learner legal rideout

Hmmm…so reading posts on who is coming it looks like 10 big bikes, one mid sized and 5 little ones…

Looking a bit overkill perhaps…

I have lost count. I know Jackie and I plan to be along, that is one 125 and another X9 250. It might be worth posting this in the scooter area of the forum, I know I don’t often read the rideouts and meets for example.

Will do in due course, considered it earlier today, but decided to wait a tad. All bikes should be able to do 60mph though for this ride, which will rule out less than 100cc machines I’m afraid. Hopefully it’ll give feedback to everyone about their riding, from the leader to the tail-gunner! Undertaken in that spirit, as amateurs, we can all gain something.

I’ve offered my services as sit-on’t-corner-person if needs be. If peeps think it’s overkill, am happy to pop along and buy coffees, then go for a bimble on my tod Mebbe we should just play it by ear, based on the number of 125s going.

Noooooo…you have to come Keti

60MPH on a 125 Marauder Down a mineshaft maybe

I’ve ridden Debz bike and that’s not gonna be an option, let alone being a very new rider. Think we’ll give this one a miss till she’s done some more miles

Where does the 60mph requirment come from? I can see that we wouldn’t want to be limited to the speed of a restricted moped, but previous posts have made the point that the whole point of this ride is that riders will not be under pressure to ride faster than their confidence or machine allows. My machine satisfies your requirment, but only just in its unmodified form. Others who ride similar machines but have not gone to the effort and expense of fitting a sports screen may be less confident of keeping up.

Yessum! I’ll be there!

I’m not too sure about the 60mph thingamie either?

Glad you will be along - and I must get back to you about your invitation.

You must!

I disagree with the 60mph suggestion. THIS IS MEANT TO BE FOR L-PLATE RIDERS!!!

Learner riders ride smaller bikes, and even if the machines are capable of that speed in short bursts, the riders might not be happy pushing the machines to the limits, AS THEY’RE STILL LEARNERS!!! And new riders on big bikes may well be very happy pootling at 30, particularly when riding through villages on smaller roads with a 30mph limit. Not everyone’s a speed freak, ya know!

So anyone who wants to come along, however low their comfortable top speed, come along. Any bigger bike riders who don’t want to go slowly have a very simple option – go on a different rideout. There’s precious little arranged for little bikes so the big bikes really have to take a back seat on this one.

So is this going to be a gentle ride to cater for the 125’s, learners and and anyone below 125cc or a 60mph thrashing of the little machines ??? Its getting a bit confusing,

I personally would rather a GENTLE ride down to the coast rather than an assesment on my riding, (this time anyway )

Debz…you gotta come…i will……if you dont

So what are we going for then?

My suggestion is as follows:

Final meeting place, Box Hill, Saturday 21st April, 11am to allow people to get from other parts of town - how does that grab you?

JT, you may want to meet others from the west side somewhere close to you, Grimbusa where are you from? You might want to suggest a meeting place near you. If anyone’s from other bits of the world and wants to suggest a meeting place, feel free.

Leave Box at 11.15 prompt to trot down to Brighton (route to be decided but mainly little roads, not lots of dual-carriageways that demand higher speeds for long periods) getting to Madeira Drive (or even Brighton Marina which has several lovely eating places) in time for lunch. Whatever time that is will be decided by how we go, but even if we take a couple of hours it’ll still be lunchtime when we get there. A bit of a time for a paddle and a bite to eat, then trotting off home by the same or similar route. Should all be nicely in daylight too.

So is that a plan?

Oh dear - here we go, lol.

This is a ride for learners, regardless of speed of machine (as long as it has an engine ) I think if Jim at the fron sticks to the speed limits all will be ok. The slower riders will not have to worry about going any particular speed as those of us on bigger bikes will be marking the corenr until everybody has past us. There is no pressure to be the next Valentino or anybody esle on this ride - that’s the whole point.

Debz - you must come. That’s an order

I will put it in the scooter forums.

Grim, wanna lead us from the Ace to Box at say 10am? I’ll stay at the back.

Grim in front from the Ace, (Father Goose), and Shewoolf you get to stare at my ass, (payback from our first trip to Fox’s )

Fair play!!! That was my 1st time on the roads without an instructor - I must have been a nightmare for you and Ang, lol

Thanks though - it was a great help.

Fair play!!! That was my 1st time on the roads without an instructor - I must have been a nightmare for you and Ang, lol

Thanks though - it was a great help.

Agreed with the timings, sounds good to me, probably do the ace to hill with you guys as well.

Also this ride will be as slow as required, here to help the learners, not scratch. There might be an overflow of big bikes, but maybe this will be trimmed if people start to realise the focus of the rideout?

Oh yeah and Debz - you have to come

If we tell Debz Elvis will be in Brighton i am sure she will go…