DRILLER KILLER aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

Could any of you lovely people with drilling expertise tell me how to tackle drilling this effing exhaust can bolt out?I’ve managed to drill a nice pilot hole in the lower left bolt so that I can put a larger drill bit in and drill it out.

However - the bolt on the upper right seems to be made of a much harder grade of steel - all I appear to be doing is polishing the f*cker!

Any ideas - apart from spending the next six months sitting here drilling it out.

Thanks - ST :smiley:

so how many hours of parking does that add up to?? :smiley:

btw no idea about the drilling prob sorry

Ha ha - that’s part of my broken leg motorcycling insurance claim - it’s how long my relative had to park up in hospital while they were visiting me/taking me to the fracture clinic!

take a dremel to it and be very gentle is all I can suggest.

if you take your time it’ll shatter the thread in it and it’ll fall out

just occurred to me, are you using the same drill bit as it may have become blunt after the first attempt…

What sort of drills are you using ? I always use Tin- coated drills as they last a lot longer and stay sharp, but if you really want to make it easy (and you’re feeling flush), use a carbide drill.

It may be that the one you’re having trouble with is stainless - which is a bugger because stainless work-hardens quite nastily, so you need to cool it while you’re drilling - if you don’t have coolant to hand, you can use wd40 but you’ll get through a fair bit of it.Normally with stainless you would use low speed / high pressure otherwise you will just end up polishing the end of the piece.

Do you reckonn a dremel will do a better job MG?I tried another drill bit Pan and it didn’t make any difference - i’ll buy a new bit just to make sure that all my bits are not past it.

Thanks G. I’m using bits designed for metal - but they are nothing special - and my Black and Decker is something I inherited from a relative who bought it when Abba were still in the charts :smiley: - so maybe I need a new fangled multi-speed drill for low speed drilling and some of those carbide jobbies you were referring to. Cheers! :cool:

Got a drill you can use, if you like - it’s only a cheapo one, but it has variable speed… unfortunately I only seem to have masonry drills to hand (and a nice fat spot weld drill), so you’d need to get the right size for the job.

Cheers G - that’s really kind :wink: . I think i’ll bite the bullet and buy a better multi speed drill (they seem relatively cheap) - as I’ve still got a couple of fairing bolts to drill out :smiley: - thanks for the offer - much appreciated. ;):cool:

I was having a similar problem with my VTR cans the other week. Ended up using a tungsten Carbide bit in a Dremmel. Soon had it sorted:cool:

Thanks CM - Tungsten carbide - that sounds like a serious sexy kind of drill bit. :cool:

I’m gonna check this carbide stuff out - I’m determined to get on top of this drilling malarkey - I’m never gonna be left frustrated and angry (and in tears :stuck_out_tongue: ) by a seized bolt again! :smiley:

The TC bit I used was bought from B&Q a couple of years ago when I was tiling my bathroom. I think it was about £7 and has been used since for many applications where its more than earned its keep;)

Thanks CM - that sounds terrific! :DI might even start getting cocky and start drilling out other peoples seized bolts - just for the hell of it and to get revenge on every bolt that held me up in the past! :smiley:

If you’re N.London you’re welcome to borrow it.

Thanks CM - that’s really nice. I’ll pm you if I’m in the vicinity. Very much appreciated - thankyou ;):cool:

try these m8 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5PCE-DAMAGED-BOLT-SCREW-STUD-EXTRACTOR-REMOVER-EASY-OUT_W0QQitemZ190299414170QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item190299414170&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50 there not the most hard wearing but will do the trick:)

Cheers Mad-Dog! - will check em out! ;):D:cool:

dont know if this bit of advice is gonna help but in future with seized bolts if they are bolts or nuts that get hot from the engine whilst started i warm up the engine thus heating the bolts or nuts than carefully without burning(yourself) crack the em open or reverse drill bits which cut anticlockwise thus whilst drilling out your slowly putting pressure to undo the stud/bolt or have a look at the link

hope i dont sound looney :hehe:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/index_det.asp?index=E&index_ID=96&name=Extractors&tool=index

Thanks NR - good advice - great link too - cheers! ;):cool: