*** DREI DOWN ***

Been away for a few days and come back to this! Drei, glad you’re ok fella, that front wheel is shocking.

Look on the bright side… no more chicken strips!

Hope everything gets sorted pal

its got chicken strips on it now,

you cleaned and fitted them panels yet, eas warrens advice any good.

MATE PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND RIDE THAT BIKE,

The brake calipers are not tight or is the wheel spindle, as it is the wrong wheel and they can not be tightened as the wheel will lock up.

I am being serious Please do not even ride it off the drive.

cool

Drei, Mate sorry to hear it, just glad your not to bad. You was very very lucky!!! chin up

Crikey mate! Glad you’re in one piece? Thats the main thing

And that makes it OK then dose it ? That if a rider can get his knee down it makes him the best. I think not . there is a place for that and its om a track their is never a need to get your knee down on a public road apart letting the wind blow through the crack of your butt. To treat the roads we ride as a track is Stupid, as there is too much litter, oil, diesel, manholes, white lines, I could go on but we know this and yet we ignore it. Falling from a plane wont kill you its the stopping at the bottom! Every one is jumping on the band waggon saying it must Be the “CAGGERS” fault well its not always so. Too many riders out there think their INDEFOOKINGSTRUCKABLE. Panic is the cause of most accidents. Take the well known Car from a side turn and the diver sees you and freezes Stops right in front of you. If they kept moving impact my not occur. Drei Is alive that’s what matters. Their are a lot of people on our roads and most of them are not bike wise so treat them as such! We ride to live . not die young. drei is young and inexperienced and to put up post about being crappy at cornering and then another celebrating the fact that he got his knee down, raises questions as to how much respect for our roads he has. There is a place for this its on a track looking silly in one piece suit with your knee on the deck. So my point is its not a track altho life is a race sometimes. In some 20 plus years of driving riding, using the road every day I see another act of stupidity that amazes me no end.from both caggers and bikers ! So get of the high horse and celebrate the fact he’s alive and well. And able to ride for many years to come. There is a lesson here and we know who must learn it ?

Wow, as usual, unfortunately I dont have the time to read this whole thread. But just taking this bit in single context from ICEBOX, I know where I gonna spend my money

Good point made…Just was saying that his accident had nothing to do with his other thread that you were referring to. The two dates were different even.

I know what you’re saying though about not using the road as a track and that knee down on the road isn’t necessary…

Hell though, I’d like to practice on a roundabout, early morning with next to no traffic, but I realise the road conditions may be crappy and I may fall. I think that’s safer than cornering knee down on the road where it’s difficult to change your line if an unexpected obstruction is seen.

It’s a risk, but I’m aware of it.

Completely agree with the fact it’s not always the ‘CAGGERS’ fault. Like Drei I’m inexperianced (riding less than a year) and I’ve made some stupid calls on London’s streets. I do what I can to try and make up for that with doing Bike Safe, reading Road Craft, doing track days, going to CSS, lots and lots of riding (I know you do this Drei) and generally treating every other road user like an idiot and as if they haven’t seen you. I do as many track days as possible as I find it gets ‘it’ out of my system and I’m much more relaxed on my commute!! Obviusly nothing makes up for years of experiance but I also think an old dog can have bad habits too!

What you say about many accidents being caused by panic is so true! Each night going over Tower bridge - which is very narrow - the car drivers see motorbikes in their mirror so pull over to let them pass (either in panic or being generous) and almost crush the cyclist that is beside them. I see this again and again. The sad thing is I guess it would be the cars fault yet it’s just a seiries of events that can happen - and kill!

I disagree with you though on using public roads for practicing various ‘techniques’ that should be kept for the track; I taught myself to get my knee down on a very nice roundabout in the middle of open fields where I could see approaching traffic for miles, at about 6AM on a sunday morning. I see nothing wrong with that at all. Also wheelies. I like to find an industrial estate with a dead-end road (so there will be no through traffic) on a Sunday afternoon.

Glad you’re up and about Drei. Reckon the aches and pains are going to start coming out now!!

Some good points well made Mike.

Quote: “I taught myself to get my knee down on a very nice roundabout in the middle of open fields where I could see approaching traffic for miles, at about 6AM on a sunday morning. I see nothing wrong with that at all”. Whats your left kneeslider like tho?

Had to take a file to it!! =oD

Drei, hope your doing well, sounds like you’ve had a tough time of it lately.

Would suggest you dont want to be practising on busy roads, concentration and defensive riding, particularly in London, will often prove more useful than all the experience in the world. I’ve been riding nearly 10 years now, and know i’ve not seen it all, and probably never will. There is always going to be someone who will do the unpredictable - its most often some jerk in car but the number of near misses you see with scooterers is scary!

If you’re looking to learn about cornering and how to really control your bike I would highly recommend http://www.superbikeschool.co.uk/. I did level 1 and 2 a couple of years ago, and while its not cheap, the day is awesome and the coaches are brilliant. You’ll learn more, safely, about how to corner and get you knee down etc in a single day here, than any practicing on a road will give you. And there aint no cars about to spoil the fun.

Drei, I reckon Suzuki GB would be interested in seeing that picture of your front wheel… To have the hoop come away from the hub and ‘spokes’ like that seems a bit dodgy… I know modern wheels are light and all that, but that just doesn’t look right!

sorry about your accident, good to hear your ok though

Drei - so sorry to head about you crash mate!

Although I don’t know you personally its gutting to know that a fellow biker has gone down - especially a LB biker!

With regards to test driving, there is no reason why you couldn’t take it for a quick spin, doesn’t really matter how tight the FT wheel is or the brake caliper…you’ll just have to ride it on the back wheel only (with the front in the air)!!

Seriously, all the best for a speedy recovery and hope to meet you some time!

knew a girl called amber,always uncertain about her.its that amber thing.sorry to hear about the bike damage but glad you’re okay.thats the main thing

Looking at the pictures of that front wheel, i’d be seriously concerned if i was riding that model of GSXR. If it has been straightened by Hagon or whoever, i’d make sure both they and Suzuki are aware that obviously the material is unsuitable for whatever process they use to straighten it and appears to be very brittle, and inform insurance companies accordingly.

I’ve never seen a wheel disintegrate like that, it should dent and bend, then the forks should take the rest of the force, resulting in them bending, then frame etc Only similar example i can think of is when Robert Dunlops wheel collapsed at the TT or NW200 resulting in horrific injuries, and that was at high speed. Can’t remember the wheel manufacturer but they ended up settling for a huge ammount out of court.

That just shouldn’t happen, especially on the road at 20/30/40 mph