Camden Plans to Motorcycle Charges

https://www.camden.gov.uk/documents/20142/0/Parking+Permit+and+Charges+Review+2020.pdf/26bba9da-eb65-2e0b-1787-7146af88ddc1?t=1606140644956

Parking Permit Review 20208Proposed changes to Motorcycle Parking (parking in solo motorcycle bays and resident parking). The following is proposed for motorcycle parking:
Increasing the price for a petrol motorcycle resident permit;
Introducing a discounted electric motorcycle resident permit;
Introducing a motorcycle business permit;
Converting all dedicated solo motorcycle bays across the Borough to shared-use motorcycle bays, where motorcyclists require one of the following permits to park in these bays:
• Paid for parking session
• Parking permission
• Business permit for the CPZ in which the bay lies
• Business visitor permit for the CPZ in which the bay lies
• Resident permit for the CPZ in which the bay lies• Resident visitor permit for the CPZ in which the bay lies
• A daily permit (which would only be available for two years).
The above proposals, which remove free parking for motorcycles in Camden, are proposed because:
Motorcycles are a source of carbon emissions;
Relative to their share of traffic, motorcycles are more likely to be involved in collisions resulting in a fatality or serious injury to both pedestrians and cyclists;
Peak sound levels for motorcycles can significantly exceed those for motor vehicles, creating noise and disturbance for residents.As part of a package of measures these charges are intended to discourage inessential motorcycle journeys to address the issues set out above and to encourage more walking and cycling.

Sounds wonderfully ill informed with scant evidence to back their excuses for an anti-motorcycle stance.

1 Like

It’s not really an anti-motorcycle stance, it’s more like we are crippled by lack of money because of government cuts of 60% to local authorities, and Covid-19 has further devastated income. And so now there are looking at how they can raise money. Oh look we don’t charge anything for motorcycle parking, so let’s do that.

More are more local councils are going to be looking hard at things and where they can raise money. So many are on the verge of bankruptcy.

You can make good arguments that motorcyclists should not be exempt for paying their fare share. But their proposals are punitive, not fair, and they are admitting it.

What do sound levels have to do with parking? There are legal restrictions on noise levels, if any vehicle is exceeding those then there are legal remedies. Excessive charging for parking does nothing to address the problem. It penalizes those who are acting legally. And most notably, parked vehicles do not make any noise.

And making claims “relative to their share of traffic” is blatantly corrupt. Accidents are absolute, not relative. Collisions occur with real vehicles on the roads, not extrapolated ones that do not exist.

But even then, I would still like to see evidence for that uncited claim because it does not sound right.

The most recent government data I can find, unsurprisingly, puts the percentage of injury to cyclists and pedestrians from motorcycles as the lowest for all motor vehicles. Even an outright ban on motorcycles would make a negligible impact on safety to those categories. And more likely would lead to many of those motorcyclists switching to statistically more dangerous cars

Sources: Road safety factsheets and ad-hoc statistics - GOV.UK

Their proposal for the cost of a resident’s permit for a petrol motorcycle is for it to be exactly the same as for a petrol car (up to 120 g/Km CO2), despite a vastly different road space requirement and that almost all the bikes which you would risk leaving parked on a road having much lower emissions.

They are charging the same of a kid with a Chinese 125cc scooter as a family with a Citroen Grand C4 Space Tourer. (I know nothing about cars, I looked it up and that one look big and only 105 g/Km CO2)

They say their stated intention to “discourage inessential motorcycle journeys,” yet are essentially doubling the cost of residents permits despite that having no baring on a journey type.

Meanwhile, after two years their intention is to scrap the ÂŁ6 daily parking charge and have petrol motorcycles charged the same as petrol cars. But before then, if these proposals are adopted, if you only want to quickly stop somewhere for an hour it will be ÂŁ3.43 in the north of the borough or ÂŁ4.31 north of the inner ring road in a petrol car, compared to a flat ÂŁ6 for using a motorcycle bay in the same street.

I do not like live in Camden and am unlikely to ever need to park there, but if I did I would park parallel to the kerb to get my monies worth. If they want to charge you for the road space of a car, make sure you use the road space of a car and not let them charge you four times as much, relative to the share of road space of a car.

This is not simply closing a “loophole” of motorcyclists not paying anything, there is no fairness or proportionality in their proposals.

4 Likes

Note it says vehicles not cars.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/11/khan-considering-350-daily-charge-for-drivers-entering-london?

1 Like

It’s a much higher charge than Westminster - and they intend pretty much to gradually phase out all mc parking. There still time to get lots of objections in.

Apologies for repeating this in more than one place - but I thought different people might be following different threads.

Camden are making the decision about their discriminatory proposals for motorcycle parking next month.

MAG has written an open letter setting out the main problems with the proposals, which they are asking as many people as possible to sign.

All you need to do is follow this link and fill in the blanks: [http://bit.ly/39O6Dzs ] (https://bit.ly/39O6Dzs?fbclid=IwAR04TKozYymmtdQV6RMZxC9YNaxwmn6ggK5mqYHvCvRuAv5Q0gkV9bokvqY )

It should take two minutes of your time.

Open letters like this can make a difference, if enough people sign.

Please feel free to share this letter widely, the more people who sign it the better. They ideally need to get as many responses as possible by the first week of February so it can be presented to the council in good time