BMW 800 GS Adventure

Hello Kids,

What are your thoughts on the BMW 800 GS Adventure, just asking for a friend whistles

Depends what you want to do with it; loads of people are happy with them. Common complaints are “it’s a BMW” (no real getting round that), that the suspension’s a bit shit on older/lower-end models (£400 gets you a set of fork cartridges that’ll be absolutely fine), genuine parts/servicing are expensive (that’s a feature!), the ABS on older ones is a bit crap (I think it can be disabled) and that the engine’s oddly uninvolving for an 800cc twin.

I have no opinions on it other than what BRS has said. I’ve not seen many of them about either if you want to judge popularity as a thing.

you might also want to consider also the NC750

heheh well the “…It’s a BMW…” that’s a very English complaint (wonder why. it’s ok guys you won!). I’m looking for a reliable do it all/trail bike that looks good (for once), with good range and luggage capability, not looking to buy now. Also I’m thinking that if I throw 2.5K more in I can buy a new AT for the price of a second hand 800 GS…

Edit: I’ve looked at GS1200 but I think it’s an overkill, too big for my needs

I've not seen many of them about either if you want to judge popularity as a thing. me_groovy
What? They're fucking everywhere. 

Also consider the KTM 990 & 950 ADV, Tiger 800 (maybe less so if the woods are your thing), XT660Z (way better at road things than they look, but they are tall). A more off-roady/touringy forum might be a better place to ask than LB which is largely IT workers on sportsbikes, too :slight_smile:

There’ve been quite a few people with ATs have issues, and I think they’re a factory down now, too, so if you’re looking at getting one you’re on a long waiting list for delivery and potentially another for warranty work.

There've been quite a few people with ATs have issues, and I think they're a factory down now, too, so if you're looking at getting one you're on a long waiting list for delivery and potentially another for warranty work. Big Red S
Already?

The 990 & 950 ADV as much as I like them they have scary service bills

Yeah, I’ve not kept too abreast of it, but certainly there’s been issues with the DCT electronics, and some corrosion issues. I’m not sure the KTMs would be hugely more expensive than a BMW.

Yeah, I've not kept too abreast of it, but certainly there's been issues with the DCT electronics, and some corrosion issues. I'm not sure the KTMs would be hugely more expensive than a BMW. Big Red S
Now that you mention there is some nice KTM's with low miles at attractive prices... oh the choices!!

Yeah, the 990 and 950 seem to be often overlooked nowadays for the more refined 1050 and 1190 but by all accounts (and not just Martin’s) they’re great bikes.

Find a decent independent service place and it won’t matter what bike you own. Unless it has a load of fancy electronic bits. A good mechanic can service any bike.

Personally I think them bikes are OK. GeoffB should be able to give you a better opinion on them.

Are you planning on taking it off road?  If not consider the KTM 1050 Adventure can be fitted with PR4 road tyres, 23L fuel tank, and a bit more power.

Are you planning on taking it off road?  If not consider the KTM 1050 Adventure can be fitted with PR4 road tyres, 23L fuel tank, and a bit more power. Kevsta

Eventually, at some point, maybe… the use will be mainly on road. BUT I like the riding style and possibilities, hence why I’m not looking at sports touring

What’s your budget?

What's your budget? whereisgibson
Since I'm not in a rush and the new job will allow me to save a bit more... 8K to 10K. Depends also, I'm looking into extras, I've seen 990s for 7.5 K loaded with panniers, spot lights etc... etc with 10 000 miles from 2013

Yamaha Tracer. With lower seat.(Seemingly it is more comfortable)

How much off-road to on-road riding will you do?

How much off-road to on-road riding will you do? hogtrumpet

80% on road for the foreseeable future.

80% on road for the foreseeable future. WildBoy
Real 80% or my sort of 80%, where I've been offroad twice in the year I've had an adventure bike? :)
80% on road for the foreseeable future. WildBoy
Real 80% or my sort of 80%, where I've been offroad twice in the year I've had an adventure bike? :) hogtrumpet
Pretty much my friend

KTM 990 sounds perfect then.

What about splitting functionality and having a dedicated offroad bike and something else for commuting/touring?