KTM 690 Engine Guard

Oh okay, ta, I thought that might be the case. I contacted them and they said they thought like the 790 it would fit. I was doughtful. I also noticed that this is for doing work on the bike really and it takes some time to fit to the bike, I need something that can quickly lift the bike up and put it back down as quickly, i.e for normal storage.

The scissor stand I linked above might be worth a punt.

Is the stand you already own enough for what you need?
If so would a paddock stand allow you to lift the bike enough to get it on/off?

If the difference isnā€™t that much, could you not alter your existing stand to lower it?

By the looks of it, the lower part has 2 tubes sticking up & the upper part has 2 tubes which slide over them. If you cut/grind a bit off the top of the lower tubes, it would then drop lower.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a pretty good idea, cheers. Iā€™ll have a look.

Or put some wood under the tyres to raise the bike off the floor so the stand can easily slide under the bash plate.

3 Likes

So after two cutting discs (never using those again, sooooo messy!!) and a load of hacksawingā€¦ it didnā€™t work. I couldnā€™t cut enough out before the lifting arm got in the way and at the length I cut it to I could lift the bike up anyway, cutting that much off compromised the leverage you get on the arm. It ended up bending out of shape sideways when I stood on it.

Off to recycling it goes now.

oh dear,

8 Likes

LOL! True tho.

Jay, please donā€™t tell me thatā€™s your garage?!

Do you want to come round and tidy up mine? :laughing:

On a serious note, what type of flooring is that?

Hah, yes itā€™s the garage. Iā€™ve just had it refurbished. At the moment itā€™s a mess in @pricettaā€™s eyes (sheā€™s very tidy) pending me building some shelves and a workbench.

This is the floor. Itā€™s really nice but if youā€™re interested in it, I would very strongly recommend you hire professionals who lay that floor every day to do it. We had our normal builders lay it and they didnā€™t do a perfect job. Either that or the product is not as good as advertised, but I doubt that.

1 Like

Very nice. I was going to say concrete of some sort but then that shine threw me off. If I remeber correctly this is the stuff you can do really funky designs with? I thought I had seen it applied also in indoor home settings.

Regardless, very good tip for when I eventually get a garage. Beats the concrete/ tile look.

I wish I had room to empty my garage and resin the floor. Would be so much nicer than the bare concrete.

1 Like

You need to get rid of a few bikes for thatā€¦

If you ever do a clear out you might find a stand for @Jay that you are not usingā€¦ :joy:

Agree in a similar situation ā€¦

We had a clear-out before the renovation, that helped a bit. We then pretty much just moved the garage into our house for three months. It wasnā€™t great. I mean, I liked looking at KTM every morning whilst having breakfast, but all the gardening equipment was a bit of an eyesore.

The poor DRZ though, she had to live in the garden, covered. Poor thing. I did keep her topped up though by trickle-charging every now and then. Couldnā€™t let the new battery go to waste.

Sooooo eager to complete the workā€™s now. Off to B&Q this weekend for a shit load of wood for the custom shelves Iā€™ll (try and) make. Then comes the piĆØce de rĆ©sistance, the workbench Iā€™m looking forward to (and dreading in equal measures) making.

I think I speak for all of us when we say we need this build documented as well.

I did that this summer, lockdown project. I got fed up with the junk on the left, and the bench was sagging with damp.

Boarded the wall, got the welder out and made some proper storage.

Made the tool storage more accessible too

4 Likes

Glad i donā€™t have OCD ā€¦
Canā€™t even get the holder for the level Level
!!! :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Very good mate, looking good! I like the rack of boxes for different items, all labelled. Very organised :slight_smile:

A pin board to store tools is very high on my list of design features for the workbench.

Garage/ man cave, everyone should have one. In an age where many folk donā€™t work with their hands, spend all time off in front of the tv itā€™s encouraging to see a work space / storage area where you can actually do something.

I often wonder about all the new flats being built and how the occupants manage to have hobbies other than tv.

A few years ago I rebuilt my garage - was into cycling big time then so it suits that pursuitā€¦but I didnā€™t think forward enough and find the door is too small to get my motorcycle in!

1 Like