bike Safe is a good idea anyway, but especially now. Try and do it at the Ace. They’re a particularly good bunch there. I don’t have a good lawyer to recommend as I haven’t used on in years. Can anyone else recommend one? RAC will give motoring legal advice. Don’t think they’ll represent you but worth checking. A friend just got six points and let off a ban doing 101 (or 103) on the motorway. He played the exceptional hardship angle. He has people working for him that would have been affected by his ban. That’s the good news. The bad news was a £900 fine plus legals. If you want me to find out who he used PM me. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers, Iain.

most of the sites I’ve viewed say its 3-6 points until that magical 30mph over. however, it appears there is also discretion of the court at play so i’d better smile sweetly and take a large portion of humble pie to munch during the proceedings.

last post was kind of unclear - already done the bikesafe a few months back at the ace - couldnt’ agree more, top day, top blokes!

if you’re talking 60 down a crowded high street then yes, defo worse than ton on the motorway. 2 lane road, no pavements/pedestrians, dry day, good visability, lane changing to avoid a potential prob with too much juice - not sure i was putting anyone at risk there really but the laws the law i guess…

best not go mad on the xmas presents with a bill like that coming my way huh?

yee-ouch!

yep they do afaik

Didn’t realise you’d already done B/Safe sorry.

OK. To make myself more clear with the +30MPH rule. Think of it this way. Doing 60 in a 30 and you are exceeding the speed limit by 100%. 70 to 100 is only an extra 43%. So it a proportional thing.

You could argue that doing 60 in a 30 is like doing 140 in a 70… Either way I think it’s more important to do a safe speed most of the time. I know some country bendy roads that are 50 & 60 that if you were to do more than 35 down it would be suicide. I guess this will change as our nanny state tightens the rules down to account for the lowest common denominator (or should I say muppet)? That means bikers and any driver with any ability has to drive on auto-pilot and try and stay awake!!! Doing 50 on some parts of the A3 is enough to get you excited about watching paint dry.

It’s sounds like this 30 limit you were riding on shouldn’t have been a 30 in the first place. Unfortunately the councils seem all too enthusiastic to put 20 & 30’s everywhere. All the roads around where I live have had the limits fall over the years. The Police are just enforcing what the councils decide as I understand it.