Advice needed: Ducati 996 vs steam oven

£2,799.00 :w00t:

I’m thinking you need a name change Romeo, how about

Wanderer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzdigxCIuOE

Haha.

I’m not even going to click on that link in case it wastes my bandwidth.
Got to start saving £0.01 for that £2,798.99 :slight_smile:

Waste of money honestly. Who on earth would want something that pricey with no wheels?

£2800 for a washer is nuts.
Maybe if you’re rich but for the rest of us…
I’ve renovated an entire for only slightly more than that (albeit doing the labour myself).

well I agree (who wouldn’t?!!)

The problem is … this is how some people see us, buying motorcycles. Why not get a 250cc scooter, instead of a Ducati 996? It gets you around. Unless you’re loaded…!

Romeo.

Whilst you’re doing the kitchen, get Howdens to give you a quote. They will come around and design the kitchen for free. They aren’t the cheapest but the quality is far better than ikea or b&q and the cabinets arrive preassembled and that saves a bit of labour cost.
Usually, I would recommend a cheaper b&q kitchen for a rental flat as tenants ruin them anyway but as it’s your own I’d spend a little more on the quality. They are designed better and last MUCH longer :slight_smile:
Also, if you do go ahead, I have a trade discount that will help you get the kitchen cheaper :slight_smile:

Nearly £3k for a washer! Now, I know Miele are a good brand that should last a while, but put it into perspective. Washer Driers never last as long as separate washer and drier, more stuff to go wrong. Most other manufacturers don’t have a standard warranty past 12 months on them. Next, ~£400 buys you a middle of road LG 8Kg A+++ washer drier. That is, you can buy seven LG machines for same money as that Miele! Let’s be conservative, this LG machine has a 2 year warranty (10 on the motor), let’s say you get around 3-4 years out of each one - then for the Miele to pay for itself it needs to last longer than around 25 years… Assuming it doesn’t need repairing beyond that 8 year warranty. Also assuming in that time you’re other half hasn’t got bored of it and wants some funky new featured machines, which is rated A+++++++++. But, if you went down the cheaper route, machines 4, 5, 6 and 7 you buy probably will have funky new future feature and will be rated A++++++++

These days, white goods need to be treated as consumables. If you want something to last decades then you need to pay crazy money (like this Miele), and then it’s often still not worth it, as it doesn’t save any money and you don’t keep up to date with latest features and energy saving designs.

If you want to splurge on a kitchen, stick the money on solid wood fitted cabinets and well fitted granite worktops. These will far out live any white goods you buy and will add real value to your property.

Mate… I have a suspicion that your girlfriend is trying to find ways to spend the cash anywhere else but the Ducati!!!

Having said that, I guess the discussion you should have is why she doesn’t want the Ducati rather than trying to figure out why she wants a £3K washing machine!

my missus would slap me if I didn’t spend it on the ducati. My 748 was the main reason she went on a date with me in the first place :wink:

Really great advice from everyone. Def don’t get a steam oven, I feel it’s a gimmick at the moment. Get a fan oven and if you use it a lot, get an eye level oven, saves on bending and hurting your back each time you take things in and out. A double oven is useful if you’re going to do a lot of entertaining.

As for the washing machine, I just wouldn’t spend money on premium products, it’s a waste of time. I’ve done both. My Miele fridge was expensive and awful. My LG American fridge was way cheaper (around £650) and absolutely brilliant. Go for a washing machine and dryer separate as Arfa said, stacked in a column they won’t use much space. Go for the Bosch Logixx 9 £699, or Aeg, neff (same as Bosch) john lewis (made by aeg) are good too.

If you’re going to use the Ducati a lot, every day, then get it.

And separate accounts + joint account for things like mortgage, bills, holidays.

Well to be blunt, I think you need to figure out what you want to ride for the next six months and then make a decision.

Actually I would avoid AEG, now part of the Electrsucks brand, along with Zanoosey and others. Waste of time. Had a £500 AEG Washer drier, lasted 3 years then written off.

Bosch are beautiful machines, hewn from granite.

Jaime,

Howdens are a load of sh*t.

I can’t express my thoughts about them more strongly. They’ve come around giving me two estimates, the second time they never even bothered drawing it up on CAD. Both times, their beautiful brochure showing plenty of stunning kitchens were all ‘unavailable’ for the sizes I wanted the units. I was condemned to either 600mm or 900mm units.

It’s fine if you just want a factory off the shelf kitchen. I’ve never bought a kitchen before, and like a motorcycle one piece suit, I’m not going to buy one just because it’s the only one left on the rack. They are appalling: their survey guys don’t show up on time. They don’t send their CAD diagrams out as promised: even then, the dimensions were all wrong; the units and design was all wrong (like, a square sink, instead of the round one I had requested??) and they asked me to “use my imagination”.

I did - and I imagined I didn’t have to deal with them. Boy did it feel good :smiley:

As for the quality of their products - I couldn’t tell any difference between them and Wren Kitchens. I just want a very small but very specific jewel kitchen, which is incredibly compact that it’s like the tardis, so that you wouldn’t even notice I have a kitchen. One oven; one washer dryer; one low fridge for the beer and maybe a freezer but we don’t have many dead bodies or meat to dispose of.

Thanks for the kind offer in any case. I already get trade discounts, no ties with the trade mafia lol.

Nice missus :slight_smile:

Mine puts up with boyishness. She thinks real men drive cars. Lol! Ain’t she a darling. 1000% no way! That Jeremy Clarkson has a lot to answer for.

Hmm. I’ve definitely got the order all wrong. I already ride an Italian bike. Now I need to figure out how to decide…before I make any more decisions.

The Bosch Logix were definitely the ones on my hit list. One nice thing about sketching my own kitchen plan, is that by the time I get to assemble the CAD design, the appliances are all yesterday’s models, so I have to start again. That’s how I’ve avoided replacing the kitchen :slight_smile:

Now motorcycles…that’s different. If my regulator didn’t blow, it wouldn’t have made me dither as much.

I think you’ve nailed it. She always seems worried, and I guess with motorcycle accidents and careless car drivers on the rise, she’s not fond of motorcycles at all. She doesn’t even like steam irons, let alone steam ovens - I know because my shirts are never pressed lol! As for washing machines, apparently clothes are really “fragile” are hers need to be handwashed. “Does the designer label doesn’t survive the wash cycle?”

Dog house!!! woof.

Strange one Romeo.
My dealing with them on the 4 kitchens we have done using their products have been good which is a shame for me really as I HATE Them. Their sales guy always hangs around b&q and similar and stalks contractors. They force their sales pitch on you constantly. I eventually after the 3rd or 4th time of dealing with the guy, told him to £&@££ off. Then my boss got one of their kitchens and it was actually quite nice and we did so much less work with their things.

Other than that they have been great

Romeo, Scorch on here does kitchens. If it’s only a few units you need and you have awkward spaces you might be better off going bespoke and getting a builder to do the job.
And get the appliances yourself, it’ll be cheaper

As for your girlfriend’s objections…get her to try it out and book her on a CBT :slight_smile: she might change her mind…

Totally agree with this. After sadly parting with my bike years ago on moving to London, Arthur couldn’t see the point of me having a bike, after all I didn’t need it for transport anymore. He thought I was just pining for my lost youth and being a bit silly going on about how it wasn’t the same as driving a car etc. Fast forward a decade and he gets a new job, with a pain in the arse commute and I suggest him getting a motorbike. Now he has finally cottoned on to how it is much more than just a form of transport and wouldn’t be without it now…

EASY SOLUTION! :slight_smile:

Buy Ducati

On way way back from purchase, stop in at £1 shop

Buy small metal pot ( litre capacity) without handles

Punch two small 5 mm holes in pot lid

Take home , put on oven , fill pot with 1 litre tapwater

Turn on oven to 200c - place filled pot in oven with food to be cooked.

and Voila! Food is now steamed as it cooks (replenish pot with water where necessary ) BETTER than any steam oven

Sit down and enjoy food

Later, go out and enjoy Ducati

JOB DONE! :smiley:

As it happens I am in the middle of costing a kitchen re-fit, and pyrolytic ovens are the current topic of debate.

1, are they any good
2, are they worth the additional £150+ of a normal oven
3, Are Miele worth their weight in gold (they cost as much)

Mr TimR, you are wise
You want a Duke, pay 2k then buy it. She will have no argument to the contrary, job done.