New Bike Dilemma - Z1000SX/KTM SMT/Tracer 900/Tiger Sport?

Hey everyone, I’ve got a new bike dilemma which I’m hoping I might be able to get some opinions on!

I’ve currently got a 2004 Suzuki SV1000S which I love but I’ve had it a few years now and I fancy something new. I also want something a bit more upright which is easier to live with day to day and do some touring on. I’ve narrowed my selection down to a few bikes but I’ve got some concerns. 

I’ll have around £6-7k to spend, and have been looking at the Kawasaki Z1000SX, the KTM 990 SMT, the Yamaha Tracer 900 and the Triumph Tiger 1050. 

My main concerns are - I don’t want anything that’s less fun than my bike on a day to day/weekend blast basis (bit worried about that with the Z1000SX (due to it’s weight) and Tiger in particular).

I don’t want whatever I get next to be slower than my current bike as I plan to keep it for a few years and don’t want to get bored of it! The Tracer is the concern there as it makes 115bhp which is around the same as the SV.

Are there any owners on here who can help? I’m going to start doing some test rides soon but maybe if anyone has ridden an SV1000S and can give a comparison of it to any of the bikes above, or let me know what you think of your bikes? 

My main criteria are - Fun on a day to day basis/weekend blasts - Decent weather protection for riding through winter - Some touring ability for the odd 200 mile day as I plan to tour Europe on it - Not too old as I’d like to keep it for 3-5 years and it still be worth something!

Any other suggestions for bikes I haven’t considered will be welcome too! 

Thanks guys and girls!!

Think they are all decent competent bikes. Just test ride them and decide for yourself. People will always tell you how their one is best. And it may be, for them. Different shapes, different type of riding, different abilities…So just ride em and make yet own mind up :slight_smile:

What Nick says. 

I could tell you bikes I think are proper shite! but others on here will say I’m talking crap…

And if you go for the Kwaka, make sure you get a green one. All the others are rubbish :slight_smile:

All of them will do what you want, I’d probably say the Kawasaki Z1000SX has a power delivery least like you’ve currently got it being a inline 4 - it’ll need a little more revs than your used to but still a good bike, try and get a newer model if possible.

The KTM 990 SMT is a fun bike but probably the worst fuel range out of all of these.

Tracer 900, defiantly don’t get a 1st generation one the later versions have a better front end, me_groovy will explain better as he owns one.

I’ve looked at the Tiger 1050, I own a Speed Triple 1050. The engine in mine is amazing, I believe the Tiger is geared differently but it’s got loads of torque. I’ve also looked at the KTM 1050, but think i’d prefer the KTM 1090 Adv R which will be out of your price range.

Out of the 4 bikes you listed, the Tracer is the only one that has less torque than your SV

Test ride them all.  Except the Terrible Triumph.

Thanks guys, yeah I’ll be getting some test rides in to see what I think of them soon. The Z1000SX is appealing to me because it’s got the most power, with traction control and riding modes, and I’ve had an IL4 before, albeit a GSX600F with about 70hp! I have ridden a GSXR1000 and an RF900 which were very fun so I don’t think the power delivery would be a problem, more just the weight!

A bike dealer local to me has a 2012 SMT within my price range but they won’t let me take it for a test ride first which is a bit of a put off. 

I did actually almost buy a Tiger 1050 about 6 months ago but I got to the bike and found it had a different engine number to that which was in the log book - a big red flag! I actually called Triumph and they checked the number on the bike and said it had never been registered to a Triumph engine so I walked away. 

I think the appeal of the Tracer is the styling - I’ll have to have a go on one and see what I think of the power/torque situation!

Good job with the engine check. Anything even smells dodgy, just walk away :-)  There’s always another round the corner…

Yep, bloke pretended not to know about it but he didn’t seem that annoyed to find out the bike he was selling had a dodgy engine in it, so I suspect he knew but didn’t want to let on!

I’ve owned both the SMT and the Z1000.  Still have the SMT, and it is a hoot, yes the fuel range is rather variable, but a Sunday afternoon blast you’ll be hitting reserve around 120, with about 4 litres to spare, touring on it once got 190 miles out of the tank.  Plus they are very light, and highly flickable.

The SMT has awesome fully adjustable suspension.  The suspension on the Tracer I’ve heard it is not great with a lot of people speccing the Ohlins for a lot money.  Which KTM dealer have you dealt with?

Hello, tracer owner checking in, the engines are great but don’t buy one, they’re shit. Aside from the terrible handling from the front forks being oversprung and underdamped, the seat panels cracking if you have the gall to actually sit on the bike, the rear shock rusting within 3 months and the wind buffeting being terrible, the oil coolers fail if you happen to ride in anything other than perfectly clean dry roads.

Thanks for that! The fuel range isn’t the end of the world for me, I would probably want to stretch my legs after 100 miles or so anyway! What did you think of the Z1000 compared to the SMT? Leagues apart? I must admit the suspension is a big draw to the KTM but the engine is for the SX!

The KTM dealer is Hysides in Romford, although I’ve only had a 5 minute chat with them about the bike on the phone, I’ve never bought a bike from them.

Very interesting! Thanks for that. I have read about poor quality on them but I saw one at the excel show and didn’t think it was terrible, but obviously you don’t know until you’ve owned one! Guess you’ll be selling soon then?

Keep the sv, love mine!

I’ve test ridden the MT-09 (naked version) and the street triple 675. Both were brilliant bikes that I can’t see myself getting bored of, though the test rides were before I got the sv (3 years ago).

I am pondering changing my sv for a street triple though, but I’ve wanted one for years. I’m missing revving the tits off of it out of corners, which you can’t do on the sv without doing a ton)

Get a late model KTM 990…

[quote] I've owned both the SMT and the Z1000.  Still have the SMT, and it is a hoot, yes the fuel range is rather variable, but a Sunday afternoon blast you'll be hitting reserve around 120, with about 4 litres to spare, touring on it once got 190 miles out of the tank.  Plus they are very light, and highly flickable. The SMT has awesome fully adjustable suspension.  The suspension on the Tracer I've heard it is not great with a lot of people speccing the Ohlins for a lot money.  Which KTM dealer have you dealt with? --- Kevsta [/quote]

Thanks for that! The fuel range isn’t the end of the world for me, I would probably want to stretch my legs after 100 miles or so anyway! What did you think of the Z1000 compared to the SMT? Leagues apart? I must admit the suspension is a big draw to the KTM but the engine is for the SX!
The KTM dealer is Hysides in Romford, although I’ve only had a 5 minute chat with them about the bike on the phone, I’ve never bought a bike from them.

46robbie46
I struggled with the SX, I put 4500/5000 miles on the clock in less than a year, but I struggled with comfort and induced pain but that was me rather than the bike, just not compatible.  Know people who rid them all day and have no issue, but I couldn't do more than a couple of hours before I had to stop, and then the ride time just smaller and the stops got longer.  Tried everything, gel seat, altering the pegs etc.  In the end Bluelagos got a bargain, and he's more than happy. :D

Comparing the bikes is chalk and cheese.  KTM has less power, but is more fun, the engine on the SX is awesome, and it is quicker in straight line and has a higher top speed.  There is also about 40kg difference in weight in the KTMs favour.  I’d ride both and make up your own mind.  Best getting a 2012 model or later if you can on the SMT.

Try The KTM Centre in Hemel Hempsted.  They do set the standard for KTM, not sure if they have any SMTs in stock as they are highly sort after.  But them a call and ask for Jason.

Kin hel Kev, did you clock it? 3500 on it when I bought it off ya!

[quote] I struggled with the SX, I put 4500/5000 miles on the clock in less than a year, but I struggled with comfort and induced pain but that was me rather than the bike, just not compatible.  Know people who rid them all day and have no issue, but I couldn't do more than a couple of hours before I had to stop, and then the ride time just smaller and the stops got longer.  Tried everything, gel seat, altering the pegs etc.  In the end Bluelagos got a bargain, and he's more than happy. :D Comparing the bikes is chalk and cheese.  KTM has less power, but is more fun, the engine on the SX is awesome, and it is quicker in straight line and has a higher top speed.  There is also about 40kg difference in weight in the KTMs favour.  I'd ride both and make up your own mind.  Best getting a 2012 model or later if you can on the SMT. Try The KTM Centre in Hemel Hempsted.  They do set the standard for KTM, not sure if they have any SMTs in stock as they are highly sort after.  But them a call and ask for Jason. --- Kevsta [/quote]
Kin hel Kev, did you clock it? 3500 on it when I bought it off ya!
bluelagos
No I did have it serviced so I thought it was at the service interval.  Memory plays tricks, what's on the clock now?

25k. I’ll have to get in MOTd shortly.

Like Kevsta I have owned a 990, and miss it but this one looks nice…

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804215781048?cc-from=900&make=KTM&radius=1500&postcode=wd233al&advertising-location=at_bikes&sort=price-desc&model=SUPERMOTO&page=1