homeless coffee

When I first passed my bike test I picked up my Bros from my mechanic just off Gt Eastern St.
It didn’t have any petrol so i rode it round to the garage on Shoreditch High St. As I filled it the homeless fella whose patch it was came over to chat to me - I’d often given him drinks before - and was talking about how he used to ride before he lost his home etc. He said to me ‘Whatever you do always check the sidestand’s up’.

I went in, paid for the fuel and bought him a tea. As i pulled away I banked left outta the garage and sure enough I’d left the sidestand down. Fella had hysterics and gave me the biggest smile!

woundered where you were going with this conversatoin but really funny post… at least he did not drop the tea in his fit of laughter I guess.

I used to talk to homeless people a lot in Edinburgh and once got chatting to a homeless old man on the Bridges when I was walking home drunk. I really felt for him because he had been conned by a woman who came into his life after he was widowed and she ended up stealing all his stuff just as he had fallen in love with her. I felt so sorry for him that I wanted to take him home. I had a spare room and felt really guilty about what I had but could just imagine what people would say if things went badly. (ie “what a fecking stupid girl! what was she thinking?!”). I ended up walking home, making him a massive packed lunch and bringing him some old fleeces, a pillow, duvet and various other random things in a holdall.
It was awful though because apparently he was sitting on a patch belonging to a particularly dodgy homeless guy (with drug rotten teeth and fancy clean white trainers) and that guy felt that my bag of stuff should therefore go to him. I was hammered so decided to make a fuss and the old guy got to walk away with the stuff. I never saw him again but hopefully the scum didnt get him later that night. I cant imagine how awful it must be to be homeless. I do take having somewhere to live for granted.

Speaking of taking things for granted, 20 years ago I was suddenly made homeless, but luckily had enough money to buy a very small caravan with a work mate - we paid £75 each for it and parked up in a field on a farm in New Addington. My mate disappeared after a few weeks but I stayed through the winter, spending a total of 5 months in that field. I had a very low-paid job and I had a car back then, and my cat loved it on the farm. But when I moved out into a shared house in the spring, I relished the fact that I had RUNNING WATER, ELECTRICITY AND A BATH. I think we all take these things for granted and my experience was a reminder of how basic necessities are appreciated. You only appreciate stuff once it’s gone. How much hungrier do you feel if you only have 10p in your pocket at lunchtime?

Just seen this, PM sent :wink:

Dont mean to bump this one up , but just to say the outfit i work with are doing a volunteer induction in February if anyones interested !

I can post the exact date when it’s known and you can just come along and have a listen !

Its on the mod radar now.

Me and the girlfriend help a guy outside the local Tescos in Southend.

Normally, buy him a roll, biscuits and some juice.

RESPECT is due…i admire people liek you!

Had the first LB volunteer out on the van last night , think he’s still knackered :smiley:

Nice one Karl for the effort mate , hope to see you again !

Sorry, i didnt see this, wouldnt mind going to the induction in Feb, or even on one of the runs before that. If id known i wouldve made it last night to? Where did you meet? Where did u leave ur bikes? What time can we expect to get back home? (have to be up early for work). :slight_smile:

blade, I have put my response in the following link as I would like as many people to read my experience as possible…http://londonbikers.com/forums/Topic496220-58-1.aspxCheers mate

Any news on the volunteer induction date in Feb yet?

Hey rocker ,

there is a meeting tomorrow so will find out ( as long as I get my bike back from HM in time !! )

If anyone is still watching this post , the next induction is on the 17th February at 1800.

PM me if you interested and will let you know what to do !

Over the last two nights I’ve been watching a programme on BBC1 called Famous, Rich and Homeless.

If you didn’t see it, it’s a fly on the wall following five rich and famous people being stripped of everything they own and having to live rough in London.

Episode 1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lfhhx

Episode 2 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lfhv2

It’s really hard hitting and quite disturbing in places. After seeing this I’m up for helping. PM sent:)

I watched that program Chunks, and it made me cry a few times. A very interesting insight into the homeless world. Drug and drink addiction insights too. It made me sad :crying: but I’m very glad I watched it.

“…i don’t want that F***ing crap mate…”

What was said to me by a beggar/homeless guy sitting outside Pret on London Bridge earlier this week after i offered to buy him lunch and a coffee

I watched a little bit of this programme, very sad indeed that some people live like this!! :frowning:

That was decent of you Chenster. :slight_smile:

Don’t let that guys response change you.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Alex and I popped in to see Westie in his shop a few Saturday’s ago and we got ice creams on the way out. We also gave one to a homeless guy outside but he didn’t seem to fussed either way but still took it.