Mobile phones whilst driving , what Penalty is appropriate ? Discuss

I think a one month ban would make people think again before doing it. Points and a fine people just count as unlucky.

One of the chaps on bike safe said he’d no time for people using their phones while driving, he took them all to court.

Evisceraton for peeling and eating a cup cake at Hanger Lane Gyratory, setting off at a green traffic light with no hands on the wheel. (Seen today at 2.00 pm).

How about 3 points and £100 fine, as of 1st July :slight_smile:

didnt change anything the first time, why would it make a difference now Rusty?

i’m gonna start counting them from today until july and after that. my own personal research. :slight_smile:

and penalty should be a kick in the groin. hurts for both males and females. :smiley:

Oh it will change, there will be lots more court dates as people won’t want to part with £100.

Who going to enforce this?, except “Road wars” haven’t seen many are trying.

R

I can see the “holeyer than though” brigade taking photos maybe then dobbing you in!! then when they get bored with that they will find some thing else to pick on.

What like that guy who took a photo while driving of a police officer who was on the phone whilst driving who turned out to be an actor? :smiley:

At the end of the day when someone loses their licence for totting up points due to continually using their phones whilst driving then surely that would make them take note, people will learn soon enough.

so if we want ban of 6 months for talking on the phone…why not the same for speeding? and I dont mean 100 in a 30…why not for doing 40 in a 30 or 75 in a 60?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the current punishment? are points involved?

I would say at the very least it should carry the same penalty as speeding or running a red light, so minimum 3 points and £60.

Rosso, the old bill have been known to prosecute for eating at the wheel, there was a case ages ago where everyone was outraged that in court the police used helicopter camera evidence to get someone for eating an apple while in charge.

Ideally same rules as drink driving should apply for an offence that has been proven to be as dangerous, would be my recommendation, but I like Serrisans 1 month ban idea, harsh enough to cause people to re think but not so bad as to be a life ruiner. Isn’t this already the case on some European countries?

I’d vote for this.

oh also, I don’t like the idea of points if you instigate the 1month ban…

Points seem to be a way of penalising drivers for something stupid for a loooong period of time. Eventually drivers forget they have them.

the 1 month ban gets immediate results. I noticed it in my dad when he got done like this in Greece… he stopped using his phone

Getting some coppers out on the road to enforce the current law would be a good start. The punishment could be hanging, drawing & quartering but if you never get caught then it’s no deterrent.

very true.

^^ exactly thats why i said, it hasnt changed anything so far, not many people get caught and loads still do it.

[quote]
KTM D (24/06/2013)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the current punishment? are points involved?

I would say at the very least it should carry the same penalty as speeding or running a red light, so minimum 3 points and £60.

Rosso, the old bill have been known to prosecute for eating at the wheel, there was a case ages ago where everyone was outraged that in court the police used helicopter camera evidence to get someone for eating an apple while in charge.

Yeah I am aware of that one, and possible others but the mobile phone seems to be on every ones minds more than any thing else, my point being that there are a lot more things other than mobile phones to distract drivers that go un noticed, so it seems.

The point is that although you can do loads of things while you are behind the wheel, using a phone, hands free or not, takes your mind elsewhere - you have to think about the phone call. I.e. not on the job of driving. So therefore its more of a problem than eating an apple etc. (not sure whether its more distracting than getting a BJ though, Rosso, do you know? ). Penalty should be related to driving without due care and attention (code CD10, 3 to 9 points). Yes it needs enforcement. Of course.

Today , in Wealdstone followed a newish Mercedes ( I had 2 students with me !) wandering all over the place doing 20/25 in a clear 30mph nearly drifted a couple of times onto opposite side of road whilst he was looking down towards his right leg TEXTING , I was sitting in his Offside mirror for forever on a White Pan European dressed like a Christmas Tree he was so oblivious it was stupid.
Finally cos he had his window open I gave him a gentle Toot ! His face dropped and he swerved quite badly over (which was a bit unnessary) as I passed him he had 3 (yes 3 ! ) small kids in the back he come next to me at the lights and apologises to which I say ’ you should apologise to you wife when you have to explain to her you’ve managed to kill her 3 small children’ ! KnobJockey . I’m mad Grrrrr

I see cage drivers talking and texting on mobile phones while driving (badly) every day on the commute. Never any police riding the same route to observe them.

Without intending to, I usually take away perfect video footage of the driving, the number plate, location, date, time, phone in hand and face of the offending driver.

Can I send the footage to the police for follow up? If so please advise how and where.

I don’t want to or relish doing this but I believe if word gets around that it’s that simple for offending drivers to be caught, then the number of offences will drop rapidly.