Kawasaki H2 - Does it fly?

Another thing to take into account is the way it will deliver the power. I see Alba’s argument that having that much power (coupled with the supercharger) is crazy, all that going to one wheel is only going to end one way, even if #MM93 cracked it open in 1st with all that power it would throw him off the back, but there will be so much electic wizardry going on that it will deliver that power in a way that is safe but mental!! could you imagine what an animal it would be if you took all the electric gizmos off

Are they not integrated into the wings?

not on the video of the unveiling at the bike show i just watched. they are purely aero spoilers with no hint of a mirror on them

no cat on the pipe either

I think what Alba’s saying, and to some extent I agree- Marketing a WSB race bike for the UK road is incongruous. If a newly qualified rider ( by this I mean limited experience) is able to purchase (and insure) one, its not the law its the manufacturer/retailers that have the power to affect consumer desire and provide accessability.

Personally, I cannot justify the top speed or the rate at which it’ll get there, of my road bike. but I fking love it. Do I need another 100BHP. NO. Do I want to test an H2R, Fk yeah!

That’s what I’m saying exactly. It’s well hard to control your speed on the roads with a bike like mine, give me one of those it becomes mission impossible :smiley:

production bikes getting faster and faster, while speed limits get lowered. That my friend is what I find hypocritical.

Thats the scary thing. I’ve been Finchingfield a nd Southend a couple of times and seen a little group of Asian lads on HP4’S, Panigale’s and proper tricked out R1’S, S100RR’s etc and none of them in proper PPE, a few of them even had the Obligitory Addidas Tracksuit Bottoms on. when they leave Finchingfield the whole village knows they are there, these Kids with Bundles of Dough can just jump on one of these rockets and what happens then??? the police/ambulance & fire brigade get there shovels out and clean up some bodies!!

If they have this kind of excess is available in the car world, why not with bikes?

The industry is on its knees and needs exciting new models to attract the fickle but rich.

There are enough utility motorcycles if that’s what you want.

There are even exciting bikes that are really good value. Think Yamaha MT07 or 09.

So now manufacturers are releasing machines aimed at the big spenders.

Win win win to to try to cater to all riders in my opinion.

It doesn’t look pretty, but that probably wasn’t high on the agenda.

It looks mean and nasty…Like an alleged 300 HP bike should IMO.

Good for the industry I reckon :slight_smile:

Cycle World have done really good piece on it.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/09/30/2015-kawasaki-ninja-h2r-supercharged-sportbike-unveiled-at-intermot-2014-motorcycle-show/

I knew someone would compare it to the car market. accessibility, thats the missing key.

to get a decent engine in a car you have to spend at least 70k. bikes, 10k. you do the math. :smiley:

I still don’t get it, the argument against.

these top of the range bikes with 200bhp, think panigales, HP4’s, this ninja, All of them are premium machines made to small numbers with the track in mind as a rich mans toy. All of them include some very new and very trick technology, new ABS, new TC, new engine maps that vary power delivery depending on what you are doing with the bike, all of which is being top fed by Moto GP and WSB and BSB, and then as it is refined and they think of cheap ways to mass manufacture, it finds its way on to the street bikes that we will end up being able to buy. The net result for us is machines with a much better useable range. Think of the new S1000r or the KTM 1290 superduke. engine map choices mean you can ride them with very limited TC, just you and the beast of a bike, or if the rain starts and your semi slicks start getting a bit dicey you can stick it in rain mode and keep yourself shiny side up, you can take the latest R1200GS from a very fast 150bhp touring bike to a capable off road machine with 90 bhp and the TC off to allow some wheel slip. not possible if this technology wasn’t being produced and tested on these limited edition niche machines.

Either way, you wont see many of these on the street, but they are serving a very valuable purpose to us all, in project and technology development.

Also, lets not forget the main purpose of these is as a marketing tool, few will actually ever be ridden much but the marketing hype will be huge and it is all there to help sell the mass manufactured bikes in the range. the BMW HP4 is a beautiful exercise in engineering and a stunning bike, but its primary purpose is to help shift S1000RR’s.

one more thing, if bell ends with no brains want to wrap themselves around the trees of Essex, they will do it on gxsr’s and R1’s just as well as they will on HP4’s and panigales. NEVER let those few idiots spoil it for the rest of us, don’t get all nanny state and suggest we should be protected from these bikes as they will only end up causing us harm!!! I will ride one if I choose to, and it remains my choice, not the governments, and long may it stay that way.!!!

looks like you have to wait another 4 weeks to see the road going version at the milan show.wonder how much they will detune it from 295 bhp.

if the road version has wings sticking out as far as that imagine the size of the crash bungs you’d need…:slight_smile:

i’m just arguing against the government policies which are towards speed=kills, you understand that right?

basically i totally agree with you, what i dont like is the attitude of the common masses and the governments towards speed limits. we all know speed doesnt kill, same as guns dont kill, people do.

that is what i find totally out of order. thats all.

i’m all pro fast engines, you should know that by now. :smiley:

the only thing i really could argue with you about is the usability of these vehicles on the road. i’ve only met a handful of people who actually do use their full bike range when riding. most cant even take them to top speed on a straight line.

I too don’t understand why you’re against this kind of thing, because as KTM D outlined above, the technology trickles down to more affordable machinery but the manufacturers have to make money on it first too drive down the cost to make it an option on lower cost models.

So you don’t want any new technology on motorcycles going forward?

ABS originally was only available on premium models remember.

The 1969 Honda CB750 paved the way for inline 4 engine performance motorcycles (including that R6 in your avatar) and was not the cheapest on release.

If you want a more accessible motorcycle for sub 10k, there are more than enough available, like those two Yamaha’s I mentioned previously.

Sorry I missed this post

The release of faster and more powerful vehicles doesn’t shape governments crusade on reducing speed.

If it did they would ban any performance beyond that used to achieve the speed limit and they would (probably will in future) restrict vehicles to comply with the speed limit that it is travelling in.

But like the war on smokers and drinkers (I’m not a smoker or heavy drinker but not stupid enough to be blind to the truth), an outright ban would be bad for business (tax revenues) on those that will pay for fags, booze and expensive vehicles (pretty much) whatever the cost.

Plus ‘Speed Kills…but there is more to it than that’ doesn’t sound as good to the moronic general public that have been brainwashed into believing that speed is a heinous crime, rather than an attribute that if used in the wrong conditions can be a factor in road accidents.

i’m just pointing out the fact that the local forces like to emphasize that speeding is a terrible crime against the release of the fastest production bike which would ideally never been used to its full potential on the road. i’m not against the technology and the innovations, its an ugly design in my opinion but i’m sure loads of people would love it and all the electronic trickery that comes with it. it was the declared bhp that made me have this thought.

as i said, i’m the last person to advocate against ‘progressive riding’ or fast engines, quite the opposite in fact. i was just considering how the two ends (speed limits and fast machines) are drifting further and further apart from each other. it fascinates me. they keep pushing news almost every day about lowering the speed limits and making our roads ‘safe’ (how do I hate this word) and something like this goes on the market, it just looks nonsensical.

180 or 200bhp is plenty and you can rarely use it on the road but we/I still want MORE! :smiley:

I think we’re all jaded enough to know that the governments bull about speed killing etc is just a tool to justify extracting money from the motorists, hence the abundance of speed cameras on busy bigger roads and the distinct lack of them around schools and quieter roads.

The bike manufacturers know this too so they’ll keep churning out big powerful bikes :smiley: As for handing the bike over to someone who’s just going to abuse it and wipe themselves out, well they can do that on anything, just a bit faster on something with 200+bhp! :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t wait to see one of these in action and pushed to it’s limits!

Ahhhhhh, I got to say Alba, I was getting a bit confused, and concerned for you, it didn’t sound like you at all!!! :D:D

sadly the speed limits are set to fit the lowest common denominator, and average driver skill level, and the way things are heading they are just going to keep descending. probably until the time that drivers with any skill at all just start ignoring them. the attack of the 50’s through most of the southern counties is typical of this, nonsensical nannying approach. a few myopic miscreants can’t observe properly and all of a sudden its blanket 50 time.

to adopt a well used LB phrase, ‘it boils my piss!!’ :crazy::angry:

[quote]
KTM D (01/10/2014)

I don’t think it’s got anything to do with driver skill, and everything to do with being a policy change that’s easy to sell and hard to argue with. It’s like the Internet filter - it doesn’t really help anyone, but to point that out is to be categorised with the terrorists and the paedophiles.

I think the 20 zones all over London mostly serve to have more people find themselves speeding with no consequence, I can’t see much reason to feel that they make anything safer for anybody. But policy generally is favouring human-powered transport over motorised transport (and, in London, that’s hard to argue with) so you can sort-of see why it would make sense to try to bring everyone down to cyclist-speed…

+1 KTMD

I was out exploring on Saturday, 50mph marked roads- broad carriageways, well maintained, clear visibility for 500m+ then turned into narrow, close bordered gravel lanes indicated National speed limit applies. Does fear of cameras and attached consequences make me a safer road user?