my new bike isn't so pretty any more

when i have damaged my riding kit in the past i managed to claim for it via my house and contents insurance, could be worth looking at?

Sorry to hear that mate, I thought the punctures were bad luck but that’s nasty.

Put it down to experience mate, and thank your lucky stars everyone hobbled away.

RE: Part-time bike while it’s in the shop, might the garage where it’s being “done” be able to help you out, poss at a small cost. You could also buy an old hack on the cheap and sell it on once you’ve got yours back.

Jolyon

hey danno - actually the gear is covered - it was an option on the insurance and glad i took it

the garage that picked up the bike can do a hire one but looks like it’d be at my own cost - didn’t actually find out how much that’d be but guess i’ll go back to them and check.

if its expensive then yeah, maybe a piece of crap that can get me to work and back for a few weeks then sell again

god this sucks. self medication could be the way forward charly

Feeling for you mate, bad luck These litre bikes can catch you out very easy… Good job you have fully-comp insurance. It’s still a shame of course, as you’ll take a hit at renewal time. You didn’t say how much damage there was to the other party, but I hope it’s limited.

If I had my DRZ working, you would be welcome to borrow that

When I had my off (Hit on the roundabout under the hamersmith fly over ) I contacted Rider support which dealt with the Insurance companies on my behalf. They arranged everything including hire bike. Mind this was some years ago so Insurance companies may now specify exclusions to bike hire. No halm in trying as it’s all done on a no win no fee bassis… http://www.ridersupport.com/

thanks mate. yep, hefty excess and the loss of ncb and claim disclosure is going make next year hard. have had this happen with cars before a long time ago and theres little else to do other than just wear it. at least i’ll be gettin my bike back in mint condition

the other bike had a buckled rear wheel, damage to the can, dented tank, lost a peg and some abrasion from what i saw but not sure about the mechanicals beyond that.

cool dan - will check that out. i think as i’m accepting liability i dont get that option but certainly doesn’t hurt to ask the question

read your pms mate!

Cezar, you dishing out PMS now ??? That ain’t gonna help any hehe!

Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, what to say?

This really sucks and if there is anything I can do to help I will. You wanna borrow the 7 for a while? No problemo.

Know what you mean about claiming off insurance and next years premium? thats why i decided to fix up bike myself? The insurance co have told me if i claimed im looking at an arm and leg next year?..its not worth it, so i got the dealers estimate which turned out 4 and half thou, prob would have ended up more? Then went on ebay and luckily found a guy whos breaking a blade, got most of parts i needed from him, forks,yolks,footpegs, then went back on ebay and got screen, mirrors,levers,bar ends,indicators, took wheel and went to hagans to have straightened, then got the guys who are doing bike for me to start on the fairing? nose cone was a mess, lights front and back were untouched as was swingarm…so lucky there…but so far ive spent about one and half thou…all parts are new by the way, not used…but its still saved me 3 thou or more on the dealers prices? PLUS i dont lose no claims, ive got another helmet, new, but again off ebay and cheaper than one i saw in bike shop, again lucky…and ive got another set of leathers anyway…so im ok there…

Im afraid you are right mate, you are gonna be clobbered on your next insurance?

Sorry to hear of this JB. Good luck with the claim.
BTW If your going to do some trackdays when you get it back consider aftermarket fairings, footrests and clip ons and put the original bits in the loft for when you need them or if you sell the bike.
This stack does not count as getting your knee down though.

Really sorry to hear about your “off” mate,hope you get everything sorted with minimum fuss

Ade

JB sorry to hear about your off dude I know the feeling of seeing your new bike all bent up, good luck mending her and yourself

Just pray that your insurance company don’t try raping you come renewal time

(I second blades first post)

realy sorry to hear that ben, hope is sorted soon…

makes me think because a was going to put a brembo master cylinder on my bike.

the only thing is, on the road you react fast and “grab a handfull” not giving the tyre a chance to form a good contact patch befor it lets go.

its hard to train your brain to brake progressively, sort then realy hard.

i think ill leave it as it is…

again best wishes mate, anything i can do Pm me.

Adam

ps LOL @ brian…

Thats bad news mate, was looking forward to seeing you at Brands. You could have just said no, you didn’t have to through your bike down the road to get out of it!

gutted for you mate, hope you feel better soon

Yeah, gutted for ya here too mate and sorry to hear this! Hope ya dont beat yerself up too much.

Wish you all a speedy recov and a lotta luck with the repairs.

I’d just question whether most riders could exert enough force quick enough to stop in an emergency with one or two fingers, and those of us riding older bikes with softer brakes it is not that unlikely that you could trap the remaining fingers between the bar and lever.

Remember folks, what works for Charly may not work for you. I use all fingers (most of mine are dodgy with arthritis so cannot do Rossi style one fingered stuff) on both bikes and haven’t lost it under heavy braking.

Stopping very quickly in an emergency will need a lot of skill, the good thing is that you can learn how to do this.
I cant stress how important braking drills are. Find a very quiet road or car park and get used to the feel of the brakes and how quickly they will stop you. Progressively braking harder and harder. Soon youll have much more confidence and if in an emergency youll know your capabilities and wont panic.
Dont use the rear in an emergency, its literally useless. The front brake does 99.9% of the stopping here.

lol highside - yep, all a cunning ploy! gutted. as soon as its back on the road i’m booking up mate, dont worry!

i’d agree with b if you’re not sure about your braking then defo worth doing the drills. unfortunately in my case i’m not sure that would have made much difference - i’m no rossi but would say i’m was used to pulling up my ducati on brembos sharpish, and had a reasonable feel for the r1. its just that in the split second i knew i had to stop, i also realised that i didn’t have enough distance to do it in - i was gonna hit either way so had to try and push the braking/evasive action. didn’t work, clearly

would have preferred to scrub some more of the speed with my tyres rather than my ass tho!

good way 2 practise stoppies 2…