Man Down... Me!

Will that need to be replaced? It all seems secure enough?

if it were me I would want the bike put back how it was before the spill and it wasn’t like that before hand was it?

you HAVE to get it replaced aswell :smiley: i think of it this way every time you think"mweh its not too noticable" after something happens and then you look at the bike and all the fairings are scratched and the bike looks very poorly maintained :slight_smile:

Had the same problem when Mrs.B got hit, told insurance then other driver payed cash and when renewal came round they tried stinging me for it, had a right fight with them so I would wait a bit

That’s a tricky one for you. I’m sure most policies have something in them that ALL accidents need to be reported to the insurer, regardless of the cause or outcome. Have a quick check through yours and that may help you decide on what you want to do.

Personally, I’d report it and risk the arguments over premiums come renewal time. What would happen say, if in three months time you realise that you’ve actually sustained an injury that will need on going treatment or that there’s more damage to your bike than you realised? Or, you get a nasty brown eveloped letter telling you you’re being sued for his whiplash injury? With nothing to back up your side of events, you’d be fubar’d. As nice and genuine as he seems, I’d be slightly suspicious of anyone not wanting to go through the legal channels, even though settling with cash will be easier and far less hassle.

If you do decide to take up his offer, then get your bike looked over by your mechanic and get a proper estimate. There may be something that you’ve missed that they’ll pick up on.

And what I should’ve said first?: I’m glad that you’re ok!

You want the bike everything back as it was pre-collision

Scratches and scuffs, no matter how slight, detract from the re-sale values, get the cosmetic damage repaired/replaced too.

Looks like we’re going the insurance route. He called this morning and said he’d just been on the phone to his insurers and I should now do the same, which I’ve done.

Mate just seen this at least your ok.

You have 6 months to report an accident. Mine I got hit on a Friday and did nothing until the Monday (my choice), there is absolutely nothing wrong with waiting a day or 2 and will not affect anything…

After a sit down things are usually a little clearer as well, and you can look at thing a little more logically.

Glad you’re ok Andy. I’d be slightly dubious as to why he told you to hold off contacting your insurers then decided he would first, unless he wanted to settle and you pay for repairs then discovered he wouldn’t be able to afford it.
Anyway hope things all go well, let us know the outcome. How’s your gear, any damage?

Hmmm if personal Injury involved iirc police have to be Informed within 24hrs

I think you’re right… http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Collision-forms-and-reports/1400005513174/1400005513174

It claims s. 170 of the Road Traffic Act requires you to report an accident involving personal injury, but s. 170 clearly does not require you to report such an accident, unless there is a failure to exchange details.

Very odd.

s, 170

(1) This section applies in a case where, owing to the presence of a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place, an accident occurs by which—

(a)personal injury is caused to a person other than the driver of that mechanically propelled vehicle, or

(b)damage is caused—

(i)to a vehicle other than that mechanically propelled vehicle or a trailer drawn by that mechanically propelled vehicle, or

(ii)to an animal other than an animal in or on that mechanically propelled vehicle or a trailer drawn by that mechanically propelled vehicle, or

(iii)to any other property constructed on, fixed to, growing in or otherwise forming part of the land on which the road or place in question is situated or land adjacent to such land.

(2)The driver of the mechanically propelled vehicle must stop and, if required to do so by any person having reasonable grounds for so requiring, give his name and address and also the name and address of the owner and the identification marks of the vehicle.

(3)If for any reason the driver of the mechanically propelled vehicle does not give his name and address under subsection (2) above, he must report the accident.

(4)A person who fails to comply with subsection (2) or (3) above is guilty of an offence.

(5)If, in a case where this section applies by virtue of subsection (1)(a) above, the driver of a motor vehicle does not at the time of the accident produce such a certificate of insurance or security, or other evidence, as is mentioned in section 165(2)(a) of this Act—

(a)to a constable, or

(b)to some person who, having reasonable grounds for so doing, has required him to produce it, the driver must report the accident and produce such a certificate or other evidence.

This subsection does not apply to the driver of an invalid carriage.

(6)To comply with a duty under this section to report an accident or to produce such a certificate of insurance or security, or other evidence, as is mentioned in section 165(2)(a) of this Act, the driver—

(a)must do so at a police station or to a constable, and

(b)must do so as soon as is reasonably practicable and, in any case, within twenty-four hours of the occurrence of the accident.

(7)A person who fails to comply with a duty under subsection (5) above is guilty of an offence, but he shall not be convicted by reason only of a failure to produce a certificate or other evidence if, within seven days after the occurrence of the accident, the certificate or other evidence is produced at a police station that was specified by him at the time when the accident was reported.

(8)In this section “animal” means horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog.

Glad you’re OK Andy. Impacts will always leave you a little in shock, and a bit shaky.

How you handle the insurance and what you fix/replace will be down to you. The one area that I would suggest you never compromise on is your helmet. If it has damage on the exterior replace it.

As for keeping it out of insurance, that is your decision. The last incident that I was in the third party want to keep it out of insurance, but it went that way because the damage to their car was so severe that it was written off. The bike was fine.

As for reporting it the police, my experience is that unless and ambulance is called they tend not to be interested.

He sounds like a nice guy, you have his details and know where he works.

Speak to him, see if he’s prepared to pay for the damage. If he tries to be elusive or refuses, report to insurance. Just explain to them the situation and if they question why you didn’t call just tell them you had too much going on and no time until now.

This morning the hire bike was dropped off…

I was a little worried when I saw the price of £100 a day, as I don’t really need it, but the driver suggested it was a good indicator that the insurance company had sent it to me, it often means the other party may already have conceded. Obviously I have no idea how true that is…

nope, that’s BS. the £100 will come out of your pocket if you lose for sure.

Surely it will come from my insurance if I lose…

No, you will receive a bill for it usually.

Go over your insurance contract again, unless there’s something which specifically stipulates they will take the hit for the hire bike costs if you lose then you are personally liable.

as already said, I would be very careful, ring your insurance and ask the question, if they say they will cover the cost ask for it in writing (or at least an email with a name of the person who sent it)

I had a Courtesy bike a few years ago and although I was 100% non-fault (got hit by a car pulling out on me without looking) the insurance company said to me that if the claim went against me I would be liable for the cost of the bike hire (luckily I got full pay-out so wasn’t an issue)

Hire bikes are an awful idea, don’t do it!