Motorbike discrimination

I can honistly say that I haven’t had any hassle over the five years that I have been riding… I must be the lucky one eh!!!

I’m surprised that there’s not more stories of descrimination, either we’re the best of the bunch or we don’t put ourselves in a position where we allow ourseleves to be descriminated against or we don’t see the descrimination.

Sounds like a more probable assumption, midlife! Attitude has a big part to play in it, and presentation, I would have thought. Though there’s bikers who are less caring of what others think, and probably are victim of this much more than we’re aware!

Can’t say I have ever been asked to take my lid off at a petrol station before although I read in MCN (I think) recently that it was the policy of the big fuel companies to refuse to sell petrol to bikers that didn’t remove their lids for ID purposes. Hasn’t made any difference though - the lid stays firmly on my head. You can understand about banks though - I bet a lot of bank raiders use helmets to disguise themselves so you can’t blame banks for asking us to remove them. I would definitely boycott a petrol station that didn’t serve me for keeping it on though.

Aye but you’re a foxxy lass!!! The only hassle you’re gonna get is a completely different kind to that which I encounter occaisonally from frusted Hitlers and overzealous officials.

Or at least I hope it is…

I bet that a guy wearing a hell angel waistcoat would not be bothered by anyone at a petrol station or shops…

Well most bank robbers wear lids, hoods and all sorts to rob them of the money. So I would expect them to tell you to take off your lid.

But there is a point to all this, YOU CAN NEVER TRUST STRANGERS. To us its a pain having to take your lid off when you just want to fill up or buy food, pay and ride off ASAP, but if you’ve never seen that person before then your not going to trust them. Therefore if they are going to steal then you would like to see there face to recognise them. But why the don’t do it to people wearing hoods and head scarf does strike me as picking on bikers.

Ask yourself, if you were selling something to someone, wouldn’t you want to see there face if something were to happen?

As for having clubs/pubs and attractions denying people access because someone has a lid with them is silly. London is a big city and motorbike/scooter use is becoming more and more. So it would make sense for them to have lockers or some storage areas for lids.

If you look at it from both sides its a battle that can’t be won and a big debate that will go on forever lol.

I think there’s discrimination in general.

I got refused entrance to a bar on Piccadilly (Jewel Bar I think it was) because I was wearing two piece leathers (Plain black Dainese). I couldn’t believe it. As I was part of a large group it was a bit awkward.

Still some bars and places wont let you in with a cap or hood either.

never had that problem

I cant say ive ever had that problem,i have always gone into bars and clubs with crash helmet sometimes even in leathers…

Yer, but what kinda bars and clubs?

ROTFL

Fetish ones for sure!

Since I’ve riding again have only had trouble in a petrol station once, and that was because the attendant couldnt see my dark blue car at night and thought I was filling up a can???

Only other trouble I have is if I go into the pub over the road from work in my motorcycle gear the bloke behind the bar keeps trying to chat me up

H

hahaha! God one mate!

The only real problem I have had is at a small petrol station that is on my way to our Slough office (it’s not in Slough). Went in one morning to get fuel, did the usual remove gloves, switch on alarm, turn the movement sensor off… I started to put petrol in and after about £1.20 it went off. I look at the bloke in the office, ended up walking over to him.

“You must remove your helmet”

“But you already started to serve me”

“Remove your helmet or no petrol” (His English was poor…)

I told him bollox, left the money that I owed on the floor of the office and walked out. I was very tempted to pull all the nozzles out of the pumps but thought better of it.

1 week later 6 of us turned up on bikes and held up all the car deivers as we wouldn’t take our lids off. After about 10 minutes we buggered off before the police came. Nothing illegal, just being awkward. Haven’t been back since (obviously).

I’ve never had a problem at any other petrol station…

I have never had issues with fuel stations, I have never had issues with banks either (only kept my lid on when using flip helmet, I always remove my full face in banks).

I have had issues with bars in Harrow.

Poor - Rat And Parot have some bizare entrance policy, it is ok to be underage, it is ok to wear gang member/chav/ghetto/estate fashions. No helmets. It is ok during the day though.

Good - Trinity is cool. There are 2 bikers, one is security staff and the other I am sure works the bar. And I can leave my lid with the bar staff who put it in the cellar. (The place gets crowded and it is safer away from drunk people).

Good - Junction is cool too. I am friendly with security, can put my lid behind the bar, they have spaces for clothes/bags/lids on large window sills, next to many tables.

? - Fat Controller is mixed. Sometimes its not a problem, sometimes it is refused entry. Depends how bored the bouncers are.

I would also like to point out to people who leave a lid with their bikes. If a thief wants to steal your bike, you just made it easier for him to ride away. Never make it easy for them.

Same old story, you must pay for your fuel first “but im paying by card do I look like a theif” yes, well you look like a C**t that will skim my debt card so wtf are we going to do nob jockey catch 22 im sure by law you dont have to leave your debt card with anyone fruad etc

Good point DJ. I’ve had my card skimmed and dup’ed before. Don’t know if it was a restaurant or petrol station that did it. Either way it’s a pain in the butt.

Cant recall ever havin a problem in 24 yrs of riding.

Always fill up at sainsburys Watford dome now as on way and cheapest around.