Man Down... Me!

hire bikes aren’t an awful idea, it’s the hire companies abusing the insurance system and people’s trust that’s awful.

Certainly sounds like I should try and give it back as soon as possible, just in case. Unfortunately I’m leaving London tomorrow evening until next Tuesday… which is about another £500 of hire bike!

Got this response via email -

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the credit hire bike that has been provided to you. I can confirm that you will not be charged directly for the hire daily rate. The charges will be sent over to the Third Party’s Insurance company who were at fault for the accident. We will hire you a bike and present the invoice for the hire to the at fault insurance company. For us to obtain payment the documents have to be in your name as legally the hire is your responsibility. If everything you have told us about the incident is correct, we are confident that we will make a full recovery of our outlay from the at fault insurance company.

I’ve then called the guy this morning and he’s reassured me they’re confident they will win which is why they offered me the bike. Worse case scenario, he tells me it would be covered in my policy and I would still just be paying my excess.

Few. Got to be honest, the thought of an unnecessary bill that big meant I didn’t sleep so well last night.

Yes and we do end up paying.

OK the exorbitant hire cost will almost certainly be paid (initially) by an insurance company.

But the insurance company will put premiums up to recoup the cost.

So indirectly, AndyCr15, you (and all of us) will pay the cost.

No, No No! You will not get charged only if you win 100% which they say they are “confident” will happen. They didnt say “will happen” but “confident”. Run away!!!

But then lower down he says they’re covered by Andy’s own insurance if for some reason the claim falls through

^^^ what he says. give it back NOW!!!

I can’t, I’m off up to Scotland in a few hours, until Tuesday. As I said though, the guy I’ve been dealing with has told me on the phone this morning, even if the cost comes back, they will cover it.

Unless you get that in writing it’s not worth the paper it’s not written on.

I now have an email saying they will pay charges if they can’t recover from the third party.

I will probably look to give it back sooner rather than later still. Especially if I can find a well priced Motocross bike :slight_smile:

You’ll have to fight Sam for it if its a good price…

Glad to hear you’re ok

This is still not resolved, but my car insurance is due in the next month. Do I need to declare anything to them? Does a bike claim have to be declared to car insurers anyway?

That’s crap, it’s taking ages :frowning:

I’m not 100% sure but I thought insurance companies want to know any claims/convictions regardless of which class of vehicle they belonged to? Also, a claim is always recorded as fault until it’s fully settled, which means you will be penalised for it, but refunded once it’s all over and done with.

Car and bike claims are separate as far as I’m aware, but I would mention it just incase.

Depends on the company/underwriter. My car insurer isn’t interested, others on here have had problems.

When I renewed mine car insurance after my bike accident, lite nor answer the questions that they ask.
Usually they ask if you have had an accident in the car, you are not lying when you say no.

I always count insurance as separate to both vehicles even though it is one licence.

Hope this makes sense

Same here… Just took out a policy with Admiral and they only needed to know them but didn’t count them. Which made sense as to why the price was lower than the ones that did.

Still had to pay through the roof but I was expecting a rape on a Saturday morning

Glad to hear your okay!

All this insurance and claim business seems like a jungle!

Had the full repair quote, it’s £1,900 plus £900 for recovery and storage, which wont be charged if the same garage does the repair. The third party have been and authorised the repair, I asked if this means they have accepted responsibility and was told “they will authorise without prejudice”. I assume that means they agree the repair fee is correct and fair, they will still then argue about who should pay it?

I really want my bike back now, this NC700 is so dull to ride :frowning: I’ve only just done 100 miles on it now as I don’t really want to ride it where possible.