Golding Barn - MX off-road day 8th July 2023

Feel free to join me on the 29th July if you want some company. Group of three of us from work going on that day.

Right, I finally emailed them and asked them to send the paperwork through, the email came back to me same day.

I’m now contemplating whether or not to change date. I had to book a holiday to fly out on the 9th and I am thinking that will hold me back; the last thing I need is to break something before flying out. My other half is also encouraging me to do so.

@The_Sleeper will let you know if I change and will name drop you for them to contact you first

However I am a bit wary about them handling this given how long paperwork has come to arrive.

Hi folks,

Unfortunately I’m now having to pull out of the 8th and rebooking for August - I just can’t take the risk of falling off and hurting myself a day before we go on a (long awaited due to passports) holiday.

@The_Sleeper I said to the lady you might still be interested - give her a call if you want to book. In the end I found that calling three or four times in quick succession, someone picked up.

Just for sharing info the lady on the phone was very apologetic about letters taking a long time, she had a bereavement and a wedding in the close family in the last two weeks and she felt really inundated. She’s working through all the letters and stuff.

Still feels like a bit of a family run business that hasn’t taken advantage of new tech to automate these things…

Switch the date and do the 29th July with me and folks from work? Mind you, one of them just broke their arm whilst arm wrestling!!!

Ah no can do, got kiddie birthday parties to do…

I should clarify, I’m organising my daughters’ party rather than turning up to random kids birthdays :rofl:

2 Likes

Is anyone going tomorrow now after all? :slight_smile:

Claire and I are going!

1 Like

Have fun tomorrow and sorry I had to duck out.

But with the flight on Sunday, packing is not even an idea at the moment. Wife has just finished a 70hr week and daughter tomorrow has two classes to go to…

My day is on the 12th Aug now

Cheers. Well, that turned out to be an incredible day. We both loved it. It started out super dry and dusty which was hard, then it rained at lunch time and proceed perfect track conditions for maximum hoonage. Absolutely knackering. Feeling a little sore this morning.

About to go install a new exhaust on the DRZ. Think there’s some more offroad events coming up in our calendar now :slight_smile:

Claire event said after our first session - “I think we need to make more room at home for another bike!” :crazy_face:

Me, having a load of fun on the 250 :slight_smile:

Lunch-time.

Maximum smiles!

Waiting and watching between sessions

Lining up to go out

The training circuit, where you start off, just to get used to the bikes and for the instructors to gauge how much support from them you will need.

1 Like

im pondering booking myself onto this
https://nora92.com/event/the-sweet-lamb-baja-series-2023-the-autumn-closer/

i did the first one last year, and it was good fun

1 Like

Looking forward to when I go end of the month!!

Damn I’m aching this morning!!

Great day out at Golding Barn yesterday, luckily it was dry enough to run after they had to call of Friday. First time off roading and having minimal time on the bike, it was a challenging day. My thoughts

• Amazing course with enough to challenge through the day/scare me a little!
  • It’s an experience day so don’t expect instruction outside of how to keep safe. Would have been good to add a little instruction though to help improve basic skills.
  • motocross boots are feckers to get used to, so little feel and ended up banging the gears and not using the rear brake much
  • Team running it were great and really supportive during the day. Some good banter!!
  • Bikes were awesome, 250 cc is all I’d ever need 400 though…
  • kit could do with a bit of TLC. Boots in particular had clips missing, and internal padding missing. Not dangerous but some have passed their sell by date.
  • Fitness, my downside. Couldn’t finish the last session of the day. First lap got loose and started making mistakes due to tiredness and concentration lapses. There is more than enough opportunities on the full course to really hurt yourself!
  • I’ll be back again!!!

4 Likes

Tomorrow’s the day… finally after having to rebook I get to go play on a bike for first time in five years. I’ve already put out baselayers and balaclava in anticipation.

This time I’m going a bit more organised. Cooler bag full of water, lunch and snacks.

Been looking at those photos and just looks like so much fun… and the orange just makes everything better :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice. You’ll have a great time, especially if it rains a bit.

One thing I wish I had done, but didn’t for some silly reason, was to take my body armour. They don’t provide anything for your torso beyond a flimsy chest foam pad thing. If you have protection to go on under their top and trousers/boots, I would take it.

Coming from trackdays, I felt positively under protected without armour on back/chest/shoulders/elbows.

Sadly all my armour is integrated with my jackets…

But I do have an ice bag to keep my food and drinks cool :sunglasses::grinning:

1 Like

Woke up early… Decided to do some practice

2 Likes

As with last time, a very good day out.

Same crew (at least Barry) since back in the last time we did it. Looked after us all day well.

I agree re comments above on boots and armour. Nothing felt too unsafe but it was quite well worn. It seemed to be more on the odd/large sizes. Anyone with a waist under 38 got the matching gear. Re:armour I wasn’t trying to push so didn’t bother me that much not having it.

We had a huge mix of skills, range of bike riding lads, two young boys who had only ridden bicycles, a 66year old who used to race MX. And someone who had done a lot of MX trackdays… But then got a bit cocky at the start and came off a couple of times.

I was very nervy at the start as I had issues finding the gear in those boots. By the end I was feeling it much more, letting the bike slide a bit and actually was not too tired. I kinda wanted one more session.

All in all its great value for money, so much so I’m thinking next year to book two days just to get a bit more tracktime. It’s only 25-28mins from me so practically next door.

So just to be sure I’m really sore, after that I came home and finally put this together (I had already cut the wood)

5 Likes

@Serrisan I’m in for next year, but wondering if one of the actual off-road courses might be better for me
as I could do with some actual tuition.

Glad you enjoyed it, the full track took some concentration but was a shed load of fun. How are the quads today -mine were sore as hell afterwards.

Actually not too bad… A bit stiff and achy, but not too bad

I’m at an inflatable assault course with loads of four year olds. This is much more knackering

I’m actually looking at October dates for this year

2 Likes