Electric bikes

Guy at work has one of these for the 2k to get to the station from home. Loves it. Forgive the promo video …

I am actually thinking about an electric bike next…

I’ve been looking at the Zero, awaiting work to install electric charging points and then it will prob be a no brainier given the mileage and fuel costs I do

I’m interested in the technology but until you can get a can (ok a portable battery) of electricity and take it to the bike to recharge almost instantly I’m going to be hesitant.

If I was living in an urban environment then I’d be less worried.

I feel like some sort of universal battery swap is the end goal for mass adoption of battery cars. If the zero’s were cheaper id be seriously considering them - as the range seems good enough.

I’m soon to be doing 145 mile round commute…that’s pushing the 150 mile range a bit

Energy infrastructure. Yes. Kiss goodbye to Rideout’s. I don’t have room for two bikes.

I'm soon to be doing 145 mile round commute....that's pushing the 150 mile range a bit Curtis
And factor in how it'll fair on a cold winter day when the batteries won't last as well, and you'll have heated grips/gloves/etc draining them even more. Maybe even more main beam usage of lights as daylight hours drop if out of town too. I've had helmet camera battery life drop by half once the temperature drops to 5C and below... 

Pretty ridiculous situation where a potential market is waiting for available tech to catch up.

6 grand for a bike to go 2km to the station is a bit rich for my tastes, cycling or walking is surely the best option over that distance? If only to save the faff of carrying a helmet around.
I guess your colleague has a fair bit of disposable income?

Electric motorbikes would definitely appeal to me if the price came down. I do around 40miles a day commute and have a garage and off street parking so would suit me down to the ground.

Do they come with giant speakers in place of the exhaust to play mp3s of engine noise?

• 1 to that.

I’m with Monki, for that distance, I’d walk. 

What I hadn’t been noticing until now was the Lightning LS218. It’s shoving out over two hundred ponies with a top speed of 218mph and 168 ft-lbs of torque … that is just bonkers!

Once range increases and price decreases, electric bikes will replace our oil burning dinosaurs

I'm soon to be doing 145 mile round commute....that's pushing the 150 mile range a bit Curtis

Performance Bikes have a test of one in this months issue. 

In normal road use they were hitting ‘reserve’ i.e 20% charge left @ around 75 miles so a real world range of 90 miles. As Arfa has pointed out above, this will probably noticeably less in winter .

In a flat out ride around bruntingthorpe track until it ran out of juice, they got 38 miles before it hit 0% at which point it slows to 31mph and they got a final lap back to the van. But apparently it won’t maintain flat out as the air cooled motor overheats & an 80mph restrictor kicks in until it cools down.

For £14K after the £1,500 govt grant it’s a lot of money when you could buy a Honda NC750 & still have enough money left over for 100,000 miles of fuel.

I agree electric bikes are the future, but it seems this particular bike’s the present.

As for the Meijs Motorman in the OP. £8K for what’s basically an electric pushbike hub drive motor in a hipster friendly suit? 

https://www.velorution.com/urban/electric/meijs-motorman-electric-motorbike.html

Why not just buy an electric push bike for a fraction of the cost?

That’s quite interesting!

I’ve test ridden the NC750 and that’s what I’m looking at getting come September.

Is the NC750 as boring as it looks?

In a word, yes.

I have one as a courtesy bike at the moment (the NC750x) and I’m getting used to it now but the lack of urgency and 7,000 rev redline means that I spent the first week bouncing off the rev limiter waiting for it to get going. The adventure styling takes some getting used to as well, not ideal for commuting really.

To be fair, it never made any claims to be exciting. It does what it says on the tin, good fuel economy, just enough power and a really useful storage in the front.

Is the NC750 as boring as it looks? yourebarred
Yes!

What I hadn't been noticing until now was the Lightning LS218. It's shoving out over two hundred ponies with a top speed of 218mph and 168 ft-lbs of torque ... that is just bonkers!
Once range increases and price decreases, electric bikes will replace our oil burning dinosaurs
SP
I'm waiting until they have a demo unit here in the UK!

Sounds good to me.  Test ride please.  No test ride = no sale.

Sounds good to me.  Test ride please.  No test ride = no sale.
Aceman
I love how more and more dealerships seem to think that we're going to buy a bike without ever having ridden it... It's mindboggling!