Greyhounds

Just to chime in, not all little dogs are horrid! I know a lot are, but we’ve got a jack russell/chi cross who lives in a flat with us and he’s pretty good. Surprised me with how trainable he is, had him almost a yr and he’s got a fair repertoire of silly tricks like shaking hands and pretending to be a meerkat now… :slight_smile:

I’ve been told to only leave them for 3-5 hours max. The homechecker did say on the phone that she’s left hers for the whole day (12hrs) on a couple of occasions when she’s had no choice, but it’s not something that you should do regularly with any dog.

The only reason we finally decided we could have one is because I now work freelance from home, so am around all the time.

Oh, and fyi I used to have a pet ferret called Sookie! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t like to leave any dog for that length of time on a regular basis, I know people do I just dont think it is fair, if nothing else how long can you go without a wee!?

Dogs are pack animals and are much happier in a group, whether that is you or another dog. Friends who work very long hours use a dog walking/day care service so their dogs are not alone for more than 3 to 4 hours a day. A dog who is bored will make his own entertainment, often by chewing furniture or nice tasty shoes, somehow never the cheap ones!

Greys are really not used to being left, in kennels they are around people from early morning to late afternoon or late at night if they are racing. They are usually in male/female pairs in racing kennels so are never alone.

At the end of the day, who are you doing it for? Yes you would like a dog, and possibly you are taking one from a lousy environment into a better one but does the dog see it that way?

I agree with both of you. It’s not fair to leave the dog alone for that long, and if i ever get one, i will ensure to have a dog walker in the middle of the day.

as a dog rescuer i can give the benifit of my experience here.

the ideal situation would be to have someone there during the day but thats not practical we all know that! but leaving them for upto 4 hours should be fine.

Anymore than 4 - 5 hours and the dog will have a number of issues to deal with

1. it will need to hold itself causing some discomfort and distress

2. the dog can develope seperation anxiety

3. lack of stimultation sets in and the dog may become distructive

since the domestication of dogs they have come to rely on human contact, taking that comtact from a new dog will likely cause some regression then over crouding of human contact can cause the dog to react in undesired ways towards strangers and possibly you.

its best to choose a dog that suits your lifestyle, if you take frequent walks then either a very small or very large breeds will not be suitable, dogs like labradors, staffies, collies etc are always good walkers and love the mental/physical stimulation.

if you cant walk a dog much then toy dogs or vey large breeds like mastiffs and american bulls are a good choice.

if you have had your home check the rescue centre will have an idea of the ideal dog for your lifestyle

if you need a dog walker there are loads about and will charge from £8 - £15 per day to come in and walk the dog for an hour.

I’m pleased to say that I’ve not had to live in a flat since I was a student but I can understand the flat/dog situation being a bit iffy.

My last dog was a rescue Spaniel and I worked full time, sort of, some days from home.

During the spring/summer/autumn the dog spent his days in the garden with shelter and a basket available in a non-draughty corner of the garage. During the winter he’d refuse to go out, apart from his early morning walk, particularly if it was raining* and seemed quite happy to spend 10 hours a day sleeping, which is apparently what wolves do. Just once in a while, he’d use the cat litter tray as he had been trained to do, but that was a rare event.

But as a species they are social animals so it’s not quite fair to leave them day in day out.

(* Kept telling him he was a working gun dog breed but it made no difference, just didn’t do rain.)

Soooooo…
She’s home, has eaten well and is now fast asleep on her bed!!
She seems like a very calm girl and has taken everything in her stride so far
I said she’s black and white but she’s basically just black with a tiny patch of white on her chest.

More pics to follow!

Got tounge :smiley:

What a pretty girl! Lots of learning ahead for all of you.

Hey that was quick I thought Faith wasn’t coming to homecheck until today:D

Yeah, but we managed to run up there after the check and got there just before they closed for the day. We wanted to have as much of the weekend as possible to settle her in before my girlfriend’s back at work on Monday.

congratulations! she’s really pretty and she’s got a lovely smile. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys. I can’t believe how easily she’s settled in. No problems whatsoever so far :slight_smile: She met her first non-greyhound dog today and didn’t try to eat it, which is good to see :smiley:

That’s a very nice looking dog…! :slight_smile:

A couple more pics:

So, she likes crime novels eh? :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

It seems so, I can’t get her away from it! :stuck_out_tongue:

awwww what a lovely doggy, looks like she had indeed settled in very quickly. :slight_smile: She looks comfortable in her new home :smiley:

Lovely pictures, good to see her “roaching” in the last picture, so soon. She knows she has fallen on her paws!

Aww bless! She’s gorgeous, just want to cuddle her :smiley:

Thanks guys. She’s still doing well but I would really love to find somewhere enclosed to let her run around. She gets a bit unsure, nervous and excitable around other dogs when she’s on the lead and they want her to play, so I want somewhere for her to learn to play properly where she can’t run off too far.