BMW 800 GS Adventure

I don’t think that’s really the right question. Optimistically estimating how many miles I’ve done off-road on the Tiger in the last year, I’m a little less than 1% off-road by mileage, and that’s spent about half the time on knobbly tyres. I don’t really ride very much off road, but it is fairly important to me that I can have fun doing it.

The better question, really, is how important the off-road competence is, and whether that changes when it comes at the expense of on-road competence. A lot of off-road ability comes without any real drop in road competence; the roadie versions of any of the adventure bikes are genuinely good road bikes, and it’s not as if the off-road ones are bad road bikes either.

Stick halfway-decent road tyres on any adventure bike and you’ve got a good road bike, but it’s much harder to make a good road-orientated thing into a reasonable off-road bike.

KTM 990 sounds perfect then.

What about splitting functionality and having a dedicated offroad bike and something else for commuting/touring?

hogtrumpet

That’s the thing, I’m gonna live so close to the new office that I will be cycling to it, gets you healthier and saves money and annoys other motorists too. So I plan to winter my Vstrom in Spain after the summer and leave it there for when I visit and buy a nice bike next winter to use on weekends and longer trips. I won’t be looking to the sensible option that much. However I fancy something that if I ever want to put it on the mud I don’t need to think twice about it. 

Who do want to be, Euan or Charlie?  :wink:  

I always liked Ewan, Charlie always tried too hard

Not sure if it is applicable to the GS models, but the early F800 engine were painted silver, avoid those always go for the black painted engines.  This comes from an ex-BMW service engineer.

Not sure if it is applicable to the GS models, but the early F800 engine were painted silver, avoid those always go for the black painted engines.  This comes from an ex-BMW service engineer. Kevsta
Many thanks for the advice,  I will take good note of it