Brands 28th August Trackday

Druids is a good place to try it but forget bothering with that at paddock hill unless you have a spare change of underwear!!! Thanks for the luck we’ll see…Top 3 is pretty much where i expect to be. In club races at Mallory though we get into lapped traffic a lot and that can sadly sometimes decide positions :frowning:

Keep practicing your braking M. When your at the track you really need to find some braking points, give yourself plenty of room for error. You don’t need a racetrack to improve your braking skills though. I’d suggest finding a quiet, flat and straight piece of road that has a grippy surface. Start off at about 30mph and using the front brake only to stop as quickly as possible. The rear does very little of the braking but can use a lot of your concentration.Practice does make perfect, so keep repeating the drill and get a ‘Feel’ for your bike’s stopping power. Add speed as you get more profficient. One day you may need to use your brakes in an emergency and it will be second nature if you’ve practiced.The way to apply the front brake is intially with quite a firm pressure for a fraction of a second to get the weight transferred to the front and then progressively apply it harder until you reach your turn point. Release the brake gradually shortly before that point to keep the bike smooth and settled.I know it sounds easy, but it’s amazing what a bit of practice and determination can do.

In fairness B as i don’t ride on the road i have to use the track to practice anything!

The pointers were for M-Daytona not you Sammo…pay attention:P

Thanks B, I’ll try this out as I go on the road as well, then on track again wed.

Yeah Sam, pay attention to your coach!!

Yer but i suggested making sure nobody was behind on track and braking as hard as you could at a braking marker and seeing where you end up. I do this regular at Mallory hairpin on a practice session to get me up to speed. :slight_smile:

Don’t argue with your teacher…go to the back of the classroom:hehe:

:hehe::hehe:

You’ve been shown the naughty corner now!

I’ll practice braking hard whenever I can guys, thanks for the pointers, I think this is one of my major issues, as I’m not sure how hard I call pull the brake without pulling a stoppie, or worse!

You’re right B, it’s about getting used to how the bike reacts and therefore not panic when I do need to brake hard in an emergency.

Mel,

You can brake way harder than you do on the road, and with greater confidence on track. I was amazed how much harder I tug the brakes on when on track, not got rear off ground yet (well only a little bit) Gets you ahead of alot of other peeps who still doing road braking. Mind you my bike similar weight to one of the smaller whales, plus me on top…your bike is supermodel weight, and not much extra with you onboard! Might affect willingness to stop or stoppie!

However, B’s advice re: practice is seriously appropriate - need to know your limits in both worlds!

Be good if you come to the Oct Brands trackday, we could go out together!:cool:

Where are you gonna take him…the kentagon? :hehe:

My mate told me that in the car world (he mention touring car racing), a racer will load the brakes before applying them.

That is, they will pump the pedal a number of times to pressurise the hydraulic fluid in the brake hose. This is so that when they do finally apply the brake proper, there is no lag which is caused by the fluid travel and pressurisation.

This lag is very very tiny, but it makes a difference for the racers to deem the technique outlined above necessary.

Are there any parallels to this in the bike world?

Not that I can think of.

If you have decent brake kit - like all modern sports bikes - and the fluid is in good order and bled correctly - the first pull of your lever will have the pads on your discs.

The only time I’d consider pumping the pads out would be after a massive tank slapper - where it has been known for the pistons to get knocked back into the calipers a little.

I would have thought pumping the car brakes like that would cost your lap times dearly.

As DP says, give the bike brakes a pump to check the pistons have not been pushed out after a tankslapper.