Gsxr 750 high mileage buy or not

Hi all just need some advice.
I’ve seen a gsxr 750 on a 2005 plate.
It’s got 66000 miles.
Rough history apart from owners words.
Just failed mot for front warped disc and binding callipers.
Easy fix but the high mileage is putting me off.
Paint work is slightly scruffy but just the way I like it.
Guy is just using his car now and bike has been sitting around in the open for a year.

So is it worth it or will the engine blow up any time, am not sure on the life of a motorcycle engine and on how much they can do before they pop and what to look out for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I know nothing about mechanics so I wouldn’t buy it. But are you quite savvy when it comes to fixing things?

I think you have to accept that it will be difficult to sell on later but if you are getting it for a good price, maybe that doesn’t matter to you.

Am pretty good at repairing things and not really afraid to get my hands dirty.

The only thing I’ve never worked on is engines, fixed and repaired a few cat c cars in the past. Hence why am a bit wary of the engine.

Not fussed at the resale value at all to be honest.

I wouldn’t but it all depends if it’s the deal of the century and you have the skills to get it working as things break with time

Life of the engine will inevitably depend on how well it’s been looked after. Without at least some history (on paper), it could be a ticking time bomb. If it has been looked after, it could go on and do loads more miles.

Personally I wouldn’t touch it,although you haven’t told us the price…plus they bought a new model out on the 06 plates much better looking

His looking for less than £2k. How less not sure.

The engine will do 120k miles if it’s had regular servicing
It wouldn’t bother me about the milage to much if the price was right
2k sounds a lot of money considering your going to need to put sone money in to it anyway
Get an average price for that bike then knock of the value of bits you need to put it back on the road
My K7 1000 has more mileage than that and its goes up by 700miles a week
In the two years I’ve had it
It has never broken down in its standard setup the quickshifter failed but that’s aftermarket

Spend more money and get a bike that’s got less mileage. If you purchase this be prepared to dump a new engine in or sell it non working…

Utter bollox
A gsxr lump will clock up some serious mileage

Can, not will. Big difference.

Fair point

All depend on price…

A bike can have high mileage and still be tip top.

My K9 1000 has 70,000 miles on it, I’ve had it from new and looked after it. I have people dying for me to sell it to them but this baby ain’t going anywhere.
If you have doubts then don’t buy it. We’ve had lots of gixers and only one has ever had heart surgery lol it mashed one valve but still good to use now.

They are solid bikes.

2k is way too much, for the things you need to fix and for the mileage

I wouldn’t touch it if he can’t maintain the brakes chances are he hasn’t maintained anything else.

What TDJ said, if hes not fussed to tart the bike up for selling and make a few quid and easier, then whats he like at changing the oil.

If you can beat him down to a ridiculously low price, with a tale of how its going to need new chain/sprockets/bearings -head/wheels/swing arm/pivots, discs/pads, fluids blah blah blah and get it for very cheap it might be worth a gamble. 

But even then do you have the time/space to deal with that?

My K6 750 has 32k, on the clock, regular oil changes, keeping up with maintenance and she rides like a dream. Will never sell it. I hope to see 100k on this girl!

2K seems too much for what needs doing, and the history it has. Maybe go view it and see what you think?

Ok thank you guys for your inputs.
I’ve checked the mot history and the guy has done around 10k every year so that’s a good explanation of the high mileage.
But there was a lot of failures over the years like bearings and loose chains, tyre worn to legal limit, but these are things which I would have looked at before taking it for MOT.
So am assuming this guy just rode it and never had any mechanical experience and just fixed it only when broken.

So what is the cheap enough number for this bike?

Ok thank you guys for your inputs. I've checked the mot history and the guy has done around 10k every year so that's a good explanation of the high mileage. But there was a lot of failures over the years like bearings and loose chains, tyre worn to legal limit, but these are things which I would have looked at before taking it for MOT. So am assuming this guy just rode it and never had any mechanical experience and just fixed it only when broken.

So what is the cheap enough number for this bike?

h-magic
if someone takes a bike to for an MOT with the tyre just on the legal side & with failed bearings

you should walk away.

a bike can do high mileage if serviced properly

this one clearly isn’t