homeless coffee

I wouldnt mind going and helping out tbh, but i would want some others around me to? I would be well green going into something like that and although i can sympathise with the problem, i dont want to have the “pee” taken either? In that i mean, i get some ahole hooking up on me to see how much money they can take, cos im stoopid enough to believe their “story” ? I would need someone whos got a bit more savvy on all this to be with me? (plus tbh honest ive just got visions of me standing there trying to hand out food etc and all these people,dressed in the same sort of clothing ie hanging off them and dirty etc, just coming at me like that Michael Jackson video “thriller” …:w00t:

I’d be up for helping too, tell us more :slight_smile:

Top posting WWF!:cool:

Perhaps we could get a few LB’ers to help out?

I’d definately be up for helping out so if there is anything I can do, give me a shout on here! :slight_smile:

What started my homeless camp. is that I was watching a program a month or 2 back. they took 3-4 wealthy kids around 18yrs old(ish) and asked them to live rough for a few days (3 I think it was).

one of them really nice bloke properly tried and the bit that got me was he was sitting on the walkway over the thames by charing cross rail bridge and was asking people for money.

loads of people walked passed one bloke called him a bum. another threw 20p at him and he had to scrounge for it, and his comment of “these people know nothing, I minted and look at the walk past” (or similar) really stood out to me.

all these people walk past not helping, since then I have never just walked past, but I’m defo now going to try and do more to help the ones that want help.

[quote]
makman (07/01/2009)

I work in a charity that deal with homeless people in central London. Best thing is the hot cup of coffee and some food. if they reject these it is normally because they want money for drugs/smokes/alcohol.Hello mate,Do you work for Thames Reach by any chance? I work for them as a Support Worker in Victoria, and we deal mainly with those that have mental health needs, many of which have been street homeless in the past but now have independant accomodation. Respect to all people who give to others in any way they can.Safe riding,Peter.

I always do that – ever since I lived in the States in my teens, when I’d always buy some extra chips and coffee for the homeless chaps in Times Square at the McD’s before going out on a Saturday night.

Remember that if you are ever down and out, these will be the people you’ll be skivving rollies from! You never know… happens faster than you think. Also I believe in karma :wink:

[quote]
chopper667 (08/01/2009)

I work at Connection at St Martin’s.

Good on ya mate!

I think its generated enough interest so can someone organise or try to organise something and let us know? We could put names down and i would deffo go if others came too? Prob could even give them clothes too, got enough that i chuck out so they could have them?

Even if i have to put it all in the car, its not a problem, just need to know facts or if im barking up the wrong tree? :slight_smile:

I have actually been in contact with a homeless charity that has just started up, so I will contact them now and see what we can do etc etc…

so from this moment on we shall be starting the

LB HOMELESS HELP foundation

LBHHF

Good o !!! nice one

Totally agree that giving food/clothing/volunteering etc is the key. Giving them money is unwise, I would have thought, as it might encourage junkies/alcoholics to harrass people, and also it would feed their habits.

I am very interested in the possibility of volunteering so will be watching developments on this thread with interest.

Top effort for those who want to chip in.

I’ll explain in what I do and we can go from there.

I volunteer for an outfit called the Simon Community : http://www.simoncommunity.org.uk/

They run a house up in Kentish town which people can come and use during the day like a drop in centre where they can seek advice on housing / legal issues , have a wash , clean their kit , have a mean and generally get some social outlet outside the normal street enviroment.

Wednesdays and Thursdays we do a " soup run " starting from Kentish town , hitting 4 know spots and back to the house for 10:30 ish. Same on Thursdays.

Also do a early morniong " tea run " from 6am till 9am.

Saturdays and Sundays also a set up in the grounds of a church up the west end to provide a hot meal and spend a few hours with the papers , chess boards etc as a sort of social type of set up.

Anyone fancies getting involved , let me know.

I always take my bike and leave it outside the house , the actually runs are done in a transit we own.

All the food etc is paid for / donated so I always go out with nothing in my pockets and up till now have never actually been asked for any cold hard.

Im always suprised by the people you end up chatting to , really gets you thinking that a wrong turn he or there and its a real possibility !

Thames Reach runs a street rescue service for homeless - details are here:

http://pulse.thamesreach.org.uk/teams-and-schemes/frontline-services/london-street-rescue/

Was that on C4 ? they have been asking us to get involved with something like that for ages but they keep saying no as it’s not very fair.

Bit like the thikng on ITV the other day with the guy who’s trying to live for free and be a " freeganist "

cannot remember what channel it was on, I only came in and saw like the last 15-20 mins, but was enough for me to realise the error of my ways.

was with that girl who got £20 from fern whats her name, and she slept in the youth hostel for the night! her-I really disliked her because she could not see the bigger picture at all!

Forgot to say there is normally 6 or 7 people on the van, male and female , so you need never feel like your doing it alone !

Hello, Centrepoint is another charity set up to help homeless youngsters www.centrepoint.org.uk. Amongst other things they do a sponsored sleep-out every year in central London. Maybe a few of us could do the next one they have. Cheers All.

I’m with Blade on this one - is there anyone in the LB ‘management’ who can organise something, perhaps where LB volunteers help different charities at different times as there is obviously a fair few about?

I live a long way out of London and would be well up for riding in to do something like this but, after 1.5 hours ride I wouldn’t be happy if, through lack of organisation, I was not able to assist.