New near miss compilation

Thanks Tim, was waiting for your reply :slight_smile:

Nothing big or clever here mate, just sharing the clips.

I agree about the woman I shouted at - already covered that above ^^^

as mentioned above, all the good forward planning clips I’m saving for my really boring 4 hour montage which I probably won’t end up uploading, due to it being massively boring.

meant to go on green not amber? get a grip mate! You seriously trying to say I’m a bad rider because I start to pull away when the lights start to change? You take pedantry to new levels mate.

I hurled abuse at the bus driver who was purposefully forcing the van driver in to the oncoming traffic because he was, undeniably, A FUCKING DICKHEAD.

if your pulling away on amber and the crossing ahead is not clear or that vehicles are still in that area then yes i will be a pedant i will even get my dog collar out

and as said the give way ruling on bus … was it indicating before the van and yourself carried on up beside it as thats not shown in the vid and also down to the forward planing of the van and yourself seeing as approaching a keep left bollard ? … and was it your fight to get involved in ?

…but the van driver didn’t seem to bothered about it, and if he was he has a giant metal box behind him to protect him if anything goes wrong. He probably doesn’t need a biker with a chip on his shoulder fighting his battles.

Maybe the van driver didn’t care, but I felt in danger sitting in that situation so my defenses went up - an oncoming vehicle could have hit that van which in turn could have hit me - all because the bus driver was being a childish prick by not letting the van in - there comes a point as a bus driver when you must think ‘ok, this idiot isn’t giving way so I should maybe let him in considering I’m forcing him out into the oncoming traffic and potentially putting peoples lives in danger’ - are you seriously suggesting the bus driver is still in the right by stubbornly refusing to let the van driver in just because some rule in the rule book says he has right of way? At what point should we forget about the rules and use our own common sense?

So I let my feelings known to the bus driver, then it just so happened that I was stuck behind the van and the bus driver opened his window to hear my opinions again, which I gave him. Yes, I got road rage, no biggie.

some fair points here about road sense. as for people pulling out it could be that you need louder pipes so that ppl hear you coming :wink:

Maybe they’re all taken by surprise that a BMX can go that fast :smiley:

They’re pretty loud pan - the mic on my camera really doesn’t do them justice :wink:

He makes up for it though with the over enthusiastic revving :smiley:

Maybe change the horn!!

lol, I’ll race you Alex :wink: (in a controlled environment of course, whilst observing any rules or regulations :doze:)

offset from start …revving engine forcing past why ?
0.51 van pulling out … is this a roundabout but van already committed and yet you still proceed into danger and sound horn when a little slower and no need ?
0.58 car already well in road no danger to you but yet you still continue at speed and rev engine and by you bearing down on them could have pressured them into pulling out in front of oncoming biker
1.07 car pulling out again again forward plan slow down problem gone but you still rev engine ?
1.15 overtaking on zigzags preceeding a crossing
1.20 overtaking a vehicle with a junction resulted in bike being hit
1.31 rule 170 highway code •watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
1.36 rule 170 highway code •watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
1.48 •older pedestrians who may need more time to cross the road. Be patient and allow them to cross in their own time. Do not hurry them by revving your engine or edging forward. blue car in front had seen and started to slow down but you undertook and continued at same speed
2.31 car does a uturn … but why put yourself in danger by riding behind them … they may not haqve seen you in a panic and continued their manouvere
2.40 line markings point to vehicles to merge to the left why was the van there in first place ? and you wre stuck behind van ???
3.09 wet conditions poor visibility you shoulder check move position then sound horn Why … this forced that motorist to brake heavily

3.14 your still travelling whilst vehicle is crossing from the right … contimue and if you look to the right you will see traffic building up … cars should not be there agreed but you dealt with it aggresevily instead of planning such as scooter had
3.46 car is indicating left yet you proceed to undertake and rev engine
4.10 van indicating their intention yet you rush in and sound horn putting yourself in that danger
5.00 red amber go … green
5.08 van clearly moving over but no indication yet you rush in and sound horn putting yourself in that danger

martyr complex

The exhausts are loud, the revving is louder than the horn (which is why I do it - plus they come out at car window height) but the camera’s mic doesn’t pick that up. I would love to put some of them big horns that eezyrider has on my bike, but because it’s such a lean, lightweight bike there is literally nowhere to put them. So Hello Kitty horn it is! :slight_smile:

Light and lean means nothing with you on it

Not really revving, I just don’t like putting my feet down unless I have to so I am just getting bits of biting point to keep me on the bike while I wait for the gap which I know is coming. Hardly forcing my way past :doze:

It’s not a roundabout, he pulled into my lane so I wanted to get in front of the van and let him know about it. Martyr syndrome if you like.

lol, the driver wasn’t paying any attention to me, I continued at the speed which I judged would have made me arrive at the car as it crossed my lane. I’m not going to slow down more than I need to.

Please show me the bit in the highway code that says revving my engine is not allowed?

News flash - everyone does it! Do you even ride in the london rush hour in south london? Although saying that as a result of thsi clip I no longer filter on this part iof this road, but not because of the zig zags - just because it’s dangerous.

Yeah it was the scooter fault.

I saw the pedestrian thanks and you may notice that I didn’t ride into her, therefore I must have given way.

You probably notice that I did give way but they kept coming - even though the little red man told them to stay put - meanwhile I have cars and buses up my arse…

Do me a favour! A mental case decides to walk across the middle of the old kent road in rush hour! If I had been ‘patient’ and allowed her time to cross - I would have been under a bus. I didn’t see her until I was alongside the blue car because i had bright sunshine dazzling me in my mirrors.

I wanted to alert the driver to the fact that he suddenly did a uturn without indicating, which I’m sure you’ll agree is a big motorcyclist killer.

see above ^^^

ummm…let me see…because the driver could have killed me? Maybe next time that motorist pulls out of that junction they might think/look twice?

wtf? planning? lol I had just pulled away from the junction to that roundabout, the scooter happened to be in the lane without an obstruction, I had the car. As soon as I saw the car was coming on to the roundabout I started braking which you can even see in the video. I sounded my horn because he was a prick. Simple as that.

You can see that the car doesn’t start indicating until I am close to him, the first light you see is the left side rear brake light. When I see that brake light I figure he might be turning right at the lights so I proceed in the bus lane which I was already in and which I am allowed to be in, then he suddenly indicates and starts to move into my lane.

He only just starts to indicate, I carry on going because I think ‘this guy can see me and is not going to pull into my path’ - I was wrong.

But the bus going through the RED light is OK yeah? :doze:

This was one of the worst clips imho, that van driver tried to kill me - simple as that. He saw me coming and pulled into the bus lane (which he is not allowed to be in anyway) on purpose to block my route.

hahaha fair point mate :wink:

I do find it hard to understand you’re thinking in this video tehswerver, If you saw the training that I put people through (potential driving instructors) you would realise the gulf, as to what makes someone a good driver, and how poor the normal standard of driving is…

I would prefer to ride defensively, but certainly not go against the rules of the road, it takes more skill and ability to be understanding to others level of driving, and to obey all the rules, than it does to break them and be aggressive.

I hope for your sake that you manage to stay safe and not get taken out by someone who decides to knock you off because you had a go at them, and i hope that you dont knock someone down one day, because they walked in front of your bike… if they have never had lessons and hold no licence they might not hold a good level of anticipation and expect someone to overtake at a crossing, or overtake a bus when the bus was pulling out.

Bit concerned for your safety…

Yes the cars shouldn’t have pulled out and the peds should have waited but you know they are there and are likely to do stupid things, right?

The common theme to all the clips seems to be that you are riding too fast for the conditions and your reactions aren’t up to it. You see the hazard soon enough (your camera is right there looking at it so I assume you have your eyes open)… but you don’t slow down. Could that low speed spill on the cobbles have made you nervous about braking perhaps? :Whistling:
…and maybe try riding with the camera turned off for a few weeks so you don’t feel like you have to perform? :wink:

bus lane doesnt start when driver moved over so he was not doin anything wrong …

but these are my own observations on the video you post

I havent read other people’s posts as I shouldnt even be on here wasting time
But you seriously need to sit down and watch this again with someone you trust is a good rider and can take criticism from
A lot of those situations you seemed to create in the sense that you had plenty of warning to slow down just a touch and let the danger get out of your way before continuing.

Obviously there were a few were the driver is clearly to blame eg the silver car pulling out of the side street and I suppose the car that did the u-turn probably hadnt checked their mirrors (although luckily you were not alongside them at the time).
But in my opinion, you seem to think that as it is your right of way you shouldn’t have to deviate or slow down (until of course you have to avoid a collision). It would be great if it were that simple.

Of course the other option is that you are actively seeking a “3rd party upgrade” and want to ensure the footage captures a good enough one?!?!??!?

0.52 the silver van pulls out, u need to try driving a panel van , then you could judge the situation better .
some road junctions put the van at such a bad position that you can not see to exit into traffic flow - you just can not see whats there , its bad road planning , but whos going to come off worse bike or van?

Thanks for posting this video, tehswerver, very interesting and a good reminder of the kind of hazards we all have to deal with on a daily basis.

Given that you’ve only been riding for less than a year I think you’re doing very well. Yes you have a lot still to learn - don’t we all - but your posting this vid is giving you the valuable benefit of many experienced motorcyclists providing their excellent advice here, and that is something we can all learn from as none of us are perfect. I have learnt a lot from this thread and I’ve been riding for 15 years :hehe:

Let me know when you’re next at BM and I will try to make it there as well to have a look and see where you might be able to mount a Stebel Nautilus on your bike - there will always be somewhere :cool: It would be good to meet you.

Stay safe :slight_smile: