Friends son refuses to do a CBT

ok buddy, for sure.

Thanks all.

His dad let him on the bike despite saying the night before that he wouldnā€™t let him on without his CBT.

n.b. the scoot wouldnā€™t start when he wanted to go home - had a quick look - no oil.

I did explain all the benefits of doing the CBT on Sat night, but he wouldnā€™t listen.

Iā€™m going to call his gran now as she is the patriarch of the family and see if she will talk to his mum.

Good Luck with that mate.

I phoned Harleys Rider Training in Glasgow and he can get a CBT done within a week.

Then phoned his Gran and she will get it all sorted.

good on you.

letā€™s hope he does it AND appreciates the effort and reasoning behind not only your actions but also of the CBT.

Yea, good luck with that and good call on making the call(s) :wink:

No says no to a Scottish nana!

as long as the bike doesnt go on the road without CBT, then no problem :slight_smile:
take keys away, have a chat, give keys back straight after CBT
if you trust 'em not to go out then give keys back before CBT, simple
but if trust is broken, hello mr copper!

sounds like telling his gran was a good idea!

I`d tell the police what the kid is up to.

Good on you. At least you have done what you can to sort a real issue out. I do hope that gran will use a sjambok if he does not behave and tries to ride without the CBT though.

I work in a Vehicle Pound for the Met Police and we take in a lot of vehicles that either donā€™t have insurance or the driver was caught, ā€˜not inaccordanceā€™ with licence.

The whole process for the Keeper, Driver and or family and friends involved is long, embarrassing and frustrating. They have to go through the initial seizure of the vehicle where theyā€™re watched by members of public being dragged into the back of a police car, treated like the criminal scum that they are (not all cases, some are genuine and the insurance companies are held liable), then they watch as their vehicle gets driven or lifted to a pound. They then have to get a taxi, bus, tube etc etc, to get home.

Then, they have to queue up at the pound with their V5 (logbook), valid insurance certificate and both parts of their licence. If theyā€™re a learner, their friend has to also bring their licence or if theyā€™re getting another person to collect their car/bike, then that person needs to provide their ins and D/L as well as the V5 etc etc.

If, in the case of this lad, heā€™s collecting it himself, heā€™s gonna need to make sure the scooter has 2 ā€˜Lā€™ plates on it, provide his V5, valid insurance (which he probably doesnā€™t have so will have to wait for one to come through the post), both parts of his D/L and his CBT certificate. Without those docs he ainā€™t getting the bike back so its in his best interest to be legal on the road or heā€™s in serious kak. Chances are the parents will have to attend the pound with him so its causing them grief as well. Remind him that an offence like this leads to 6 points on his D/L which could cause him no end of problems as heā€™s only a provisional holder just nowā€¦he may remain one, or get banned altogether for years. And if heā€™s caught riding while banned heā€™s looking at time in prisonā€¦although slim these days due to our kak law system.

My original response to this was gonna be similar to what some others have said, get the parents to chain the bike up and hide the keys until heā€™s done the CBT, but considering they knew about it, then I think they need educating as well.

If I was you, Iā€™d have a quiet word with the local Traffic Cops and ask them if they could catch him on the bike, seize it if he doesnā€™t produce his CBT certificate (lets face it, riders are supposed to carry them at all times if theyā€™ve only done that course), and then put him through the hassle of getting it back from a poundā€¦but ask them if they can do it without him getting loads of points on his licence.

Remind him that people like me work in Pounds, and if he doesnā€™t have the right docs heā€™ll be going home to get it sortedā€¦he may have to return home a few times before he gets the bike out. If he doesnā€™t have insurance, heā€™ll have to wait for it to come through the postā€¦in the meantime the Ā£12 per day storage grows and grows and add that to the restoration fee of Ā£105, it could prove to be a very expensive mistake.

Good luck m8! :smiley:

When i did my CBT in Jan a lad rocked up on his own scooter - one of these race-look-a-like onesā€¦(he was a proper chav, gold everywhere, burberry, a black eye from a fight the night before - but i thought, leave the judgement out of itā€¦) The instructor took an instant dislike to him tho, especially when the lad told him heā€™d been riding for 3 monthsā€¦ the lad ended up failing his cbt, he was a liability, but he still rode off that afternoonā€¦If I were you mate, Iā€™d just have a word with his 'arl fella, surely you can just let him know that if the cops pick him up heā€™ll be in a fair amount of troubleā€¦ then you put the onus on the dad to get it sorted.

I dont think you can shop him inā€¦but fair play to you for giving him a few words before he set off, its tough with kids (and in my case, my kid brother) especially when it comes to convincing them that if they listen to their elders, we are, for the most part passing on experiance rather than ā€œtelling them what to doā€ or ā€œruining their livesā€ā€¦I like the idea of the parents locking the bike up until he passes his CBT though, thats the win win i thinkā€¦

lock up the bike with one of your locks and get the spare keys off dad so he cannot find them .give back after cbt .naughty little so and so .

i know now he has a scoot but we all started somewhere (my first one was horrid but i loved it ) one day he may want something lovely like a gixxer or R1 etc ,would it be worth pointing out that if he gets nicked and banned on the scoot then he will end up waiting what will seem like an absolute eternity til he can have something nice ???

would it also mean he may have to wait longer if the above applied to clio,saxo etc

If thats his attitude then Iā€™d let him learn the hard way

[rant]
Words just canā€™t describe how much I LOATHE people like that. Itā€™s not a shortage of money, or any possible reason why they canā€™t do it. Theyā€™re just too bone idle, lazy and stupid to do it. Iā€™d have the damn scoot off him in a second, have it chained up or on eBay if he didnā€™t sort himself out. And then Iā€™d still hate him for trying to get away with not doing it, so I hope he gets caught and gets a good proper wake up call.
Wonā€™t learn until heā€™s made to understand his actions - one way or another. He needs to grow some damn backbone and sort his dumb self out.
And a bloody stupid idea BUYING HIM the damn thing. Of course heā€™ll have no respect for it or the laws that govern it if everything is just handed him on a silver platter.

A mate of mine drove his car without a license about 2/3 months ago and crashed it. Police came across him after about a minute so heā€™s going through legal action on that account. When he told me about it I let him know exactly what I thought of him for it and though he didnā€™t like what I had to say to him heā€™s never going to try it again - either because of the legal action or because of what myself and other friends said to him, and exactly what we thought of him for doing it. Heā€™s not a chav, just a damn idiot and though I hope heā€™s not banned from driving he shouldnā€™t be allowed to just get away with it.
[/rant]

I certainly hope you have some effect Muntu, at least youā€™re trying to do some good, even though it should be his dad sorting him out.

If that boy is anything like me this would only force him to learn how to hot wire any vehicle if he doesnā€™t know yet.
Better is take down the current mileage and let the boy know that if an other mile is put on the scooter before he pass his CBT, the bike is gone even if that mean giving it away to his arch enemy just to really **** him off (and let all his friends know about it to exacerbate the humiliation while we are at it)

I then guaranty no more bullshit from the boy!!!

If he holds little respect for the laws of the road now then he wonā€™t give a jot about the bigger ones later o in life.

He faces a couple of offences:

1. Driving other than in accordance with a licence.

2. No Insurance.

The licence offence can carry 3-6 points and fine and the insurance 6 points minimum and roadside fixed penalty of Ā£200.

HOWEVER, being a new rider he will be governed by new regulations restricting him to 6 points.

So there will be no dealing with him on the roadside, he will go to Court and face a hefty punishment, Magistrates particular dislike youngsters holding traffic lows in low respect and punish accordingly.

this often means insurance companies refusing to insure or charging obscene premiums (Ā£3,000 and upwards)

the argument there is that the riders donā€™t bother with insuranceā€¦but they still get caught and then the driving career they possess dramatically spirals out of sightā€¦

Of course,as mentioned, the bike gets siezed under sec 165 of the RTAā€¦and thatā€™s more expenseā€¦

all at the expense of a CBT?

If his mentality is of that demise i challenge his total approach and attitude to the road and itā€™s users tbh.

personally, i think he needs to be put straight and in a language he understands, before his life on the road ends abruptly.

On a side note, this is a sad reflection on a lot of 16yr olds on mopeds out thereā€¦they have no interest in 2 wheels at allā€¦they see it as an ā€˜inconvenienceā€™ as they have to ride one for a year before they can get thier hands on what they really wantā€¦a car.

the moped is the only legal form of motorised transportation allowed to them at 16, so for one year they have to potter about until they turn 17.

they start to take thier licence more importantly then as they believe it starts ā€˜properlyā€™ with a car.

If only they knew.

All those are very very wise words mate.

[quote]
Porkscratchin (20/05/2008)

If he holds little respect for the laws of the road now then he wonā€™t give a jot about the bigger ones later o in life.COMPLETE AND UTTER RUBBISH people change ALL the time.If people had that attitude with me when i was a kid then now i wouldnā€™t be a straight and decent upstanding member of society.Writing off somebody at 16 becuase they dont want to take their CBTā€¦ PLEASE!!!

Fair point, but he does need to change sooner rather than laterā€¦ I donā€™t think dobbing him in to the fuzz will help, being nicked for a rebellious 16 year old is a badge of honourā€¦ but his Dad definitely needs to take a more serious attitude towards explaining to him the importance of basic social respect.

There seems to be lots of things wrong with this situation but I agree that parental guidance is probably an important factor. Must be difficult for you when youā€™re on the fringes of the family to intervene in a positive way- too often people take it personally if you criticise their flesh and blood in any way.