Flourescent jacket

If they are behind me, they see the reflective stripes on my back pack, and /or my top box.

But I get the feeling that I should start to wear the “yellow”

The only downside with any HiVis Jacket like the HG, is that during winter it will go black and you will to regularly wash it, and they don’t dry instantly. I was looking for a GoreTex HiVis many many months ago, and in the end I went with the Icon HiVis waist coat for a couple of reasons:

1. Easier to wash, no need for special deterents like Nikwax TechWash.

2. Much less material so it will dry quicker.

3. Dirt does not get as ingrained as with the jackets.

4. During the cold months it adds another layer, plus you can get padded ones for extra warm,

The main reason to wear it is so you can be spotted if you crash in the road in poor lighting. A biker head to toe in black in the dark/wet on tarmac is an easy target post crash.

That is something that I have never thought about, and it is a good point.

Very good point sir!

Best thing I have heard all day but I do work in the corporate world of the mobile industry so I hear alot of sh#te :smiley:

I wear a HG florescent jacket to commute to work but not on pleasure rides.

Well in my experience if they dont see that fuggin great headlight it aint gonna matter what what hiviz stuff you are wearin!!!

If you have the flashing lights and the siren and a kin great big POLICE written on your car and they still dont see you why do you think a little bit of yellow will make any difference???:w00t::w00t:

Yellow ‘Hi-Viz’ is okay In the day but it needs reflective tape or some such magic to be any good at night. Of course wearing a Yellow jacket on an upright bike can make people believe you’re the Old Bill - which is never norally a bad thing - especially if they’re on the phone at the time and think they’ve been caught…

I have a Respro Waistcoat - black & orange with reflective bits that I should dig out - a bit nicer than standard yellow IMO so there are alternatives out there and no need for any fashion faux pas…:slight_smile:

And I read sometime last year that in actual fact the human eye picks out blue light quicker than yellow (at night??? I think)

:slight_smile:

why not? it certainly cant do any harm

I first took that line after speaking to a client who had broken his wrist on a low speed roundabout slide. The HGV driver following said the only reason he stopped was he saw his flourescent jacket in the darkness on the floor.

Only time I don’t wear one is on dry daytime ‘fun’ rides where it causes too much drag.

During these dark damp mornings/ evenings i wear one of those H belt thingys. It reflects the light at night and looks slightly more discreet during the day.:w00t:

heres a VIZ

I wear one of these:

Doesn’t look too nerdy and has loads of handy pockets in it. I wear it all the time. I figure it it just helps one driver see me amongst the sea of traffic and not pull out then it’s worth it. (I also have a nerdy white helmet too but we won’t go there).

It’s quite an expensive waistcoat but very well made. I’ve been wearing mine for a year or two now and it’s still looking good.

http://www.urban-glow.com/home.htm

Looks like Elad’s got a new job :D:D

Quite often people do think I’m old bill which is fine by me.

If I could just afford a nice white BM !!!

Attachments

Wee-Small.JPG

I’m a black leather man or combat jacket only type of guy but i am beginning to see the advantages of a dayglo thing too, lol.

Was looking at the bomber type jackets you can get though.

this sort of thing: http://www.thesitebox.com/Product/140315/high-vis-bomber-jacket-x-large.aspx

We only wear ours to parties.:slight_smile: