BMW S1000RR Test Ride

Either that or go and buy a lottery, now

1 Like

I did, I won Ā£30. Going to invest it in Tesla stock on Monday.

1 Like

Thatā€™ll buy you 1-2 shares? Just be mindful Elonā€™s ranting tweets can cost you dearly :joy:

Edit just checked the share priceā€¦ Wow thatā€™s some overvalued hyped pricing if ever I saw itā€¦

For anyone loving this game, just remind yourself of the Berkshire Hathaway share priceā€¦ But at least thatā€™s backed up by years of good business

Itā€™ll buy 0.0382 shares, but every little helps :slight_smile:

His tweets sure do make holding Tesla stock interesting, thatā€™s for sure. Sometimes they go down, but more times than not they go up (I own Tesla stock). I donā€™t think itā€™s overvalued and a lot analysts agree. Of course, I would say that though as Iā€™m doing well out of my holdings.

Stick it in a Vanguard fund.

Well itā€™s definitely not a WeWork, and youā€™re right he has pulled it back a bit but Iā€™m still waiting for the company to implode from one of his rantsā€¦

In any case, I stay away from stocks and shares. Gambling ainā€™t my thing

1 Like

Buy a Premium Bond.

@kcoops whatā€™s the latest on the bike hunt?

I just expressed interest to BMW in test riding the S1000RR :grimacing:

I went to Ducati Alton 2 fridays ago and expressed interest in the V2, before I could say hello the sales guy was like when are you looking to buy with a tone to imply if you ainā€™t buying in the next week then not very interested. Also he strongly suggested testing all inlines first as apparently the Vs are a completely different feel which again registered as go away. Compared to the BMW shop they were extremely accommodating.

That said in person the V2 wasnā€™t that impressive they have made it slimmer which I think will feel like you are on a 125 compared to my gixxer. Also given itā€™s price compared to the BMW and what it offers the BMW is a clear winner. But still want to test ride just to know I have completely covered my basis.

BMW hasnā€™t come back to me regarding breaking in the test bike so gonna call on the weekend to see if they have done it. Really keen to see what is like.

Ironically WFH this week and saw someone on my estate go past on an older S1000RR which made me look into them and they donā€™t seem that bad. I thought all the goodies such as DDC, race modes, cruise controlā€¦ was new for 2020 but its not. Based on reviews the 2016 to 2018 models are solid also, apart from the look.

Knowing how I do things its gonna take me a minute. I took almost 2 years of research and making up my mind to go from CBR 600 to current bike cannot do it on a whim. But when I finally make up my mind in 2025 :rofl: gonna walk in and walk out with one same day. :rofl:

1 Like

Wowā€¦ thatā€™s shitty about the service :confused: . Feels short sighted of them. I understand that people may waste their time by taking jolly test rides, but thatā€™s the way it is sadly. Hate it when sales people donā€™t appreciate how they could make a loyal customer by building a bit of rapport.

After reading what youā€™ve said, I donā€™t know why I had in my head that the V2 was a competitor to the S1000RR. Considering all the bells and whistles maybe itā€™s not worth considering :thinking:. Like you said though, Iā€™m still keen to ride it.

I also heard itā€™s notably less comfy that the BMW, which might be a killer for me as I will use it for longer distance riding too. Reviews have said the BMW is good for long journeys despite the sportiness.

Looking forward to see how you get on!

Yeah it was a bit shit, but i guess they are probably trying to make up ground given the current climate so absolutely no time wasters. Thatā€™s my naive opinion any ways. :smirk:

I was in the same boat also, dont know why i thought the V2 was the contender, but its not. Its the V4 and that is way out of my price range, but thats a bike is a beauty. The BMW is amazingly comfortable and very very easy to ride, that is a massive plus for it.

Oh I have become a fair weather rider so the current gloom aint helping either. Summer is over in my eyes.

Finally got a go on the S1000RR fully powered and I was impressed. It is seriously quick, when you get above a certain RPM (not sure was look at the roads :wink:) its like someone lights a fire in its arse and it takes off like a hell bat. The first time it happened it scared the shit out of me so didnā€™t try it again. :rofl:

The suspension does take some getting used to, into roundabouts if everything isnā€™t perfect: brake, speed and exit you get a pogo stick effect. I completely put that down to my riding. Did 5 hours on it so tried out the navigation and infotainment, it is good but does replace a good satnav and spotify, and it is ran all through your mobile so will need to have a charger on it. Also it can lure you into fiddling with it every 10 secs. It does still have that soullessness a bit, but ti quickly vanishes as soon as you open the throttle.

So dealership had a 2018 model which I think is perfect for me yeah its a bit ugly but if it rides as good as it says on paper I could live with that. Ready to buy, but took it out for a test, and straight out the show room, a heavy steering. I thought it was the tyres but checked it at the petrol station and it was fine. Of all the bikes that I have ridden I have never felt that before, any lean and the steering is failing over as if someone tied a brick onto the handle bars, counter steering turned into bench press. It had a few other bits that could easily be remedied, like the long ass clutch lever but that was a deal breaker.

They mentioned the steering dampener, but I always thought that is meant to reduce vibration at speed as opposed to controlling the weight of the front on the steering?? They are going to look into it and get back to me, but the search continues. Think I am set on the BMW just need to find a good one. Well at least I have not found any other contenders.

@kylejs have you had a go on it yet?

Nice! Sounds like the shift cam tech kicking in making it go warp speed? :slight_smile:

Suspension is always a total lottery from the dealer, youā€™d have to get it setup for you. @B would almost certainly be able to fix that steering issue.

@kcoops awesome! Shame about the steering, but as @Jay says maybe worth chatting to @B and bargain with the dealer?

Are you not going for a 2019/20 one due price? Or something else?

I havenā€™t got on one yet. Lind Motorrad are waiting for a new test bike to be delivered because they sold theirs. Unless they sold it because the buyer was desperate, I donā€™t understand why wouldnā€™t keep a +600 mile S1000RR ready for test because like you sayā€¦ whatā€™s the point?

They were supposed to get one today, but I havenā€™t heard from them so may reach out to a different dealer.

Iā€™ve also reached out to Ducati about the V2 just to try it. And Iā€™ve reached out to Yamaha about the R6. Neither have responded to my emails yet, so will probably give them a bell tomorrow.

Iā€™m kind of surprised that the dealers donā€™t come across as more keen to get me inā€¦ The first Ducati dealer I spoke to did say the demand is flying right now because those who didnā€™t buy at the beginning of the season are now knocking on the doorā€¦ but still. Maybe Iā€™m being to harsh what with coronavirus probably making a huge production line backlog too.

@Jay and @kylejs I might consider that conversation with @B, but donā€™t want to buy with a fault and then it turns out it is something bigger and cannot be completely fixed. Gonna see what they come back with.

@kylejs dont know where you are based but if Bahnstormer Maidenhead is within distance give them a call and ask for Aldo. I have been dealing with him so far and he has been really straight with me, he does try the odd sales tactic, as to be expected. Drop my name (Kerwayne) it might get me a discount. :rofl:

As for the 2020 model, price is a factor and I have never been a fan of buying new and feeling the depreciation sting. I got lucky with my gixxer back in 2015 and got a 0% APR deal. Also not sure I will use what I pay for. Even though a few reviews have said the ride is equivalent, I think it is better on the 2020 model. Who knows, they might feel generous and give me a sweet deal I cannot refuse.

1 Like

Bikes are big purchases there is no excuse for tardy responses from dealers.

Itā€™s why I miss Metropolis. I know they had their faults but I actually just went in to kick tyres and chat and ended up doing a deal on part-exā€™ing my 748 for a new Supersport. The salesman judged it perfectly: interested in selling to me but not too pushy; sorted out a long test ride; spent ages explaining options; and what clinched it for me was he treated my part-ex bike with respect. Iā€™ve been to so many bike and car dealers over the years and they always poo-poo your trade-in vehicle ā€œoh, not much call for those nowadays. Oh, mileage is a bit high. Oh, thatā€™s not a popular colour nowā€. Of course all those things might be true but no point pissing of the potential buyer.

Yes, I miss Metropolis.

1 Like

As Michael says, you have the money to spend and, within reason, need to be given the service you need to invest. Sometimes sales people forget that these bikes cost a lot of money and selling one isnā€™t like buying a tin of beans. This can happen when you sell these things day in day out

However, Iā€™ve never actually e-mailed to do a test ride. Iā€™ve always just phoned up. Could it be they just never get a chance to go over emails? Iā€™ve always assumed the de facto way of doing this is via phone.

1 Like

@Michael748 the service youā€™re talking about at Metropolis is exactly what Iā€™m after and is exactly what I as talking about in an earlier post.

Although Iā€™m apprehensive to part with so much cash, I can see the right service and experience on the bike would take me there. Love the sound of being able to take my time on the bike for a long test ride. @kcoops did you specifically ask for that?

@Serrisan followed yours and @kcoopsā€™s advice, just got off the phone with Barhnstomer Thames Valley. Was more helpful, but the person I spoke to wasnā€™t Aldo and since @kcoops is making the referral theyā€™re going to get Aldo call me back later as they were busy.

Going to give Powerbiking High Wycombe and Ducati Aylesbury a call later to see about R6 and V2.

2 Likes

@kylejs no I didnā€™t, Aldo offered it. Once he realised I am genuinely interested and not just looking to joy ride he was accommodating. Not saying that he will offer you the same, but you never know. An hour is not enough time, you need more than that.

1 Like

Test ride booked for next Thursday, got the bike for 4-5 hours :star_struck:

@kcoops Aldo was very pleased to have the referral and thanked me several times for asking for him, so make sure you get that discount :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Maybe you could get the 2019 model now :joy:

3 Likes