Elephanten Treffen 2013.

Weekend pass issued due to Mrs J going on a family visit. This ride is looking more on than it was. :wink:

OK so Iā€™m up for this. Who is likely to be in?

My kit will be

• proper tent
  • inflatable insulated roll-mat
  • a sleeping bag thatā€™s probably not quite up to the job
  • torch, lights etc
  • waterproof day gear like walking boots.

is there a B&B nearby?

Cant believe I said yes to this :slight_smile:

The bikes not going to be fixed in time :frowning: so itā€™s a no from meā€¦one day though and looking forward to seeing the photos :slight_smile:

Mitas E10 tyres arrived today, should be fitted tomorrow. Current plan is to leave either Monday evening or first thing Tuesday, the former is preferable. Hoping to get there ASAP given the conditions to get a good spot, but wonā€™t be pushing it at all. Impossible to plan sleeping points, but will be taking the German YHA map with me.

Donā€™t all shout at once. :slight_smile:

Was thinking Thursday but need to get a sidecar for Nina to fit a Triumph 955i or a trailer, little mods as possible. Nina has woken up farting and Mrs J refuses to take her to see her mum in her present state as :-

A. Nina is flatulent.
B. Mrs J`s mum is still scared of gas attacks.

Have fun Martin!

Iā€™d have loved to join you, but just got back from hols abroad and the bike isnā€™t 100% for the trip :-/

Iā€™m having problems sourcing adventure tyres for the Bonne :angry:

Problem appears to be the SEā€™s 7 spoke alloy wheels, 110/70-17 front and 130/80-17 rear. The rims are for tubeless tyres and it seems all the adventure tyres Iā€™m looking at are tubed. Iā€™ve seen 130/80ā€™s for the rear but not sure if theyā€™ll suit the rim, 110/70-17ā€™s for the front are looking to be as rare as hens teeth.

Art - couldnā€™t just just bung in the wheels from a Scrambler?

Thatā€™s an expensive option for a Bavarian weekend bender

Left Monday to Harwich
Tuesday Hook to Randsacker
Wednesday Randsacker to Elefantentreffen for noon, found a spot to set up my tent in daylight.

This is not a 1 day trip, nor do you want to get there on the dates advertised. A few days beforehand is best - choice of camp sites, meet the regulars, not much site traffic. Journey along the A3 is best described as character buildingā€¦

More pics to come.

Well done Martin, Id have joined you but Mrs J insisted I was too old for that sort of thing. After a brief dispute she knocked me cold with a cotton bud which in retrospect proves her point I guess. Anyway Im camping in her freezer tonight to express my solidarity.:slight_smile:

fair play Martin, looking forward to seeing more pictures. Have you thawed out yet?

Martin your nuts:D enjoy fella! :cool:

Martin,

You are a mentalist :smiley:

BL

nice trip Martin

looking forward to seeing some pics

Bike packed, waiting for the Harwich -> Hook of Holland ferry

Got some sleep, ready to hit the road at half 7 the next morning. Impressive ship.

Chanced upon some UK reg bikes filling up after Frankfurt. They were heading to the same event but planning to stop off near Wurzburg, in a biker friendly hotel that has been used by their group over the years as the midway stop. As it was very, very windy and very, very wet I decided to continue riding solo at my own pace and agreed to meet them at the hotel that night. Many beers were had!

Whilst my gear is somewhat waterproof, literally everything I had was soaked within hours - me, my ā€˜drybagā€™, my backpack with clothes. Wind that makes you knock it down to 50 in 3rd, and rain that makes overtaking a leap of faith.