Commuting Camera ..... ? Helmet, Wired, Bluetooth, permanent, film crew ..... ?

Right … taken me a while, but DIY comes before bike fiddling I was told … :frowning:

It would appear that my PDM60 has an issue … will look into that in more detail further down the road …

The Innovv K1 (moto) was wired up to ‘turn on’ with ignition.

I’ve installed the GPS unit under the plastics at the rear - because the GPS is NOT waterproof. The speaker on the unit can still be heard …“recording started” etc, but the unit can still ‘see’ satellites.

The secondary control button I’ve placed down on the side just under the seat. For me, this will be used ONLY to protect video footage from being recorded over (during loop)

I’ve installed a 64G card so that should give me 8 hours recording

The DVR itself I’ve installed under the pillion seat. I created an angled bracket and used external sticky pads to stick the bracket to the base of the holding, and the K1 holder. The DVR is therefore ‘suspended’ centrally (vertically) in the holding under the seat. This means less likelihood of getting wet, anti-vibration, etc.

Camera - Front has been placed centrally in the air scoop. I used a small bracket an attached it to on of the bottom screen mounts.

Camera - Rear has been attached to the rear number plate. I may try and find a better location later, but this was the best I could come up with at the time.

Photos of all of the above to follow (more so for you Aceman)

Initial impressions:

1) When buying the unit - make sure you get the lens protectors. I didn’t and am about to order. The lenses get REALLY dirty.

1. The images are GREAT. Reg numbers can be seen really well. I’ll try and take it out in the dark over the weekend and see what its like then.

3) When reading the blurb on the website, I got the impression the cameras could be turned anyway up, and you could rotate using the software. YOU CAN’T. The cameras must be located vertically (long side up) and within the software you can FLIP. This I guess is great if you want to use the DVR as a rear view camera. I was tempted, but placement is an issue on the ZX10r and I’d probably end up leaving it in place when parked and returning with it gone. The DVR can be set to display the front camera, the rear camera or BOTH cameras.

4) When I turn on ignition, the unit fires up and says “Unit Recording”. When you stop and turn off “Unit Stopped Recording”. There is little delay in turning off - hence the need to hook it up to a (working) PDM60 (to allocate a delayed turn off.

1. there is a way to set ‘record on movement’ - I tried but it seemed to f*ck up the auto record start on ignition. I’ll review more at some point.

2. there is a way to set ‘parking mode’ - where it records up to 40mins (changeable) after ignition off through the use of its own internal battery. I’ve read that the battery takes FOREVER to recharge so can cause issues. Again I will review more at some point.    

Go Pro Hero 4 and you’re sorted. Comes with all the waterproof cases you need and does plenty the average punter wants from a camera.

All well and good but you need to keep it charged, with a on-board system it’s always powered

(1) not happy having anything strapped to my helmet - for safety and just looking like a k****

(2) if Go Pro is strapped to bike … likely to end up “Gone Pro”

(3) As Nivag said - permanent power is surely better !!??

(4) Innovv offers you forward AND backward recording … does Go Pro? Nope !? 

I did have a look at the PDM60, but decided that having a software control power delivery wasn’t want I wanted.  I went with a Fuzeblock:

http://www.nippynormans.com/fuse-panels

Any chance of a further update? Seriously consider on now after some idiots on the road.

Any chance of a further update? Seriously consider on now after some idiots on the road. Kevsta
its a good little bit of kit if fitted correctly

I brought the 12-5v converter from Innovv & can tell you it quality is crap

so I brought a better one from nippy normans & is a lot better I also brought a Fuze Block

the system is temperamental with the power supply originally I took it off the light circuit which wasn’t a good move 

the best thing to do is find the correct ignition live feed & take it from that

its fully automatic & I use a 128gb micro sd card (brought from Amazon)  its records in a loop so when its full it will just delet the first recording & so on

camera location fro the front camera on my bike isn’t ideal but ill be making a bracket to move it more central

I fitted the rear camera to the offside pillion footpeg i think its very discreet down there but it does limit the camera viewing the nearside you just see the tyre

would i buy another one

Yes im thinking of getting one for my car